• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, spreads said:

Of course the overwhelming majority will say that - you think people that are out of comics troll these boards?  That's like going to burger king and asking the customers, would you rather eat a burger or a plate of sushi?

I've looked-at (and bought) dozens of collections over the years, none of those people that got out of comics got back into them....

I've also bought dozens of collections over the years and I'm not aware of any of those people getting back in.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen but many people who sell off move on for good.

13 hours ago, spreads said:

When people abandon their runs like this, I wonder how many get back into it (recidivism)?  I would wager, not a lot - just like when someone sells off their collection, the overwhelming majority of the time they're not going to buy another comic book down the road.  

This. Unless they're mentally-impaired (which is most of us.) :roflmao:

45 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I've also bought dozens of collections over the years and I'm not aware of any of those people getting back in.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen but many people who sell off move on for good.

Or they're dead. :sorry:

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

I've sold off and rebuilt 8 collections since 2000. The thrill for me is in the hunt and trying to build a better collection each time, not in holding books for the long term. 

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, spreads said:
14 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I disagree completely. Almost every collector I know has sold off their collections and started back up years later. Hell I’ve sold my different collections over the years several times. I’ve taken huge breaks in collecting  but always come back. I also collect runs although not as many as I used to. 

How many in here have sold off their collections in the past and come back? How many have taken years long breaks from collecting? How many have sold off a run and went back and started collecting it over again? I’m betting the overwhelming majority will say yes to one or all of those questions myself included 

Of course the overwhelming majority will say that - you think people that are out of comics troll these boards?  That's like going to burger king and asking the customers, would you rather eat a burger or a plate of sushi?

I've looked-at (and bought) dozens of collections over the years, none of those people that got out of comics got back into them....

(thumbsu Most collectors never sell anything unless circumstances dictate that they must or until they are finished collecting.

Like many people here, I do sell stuff occasionally. However, I've never sold my collection and the only run I've ever sold was over 20 years ago and I've never even considered revisiting it.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

(thumbsu Most collectors never sell anything unless circumstances dictate that they must or until they are finished collecting.

Like many people here, I do sell stuff occasionally. However, I've never sold my collection and the only run I've ever sold was over 20 years ago and I've never even considered revisiting it.

I'm still interested in comics, but my collection is way too big. I'm slowly letting a lot of stuff go, especially when there's a spike in interest. There are some books that I'll probably be hesitant to ever sell due for sentimental reasons, but that's a very small portion of my collection.

6 hours ago, spreads said:
18 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I disagree completely. Almost every collector I know has sold off their collections and started back up years later. Hell I’ve sold my different collections over the years several times. I’ve taken huge breaks in collecting  but always come back. I also collect runs although not as many as I used to. 

How many in here have sold off their collections in the past and come back? How many have taken years long breaks from collecting? How many have sold off a run and went back and started collecting it over again? I’m betting the overwhelming majority will say yes to one or all of those questions myself included 

There are a ton of factors that go into that. 

Age, financial situations, storage and so on. 

Usually when I am looking at personal collection you can tell from the seller and how they talk about the collection.
Ive seen older collectors just move to trades as well. They take up less space. As I get older thats probably the route
I will take eventually.

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Thor God Of Thunder #2 is getting out of hand w prices.. 2nd Print is crazy.. I would like to know what the raw Newsstand sold for ($600 best offer)

It actually sold for $600. Apparently someone didn't feel patient enough to make a Best Offer. 

PS - People are stupid.

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

There are a ton of factors that go into that. 

Age, financial situations, storage and so on. 

Usually when I am looking at personal collection you can tell from the seller and how they talk about the collection.
Ive seen older collectors just move to trades as well. They take up less space. As I get older thats probably the route
I will take eventually.

I'm referring to readers and collectors leaving the hobby, switching to trades or digital is not a part of the 'I'm getting out of comics', crowd.

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

We must be on two different pages. I used the taxex trick and it says $600 plus it doesn't have the strike through it like normal when a best offer is accepted. 

the strike through is misleading... On ebay a sold price can still have a best offer price accepted even if there is no strike though line

7 hours ago, littledoom said:

the strike through is misleading... On ebay a sold price can still have a best offer price accepted even if there is no strike though line

OK. But the taxex thing everyone talks about says $599.99 as well.

To clarify, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm pointing out that one of these methods to find an accepted price is not reliable. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

To clarify, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm pointing out that one of these methods to find an accepted price is not reliable. 

Majority of eBay sales should be taken w grain of salt. When sellers send Special offers to specific buyers Through messages that lower price is not reflected only the list price 

58 minutes ago, littledoom said:
3 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Majority of eBay sales should be taken w grain of salt. When sellers send Special offers to specific buyers Through messages that lower price is not reflected only the list price 

I wouldn't go that far. Now a couple of sales yes, but after you see 5 or more and the price trends shows a pattern thats data.
I am not saying it cant be manipulated, but thankfully the type of books I sell that I have to worry about that much.