• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I'm not sure that statement could be truthful in every way.  Purchasing a $1000 modern book and selling it for a significant higher amount when it peaks? I'd say that worked out and wasn't stupid. There will be wins and losses in this hobby when you speculate or buy comics at a certain price point.

Sure it's a win but doesn't make it any less stupid when there are other books you could put that money into that are a safer bet and have shown to be growing over the years. Throwing that much money into a modern book is stupid, win or lose, great it you win not so much if you lose, in the end still a stupid move and only a handful of modern books you could do this with anyway.

6 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Modern books that will be keys regardless will be extremely hard to find for cover price.  Please go find a Walking Dead 1, UF4, EOS2, Invincible 1, Chew 1 at cover price right now.
There are collectors that exclusively collect modern books and only chase after comics of that era.  There will always be a market for modern books.

I already have, bought for cover price, I have no interest in the other books so I wouldn't go looking for them. The fact is these are modern books, they are out there, we aren't talking golden/silver age stuff, these things are out there if you look for them. If you actually have interest in the hobby they'd be on your pull list anyway and you wouldn't need to worry about paying inflated prices for things.

BTW if you look at all of my posts, I exclusively collect modern books :p

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I think its a terrible reflection of the market when 2nd prints of Ruins haven't even come out and people are asking $50 an issue. 

Online retailers sold out of them even selling them at $10-20 each.

That being said he is about the only consistent writer Marvel has right now.

That’s a complete pump and dump as discussed at the comics heating up forum. 

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I would say it differently. Id rather put $1k in a stable growing Silver or Bronze key. 

The fluctuation of the modern market along with the fraud and market manipulation
has soured many collectors on moderns in general.

Are all $1K Silver and Bronze key safe bets?  I don't think so and its hard to consider what would be "stable".  Wouldn't that be more opinion based?

I think we've seen fraud and manipulation in other ways.  I mean look at AF15 which wasn't quite rare with many collectors sitting on many copies and then the market seeing more copies hit as soon as there was a higher price growth.  Wasn't that a level of price manipulation?  

While I personally wouldn't put a thousand bucks towards any modern key, I would think in certain situations and books that 1K can get you safer bets in modern books then 1 single silver/bronze age book.  That's again my opinion and neither of us really knows.  All in fun speculating on price growths.

4 hours ago, IbukiLord said:

The fact is these are modern books, they are out there, we aren't talking golden/silver age stuff, these things are out there if you look for them. If you actually have interest in the hobby they'd be on your pull list anyway and you wouldn't need to worry about paying inflated prices for things.

There are a bunch of silver age books that are highly regarded AND also had high print runs.  Pretty easy to find almost any silver age book in any condition if you look for them.  Golden age is another story and dependent on the book.    I have plenty of "interest in the hobby" but haven't had a pull list in 25 years.  You don't need a pull list to have an interest in collecting.  I'd rather save my coin for other books rather then paying $4-6 for books every week (10 books=$40-60 a week=$160-240 a month) that don't hold much interest for me and only a small percent will actually retain their value....in the same way as most copper/bronze/silver age. 

Too bad we don't have resources that allow us to order books months ahead of time so we don't waste money on books we aren't currently collecting, oh wait..... :p

but you do you, enjoy paying your over inflated prices for a book you could have ordered for $4 if you put in a bit of effort.

And for anyone selling to people like that, well done :)

Edited by IbukiLord

7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

We are guilty of promoting this book alot the last few years.
It is a truly scarce book. My last copy I sold for $150 about a month ago or so.

The first issue is heating up, as well as the last. There was a tease of the return of the Milestone characters by one of the creators recently. Seems like the prefect time for it. I do hope that if they bring back Statis, it's with the name and look. worked better than "Static Shock" I think (even if that's the name most will remember due to the show)

9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Seems early to be putting that much into that book.

9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Fixed that for you.

Harley's current series is ending at #75. Somebody somewhere has surmised that she will be killed off in favor of Punchline. Thus more people investing in Punchline.
That being said, I doubt they would kill off a character with as much mass appeal as her, multiple movies, etc...   (like Wolverine...wait, he was killed off...)

1 hour ago, Avi said:

Lucky guy! I would drop them in a heart beat at these prices.

At least get one graded. If the Knull train keeps rolling then this first appearance and first cover (I'd still go with #4 as first cover but what do I know) then a graded one could be worth a hell of a lot more down the line.

7 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

There are a bunch of silver age books that are highly regarded AND also had high print runs.  Pretty easy to find almost any MARVEL silver age book in any condition if you look for them.  Golden age is another story and dependent on the book.    I have plenty of "interest in the hobby" but haven't had a pull list in 25 years.  You don't need a pull list to have an interest in collecting.  I'd rather save my coin for other books rather then paying $4-6 for books every week (10 books=$40-60 a week=$160-240 a month) that don't hold much interest for me and only a small percent will actually retain their value....in the same way as most copper/bronze/silver age. 

FTFY

I’m wondering why God of Thunder 6 isn’t seeing the growths Venom 3 is seeing... Comichron reports orders of 85k for Venom 3, and 50k for GOT 6. For me it GOT 6 has certainly been harder to find in NM+ shape. I guess it’s because there are still backstock boxes with GOT 6 that haven’t been reopened since it was taken off the new release wall, whereas Venom 3 was hot out the gate and less likely to end up in bargain bins? Is it the cover? The fact that it’s a Cates book? Or are people unaware of Thor God of Thunder 6, as far as the casual collector goes?

God of Thunder 6 is like half the price of Venom 3, and not long ago it was more.