• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

I sold my Spawn 179 9.8 last week after sitting for weeks. Of course a week later it blows up

The person who won it purchased about 5 more Spawn 9.8s I had so at least it went to a good buyer 

26 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I am also the self proclaimed Spawn King of Chicago

right @manetteska

As long as you're the self-proclaimed "Spawn King of Chicago" and I have (perhaps) your attention, are any of the Spawn title spin-offs hot? hm

3 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I would advise you the same I advised SA and GA collectors when Guardians of the Galaxy got big and the 1st Groot appearances were sky rocketing.
Sell when everyone wants them. Not when the price is so high everyone is selling them.

The big question is whether one would be heartbroken if they were never able to buy them back on the cheap later on. Sure, the prices might go down when interest wanes, but that might make people hesitant to sell the at the cheaper prices. If you own them and you're interested in owning them because you like them, then maybe keep then. If it's more a matter of cash, then sell when the price is high. Sure, it could go higher, but will it?

You know what I tell them? Buy the :censored: trade. 

Really there is a time to get out and let go. Not being able to realize it sucks.
Just put the money somewhere else.

Edited by fastballspecial

8 hours ago, divad said:

As long as you're the self-proclaimed "Spawn King of Chicago" and I have (perhaps) your attention, are any of the Spawn title spin-offs hot? hm

None sorry. People are only focused on the ongoing series 

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I would advise you the same I advised SA and GA collectors when Guardians of the Galaxy got big and the 1st Groot appearances were sky rocketing.
Sell when everyone wants them. Not when the price is so high everyone is selling them.

Individual books are not quite the same as building a run of 1-300, the chase, the effort, etc.  I agree with you on specific books, especially graded, that are easy to replace. 

6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

You know what I tell them? Buy the :censored: trade. 

Really there is a time to get out and let go. Not being able to realize it sucks.
Just put the money somewhere else.

When people abandon their runs like this, I wonder how many get back into it (recidivism)?  I would wager, not a lot - just like when someone sells off their collection, the overwhelming majority of the time they're not going to buy another comic book down the road.  

17 minutes ago, spreads said:

When people abandon their runs like this, I wonder how many get back into it (recidivism)?  I would wager, not a lot - just like when someone sells off their collection, the overwhelming majority of the time they're not going to buy another comic book down the road.  

I disagree completely. Almost every collector I know has sold off their collections and started back up years later. Hell I’ve sold my different collections over the years several times. I’ve taken huge breaks in collecting  but always come back. I also collect runs although not as many as I used to. 

How many in here have sold off their collections in the past and come back? How many have taken years long breaks from collecting? How many have sold off a run and went back and started collecting it over again? I’m betting the overwhelming majority will say yes to one or all of those questions myself included 

Edited by Corona smith

48 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

How many in here have sold off their collections in the past and come back? How many have taken years long breaks from collecting? How many have sold off a run and went back and started collecting it over again? I’m betting the overwhelming majority will say yes to one or all of those questions myself included 

yes yes yes for the past 35+ years

15 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Spawn has a new set of collectors readers in the past year with the hype machine that McFarlane has become on social media 

new collectors want to collect a series with great art hard to find variants and is still a continuing series

these books may not maintain their current values but I don’t see them dropping like others

I agree.  They will drop.  But many were going for solid cash before the recent craze.  In all honesty, most of 120 thru 220 are not much higher than they previously were.

Patrick

12 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I disagree completely. Almost every collector I know has sold off their collections and started back up years later. Hell I’ve sold my different collections over the years several times. I’ve taken huge breaks in collecting  but always come back. I also collect runs although not as many as I used to. 

Of course the overwhelming majority will say that - you think people that are out of comics troll these boards?  That's like going to burger king and asking the customers, would you rather eat a burger or a plate of sushi?

I've looked-at (and bought) dozens of collections over the years, none of those people that got out of comics got back into them....

Edited by spreads

On 9/3/2020 at 7:52 PM, comixry said:

Speaking of Milestone...is anyone familiar with the Xombi title? Was it any good? I ask because looks like DC did a mini series of it in 2011 (same year Static Shock came out). Wonder why DC didn't reboot the whole Milestone line.

Xombi 2011 was my favorite non-Batman New DC 52 book. I think it was intended to be ongoing but didn't make it.