• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I can't see them killing Quinn.  Unless it's Punchline killing Quinn to legitimize her a bit more.  

IMO, Punchline has been terrible.  Granted, she's new.  But nothing interests me about her.  It's like Quinn and that character from Doomsday Clock mashed together. 

Wolverine was technically killed, but he was never out of comics.  They just had a different version(s).  When that ran its' course, he was back.

Patrick

I agree for the most part. I will say that Harley took a long time to take off however. Unlike Punchline. But this is a different era.

the companies will never kill off a character completely.. they'll always be back in some shape or form...once you've read 3-5 issues of Deadpool or Harley Quinn you've pretty much read them all. since they're pretty much the same..

57 minutes ago, littledoom said:

the companies will never kill off a character completely.. they'll always be back in some shape or form...once you've read 3-5 issues of Deadpool or Harley Quinn you've pretty much read them all. since they're pretty much the same..

And if you read the New 52 Harley Red Tool arc, you can have both in the same book. 

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I will always be bothered by 2nd, 3rd, 4th prints (etc) getting so much attention.  These books come out months after the 1st print and should thus not be allowed to count as a 1st appearance or key book.  They should be no different than re-prints.  I have a re-print of Incredible Hulk #181...should that still count as the 1st appearance of Wolverine?  Any value is purely a matter of rarity.

Completely agree. The rarity is purely manufactured, since an Xth print will always have a lower print run. Having variant covers for those just adds to the gimmicky-ness of this.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I will always be bothered by 2nd, 3rd, 4th prints (etc) getting so much attention.  These books come out months after the 1st print and should thus not be allowed to count as a 1st appearance or key book.  They should be no different than re-prints.  I have a re-print of Incredible Hulk #181...should that still count as the 1st appearance of Wolverine?  Any value is purely a matter of rarity.

Bothered? If you don't like them, don't buy them. Pretty simple.

47 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't buy them.  I buy books I enjoy reading, and prefer owning 1st prints.  I think it's because I'm old.  :preach:

A lot has flip-flopped.  Later prints were considered garbage in the past.  Same with newsstands and the non-comic cameos.  Many of us older collectors feel the same today.  But ignoring those for so long are what make people want them today.  Seeing similarities in toys.  Once the financial ball gets behind it, we end up where we are today (nobody hates cash except for supertramp).

Patrick

17 hours ago, Jitstark said:
20 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yeah they might do it for a month's of sales, but they would bring her back the next month. Even if they were they would, they would build it up for months
to get more money out of us.

Well, Punchline has already slit her throat in Batman 93. I don't read HQ so I don't know where that fits in with Batman.

Did she die? Thats really all that matters. 

2 hours ago, TrayKnight said:

I think he's saying that all the reprints somewhat devalue the 1st print.....and down the road will hurt the hobby.

I think it only hurts the hobby when people think they have to buy something because it's going to be valuable, but turns out not to be. That's why I say buy what you like. Sure, tastes will change and you'll no longer be interested in holding something, but the joy of owning the item outweighs whatever feelings come from owning something because it's valuable.

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

A lot has flip-flopped.  Later prints were considered garbage in the past.  Same with newsstands and the non-comic cameos.  Many of us older collectors feel the same today.  But ignoring those for so long are what make people want them today.  Seeing similarities in toys.  Once the financial ball gets behind it, we end up where we are today (nobody hates cash except for supertramp).

Patrick

I'm probably old enough now to be one of those "older collectors"

23 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think it only hurts the hobby when people think they have to buy something because it's going to be valuable, but turns out not to be. That's why I say buy what you like. Sure, tastes will change and you'll no longer be interested in holding something, but the joy of owning the item outweighs whatever feelings come from owning something because it's valuable.

(thumbsu

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

One shop I make sure to spend money on every trip is a guy who bought over $1k of books from me
at flea market in college one weekend. I tell the owner every time I come in or his manager that I am 
still paying him back for financing one semester of my college. I have never forgot it because I was
broke at the time. Karma is a great thing sometimes. 

:applause:(thumbsu

5 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

yes. your reprint is still the first appearance as presented in hulk 181... it's just not the "first edition", original, 1st print, whatever you want to call it. story wise, still the first appearance.

asm361 2nd print is still the first appearance of carnage. Its just printed differently (silver ink) than the first printing

but agree, why a later printing decides to take off over the original/first printing goes over my head.

4 minutes ago, devald said:

yes. your reprint is still the first appearance as presented in hulk 181... it's just not the "first edition", original, 1st print, whatever you want to call it. story wise, still the first appearance.

asm361 2nd print is still the first appearance of carnage. Its just printed differently (silver ink) than the first printing

but agree, why a later printing decides to take off over the original/first printing goes over my head.

Neither Hulk 181 nor any of its various reprints, is the first appearance of Wolverine. Same with ASM361.

37 minutes ago, devald said:

it's quite simple: the cover art