• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

Yes color variations have been around for years.

A niche collecting market will pay a little more for one, but thats all it is. The normal collector market
will only occasionally recognize them and they have to quite a bit drastically different.

Now with this book and the hype market it will get pushed by certain sites/collectors. Great for them
if they find a sucker, but its just a color variation from the printing.

27 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

If people want to pay more for a color varaition its no different than someone buying a 2nd print marvel point one with kamala Khan over the 1st printing.  I know the all black eos #2 recalls were the 1st printings before being changed over to the magenta color.  In between the black cover and corrected cover was the maroonish darker magenta color.   I think the solid black color cover will command a premium at some point, but the market will dictate when or if it happens.

It's quite different because we're talking about two distinct print runs. In the case of Marvel Point One (and every other book that went back to press for an additional printing), the first was in short supply, so it went back to press with a very distinct change/addition that separated it from the first printing. Also, I'd like to know what source you have that EOS was recalled.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It's quite different because we're talking about two distinct print runs. In the case of Marvel Point One (and every other book that went back to press for an additional printing), the first was in short supply, so it went back to press with a very distinct change/addition that separated it from the first printing. Also, I'd like to know what source you have that EOS was recalled.

To me its exactly the same.  If someone wants to pay extra for a variation so be it.  I could care less honestly, just stating its up to the buyer to decide what they want to spend their money on.  With that said, i remember my local comic shop getting a notice that the first printings of EOS #2 had ink bleeding and to cull them.  These would be the error black printings some people were lucky to get.   As for their value,  its up to the buyers to decide.  Id rather spend my money on a nice copy of hulk 181....but to each his own. 

Heres a site with the supposed error notice

http://www.recalledcomics.com/EdgeOfSpider-Verse2Error.php

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I think some of you people need to spend time at a printing press for a few days, and run the machine for hours on end. 

I have.  Ink happens. 

Oh i knoe people who currently wirk on printing books/leaflets...and it is indeed an inking issue....still a variant on the normal edition that some people collect.  Like i said above, id rather buy a hulk 181 over an error in inking or what not, but every buyer has their own free will to choose what to spend their money on. 

2 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

To me its exactly the same.  If someone wants to pay extra for a variation so be it.  I could care less honestly, just stating its up to the buyer to decide what they want to spend their money on.  With that said, i remember my local comic shop getting a notice that the first printings of EOS #2 had ink bleeding and to cull them.  These would be the error black printings some people were lucky to get.   As for their value,  its up to the buyers to decide.  Id rather spend my money on a nice copy of hulk 181....but to each his own. 

Heres a site with the supposed error notice

http://www.recalledcomics.com/EdgeOfSpider-Verse2Error.php

But it's not the same. I could lay out a line of books that have slight variations in color, and the point at which the run changes from the "light" version to the "dark" version would be subjective. It's not subjective with something like a second print. There's a different barcode.

Your source acknowledges there was no official notification to pull the books (i.e. there was no recall).

27 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

But it's not the same. I could lay out a line of books that have slight variations in color, and the point at which the run changes from the "light" version to the "dark" version would be subjective. It's not subjective with something like a second print. There's a different barcode.

Your source acknowledges there was no official notification to pull the books (i.e. there was no recall).

No the website doesnt say if it was a recall or not, but a local comic shop by me that received the error black print was told to pull the comics and send back for a refund/corrected version.  I know a few people had already gotten to the comics before the owner could/before he read the email directing him to pull the comic, so they were sold to a few people.  This is when the book first hit the shelves.   

5 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

Oh i knoe people who currently wirk on printing books/leaflets...and it is indeed an inking issue....still a variant on the normal edition that some people collect.  Like i said above, id rather buy a hulk 181 over an error in inking or what not, but every buyer has their own free will to choose what to spend their money on. 

I personally love error and recalled versions of books but I keep it within financial reason and I'd like the label to denote the error/recall. For me it just adds a bit more exclusivity to my collection. If the label says nothing about it or there isn't multiple sources to say its an error then I wouldn't bother as color variations happen more often than people think.

4 hours ago, Jitstark said:

I personally love error and recalled versions of books but I keep it within financial reason and I'd like the label to denote the error/recall. For me it just adds a bit more exclusivity to my collection. If the label says nothing about it or there isn't multiple sources to say its an error then I wouldn't bother as color variations happen more often than people think.

I've got a few of those as well. The Wolverine issue with the slur. There was a New Titans issues around the same time that had some sort of production issue (don't remember what it was exactly; the corrected version has a different color bullet). And an Invincible Iron Man issue with a production error. I think the corrected version is indistinguishable from the error, from the outside.

4 hours ago, I like pie said:
11 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

Trash. Complete speculation without facts. They have no idea if the "printing was stopped" and no source that retailers were asked to pull copies.

Not a variant. Not an error. Every book has this to some degree.

That site should know better then to print that without some facts to back it up.

17 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

recalledcomics.com is a good resource for which books to look out for and a fun site to look thru, but I would put little stock in in some of it's ratings. For example I have found so many of the Wolverine 131 recalled book (that the site rates as very low distribution) in the wild that I quit buying them.

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

nm87

sw8

asm300

are just a few with more obvious different tints due to the printing

Fixed. If you look at enough copies of nearly any comic, you will see variances in the inks.

However, because the issues you mentioned all prominently feature red, it's difficult or impossible to tell by looking at the front cover whether copy has weak magenta or is just faded.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Fixed. If you look at enough copies of nearly any comic, you will see variances in the inks.

However, because the issues you mentioned all prominently feature red, it's difficult or impossible to tell by looking at the front cover whether copy has weak magenta or is just faded.

thanks RMA

22 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Which one of these should I sell at a premium?

Both! One as the rare gray variant and the other as the rare blue variant. Everybody wins... if some sucker falls for it... and you are somehow everybody.

6 minutes ago, BishopT said:

All new Marvel Now Point One #1 is no joke right now, even if it’s just 1st print. I was selling that book for $50-60 all year last year and here we are... half decent NM- copies are selling for $189 shipped. 

I remember I sold all 10 VF/NM raws I plucked from a dollar sale for $40 each on ebay when it heated up like 2-3 years ago