• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
3 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

So would you agree there's a certain legitimacy in the claim that Static's first appearance is in Icon #1?

Absolutely not. It's an ad.

I would call it a preview similar to Savage Dragon and He-man are to Invincible.
It features part of the story in a preview format for a couple of pages. I have both copies in front of me. 

Its enough that spec sites will promote it.

Edited by fastballspecial

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its not an ad I have both copies in front of me. I would call it a preview similiar to Savage Dragon and He-man are to Invincible.
It features part of the story in a preview format for a couple of pages. 

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, a preview is a specific type of ad that shows multiple pieces of content that were created for an upcoming issue. Most regular ads only show a single piece, which is most often the cover.

13 minutes ago, catch21 said:

Let's make this clear. If the preview is original story, it can be a 1st appearance.  If the preview is taken from upcoming book, it is an ad. Hence, you have to read the books.

I wouldn't disagree with the logic, but I am telling you others wont look at it that way. Our old ways of looking at comics are slowing coming to an end. Years ago
who would ever think to push Hulk 180.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I wouldn't disagree with the logic, but I am telling you others wont look at it that way. Our old ways of looking at comics are slowing coming to an end. Years ago

Didn't Overstreet list IH 180 as the first Wolverine in the 70's or 80's?

6 minutes ago, Juno Beach said:
2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Didn't Overstreet list IH 180 as the first Wolverine in the 70's or 80's?

I am not going to start up a debate that new speculators want on this book, but it comes down to this for me. 
1st app isn't the argument. The debate is whether that 1 panel is more important then the 1st full story which
to me it isn't. (I have read this many times from others as well.)

So 180 is only worth what a new collector will pay as older collectors want 181.

7 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I am not going to start up a debate that new speculators want on this book, but it comes down to this for me. 
1st app isn't the argument. The debate is whether that 1 panel is more important then the 1st full story which
to me it isn't. (I have read this many times from others as well.)

So 180 is only worth what a new collector will pay as older collectors want 181.

I’m an older collector and I want both. Both are important. Ones his very first appearance ever. Unless you’re counting ads. The others his first full. If forced to choose between the two most would pick 181. Its worth a lot more so it’s more money when you sell.  

5 minutes ago, littledoom said:

For those chasing Wednesday books: looks like Spawn 309 McFarlane cover is the one to get! Selling for $20-25 this morning

Gunslinger Spawn = $$$. Just as a heads up, next month GS Spawn is on the Mattina Cover A.

5 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I’m an older collector and I want both. Both are important. Ones his very first appearance ever. Unless you’re counting ads. The others his first full. If forced to choose between the two most would pick 181. Its worth a lot more so it’s more money when you sell.  

I thought all the ads in Daredevil, Thor and Marvel Premiere were for 181, so 180 would predate those anyway.

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Damn Young Avengers #1 Directors cut selling for $100 is crazy.. I believe two years ago I sold those for $20 a piece .. I had maybe 6-8 of them

Yes a boardie can thank me for that from the sales thread 2 weeks back. Not more then 2 days after I sold a Wizard YA 1 Variant it almost
doubled in price. 

I have actively been buying YA 1 for quite a while. The copy that is really hard is the Reprint anyone know is that a Marvel Legends Copy?
Ive never had one in my hands yet.

6 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Even money in the ad books. I sold a Thor copy with a Jeweler insert for $100 last month. 

I wish I would have kept more copies of Hardware 1 and Static 1. 
When Static 1 hit $25 I unloaded quite a few copies. I have some left, but
I had no idea it would start approaching $50. I wish I would have kept more 
copies of Static 45 and the Platinum. 45 is just a monster. 

Whats funny is there is not shortage of the 1s. The last issues are really 
hard to find though.

7 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes a boardie can thank me for that from the sales thread 2 weeks back. Not more then 2 days after I sold a Wizard YA 1 Variant it almost
doubled in price. 

I have actively been buying YA 1 for quite a while. The copy that is really hard is the Reprint anyone know is that a Marvel Legends Copy?

Used to be a $5 book. Struggled to even get $10-15 on eBay back in 2016, maybe even 2017

Just now, littledoom said:
9 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

doubled in price. 

Used to be a $5 book. Struggled to even get $10-15 on eBay back in 2016, maybe even 2017

Yes I remember, but it also had a couple of spikes, but this one is big. All Kate books are spiking.