• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

And it was like a $10 book before the suddenly the pump and dumpers with soap boxes claimed how rare it was. The idea it's the rarest Spider-Gwen variant is a joke. Conveniently it's suddenly on Mr. Long/Short's Flipside Channel, CBSI Hot Ten, CBSI Hot Variants. And yet suddenly, right at the pump time, it's on his Ebay account for $500 (as well as a lot of his other pumps). Most of the other sellers conveniently also have a lot of the books you see pushed on these sites as well. Later prints with no cover difference didn't sell because they're less desirable. These people have simply figured out they can buy up cheap comics, pump them as a group, and flip them for profits. All while the next unassuming schmuck gets stuck with the soon to be forgotten comic.

Very well said.

On the flip side...not everyone is or was even aware of all the sites you mention.

Some of us actually have a knowledge of what people buy and what gets hot by paying attention to the trends over the years. 25 years in my case.

I do not follow any of these sites that have been mentioned...

But somehow I knew these later smaller print books with different color borders was eventually take off.

not with a certainty but a strong feeling. 

ever since the purple border Thor 1 Jane foster came out.

Nobody wanted them but I bought up all I could find for 10 bucks or so a pop

how did I know? I think there’s more to it then simply “pumpers”

Now not saying nobody is pumping. Why not?? They bought into an idea and saw a trend...now there cashing in.

don’t  be salty 

14073DFE-748C-40D9-8A50-1B54822DF781.png

Edited by Shoomanfoo

4 hours ago, Tnexus said:

And it was like a $10 book before the suddenly the pump and dumpers with soap boxes claimed how rare it was. The idea it's the rarest Spider-Gwen variant is a joke. Conveniently it's suddenly on Mr. Long/Short's Flipside Channel, CBSI Hot Ten, CBSI Hot Variants. And yet suddenly, right at the pump time, it's on his Ebay account for $500 (as well as a lot of his other pumps). Most of the other sellers conveniently also have a lot of the books you see pushed on these sites as well. Later prints with no cover difference didn't sell because they're less desirable. These people have simply figured out they can buy up cheap comics, pump them as a group, and flip them for profits. All while the next unassuming schmuck gets stuck with the soon to be forgotten comic.

All you can do is point it out to fellow collectors and not give these groups or apps your hard earned money. 

There’s enough free sites like comics heating up and others who provide info and insight that paying isn’t necessary. 

5 hours ago, littledoom said:

I feel like this site/thread is the most honest and modest.. others feel pushy to give an edge leaning in their favor.. here actual "sold" facts are being reported

Yes this is a fact...

Theres a few hard nose and very knowledgeable guys on here that will pick apart misinformation and buggery swiftly and bluntly.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

9 hours ago, Tnexus said:
14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That book is really hard to find too. I think I have only seen one or two copies. That being said
it has to be a different type of buyer to chase that book with that type of money.

While I am not disagreeing with your logic here the book is hard to find. I rarely see it out and about in the many shops I look.

I don't tell anyone here a book is hard to find unless it is and I have the experience of traveling to shops and shows to prove it.

Does it deserve a premium? It just depends on if you value scarcity really. Other then that its just a 1st issue.

Edited by fastballspecial

5 hours ago, littledoom said:

I feel like this site/thread is the most honest and modest.. others feel pushy to give an edge leaning in their favor.. here actual "sold" facts are being reported

That's what I always have liked here and when I started this site taught me that. 

Speculation has its own thread I like to deal in data and as much facts as can be provided.

10 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Very well said.

On the flip side...not everyone is or was even aware of all the sites you mention.

Some of us actually have a knowledge of what people buy and what gets hot by paying attention to the trends over the years. 25 years in my case.

I do not follow any of these sites that have been mentioned...

But somehow I knew these later smaller print books with different color borders was eventually take off.

not with a certainty but a strong feeling. 

ever since the purple border Thor 1 Jane foster came out.

Nobody wanted them but I bought up all I could find for 10 bucks or so a pop

how did I know? I think there’s more to it then simply “pumpers”

Now not saying nobody is pumping. Why not?? They bought into an idea and saw a trend...now there cashing in.

don’t  be salty 

14073DFE-748C-40D9-8A50-1B54822DF781.png

Man, your phone battery is giving me anxiety.

I don’t mean to sound condescending but who is forcing any collector to purchase a $500 “pump ‘n dump” comic that was $5 a week before?

Isn’t speculating on comics (or any collectible) a gamble? I personally have had busts before but those purchases were all on me.

Not trying to start an argument.....just a discussion.

Happy collecting!

Meck

24 minutes ago, Meckler said:

I don’t mean to sound condescending but who is forcing any collector to purchase a $500 “pump ‘n dump” comic that was $5 a week before?

Isn’t speculating on comics (or any collectible) a gamble? I personally have had busts before but those purchases were all on me.

Not trying to start an argument.....just a discussion.

Happy collecting!

Meck

Not at all...very well said.

not to mention that this type of spec is adding steam to the hobby and keeping it vital.

its the new age of spec collecting/investing that’s putting big fast money in our pockets to put it back into the market to buy tried and true keys.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That's what I always have liked here and when I started this site taught me that. 

Speculation has its own thread I like to deal in data and as much facts as can be provided.

There's a Speculation thread on CGC? I need in

On 8/13/2020 at 7:14 PM, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: If people get any dumber...

Case in point.... just look at some of the books shown on CGC facebook pages that are being slabbed, like US 1.

2 hours ago, jokiing said:

Case in point.... just look at some of the books shown on CGC facebook pages that are being slabbed, like US 1.

That’s going to blow up now...

Im buying all the high grade copies of US 1 I can find!!!

Its rare as hell in 9.8 (because who gives a mess)

3 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Last post was 5 years ago. Lol. 

It ended with spiderverse  2 4th print

that wasn’t such horrible advice actually as it was a 5-10 book at that time.

If someone bought say 20 copies and decided to cash in now that would be a 900.00 return just on high grade raw books