• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

Just now, ygogolak said:

Is that like the 10th new Batman character in the past month?

Was kinda poking fun at that very fact....also its Hench Master (I misspelled it), probably just a throw away character but these days who knows.

6 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yeah there is a neat story behind these and the guy running the company.
He has alot of background in comics since being involved in Valiant before he left. 
And was a darling of the speculator market as well for quite a bit.

Edited by fastballspecial

3 minutes ago, Avi said:

Wondering the same thing. Seems like it doesnt take much these days to cause a spike in prices for random book...low print run maybe :screwy:

People are nuts, rarity shouldn't make something a collectible. The art isn't that great imo. I would NEVER pay that kind of money, that value is not sustainable.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

He has alot of background in comics since being involved in Valiant before he left. 

I know all about it. When Dinesh tweeted about it, I tried to get my hands on one.

1 hour ago, maidenmate91 said:

People are nuts, rarity shouldn't make something a collectible. The art isn't that great imo. I would NEVER pay that kind of money, that value is not sustainable.

I assume these comments are about The Hero Trade? I assume the cover (well, the logo, anyway) was intentionally made to look like some rando indy book from the '90s (as the logo is not well designed). This is the first (unofficial) book from Bad Idea, a new company that a lot of the people from the Valiant relaunch are involved in. This particular book is by Matt Kindt and Dave Lapham. So, first book from a new publisher that contains some first appearances. And apparently there are some cameos 1sts for some of the other titles to come snuck in here as well. Considering that a few of the people involved in the company also have tied to movie and television production, I would say there is a fair chance we'll see some of the titles developed into other media.

They have some of the covers for coming titles on their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/badideahello/

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yo wth.. raws book selling for $1,000... when did this book come out? That’s Walking Dead 1 status 

3 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I know they’re cheap now, but in five years they’ll seem like bargains 

Check out the prices on the Spawn #300 ASM 300 homage cover. First prints are up to $30 now.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I assume these comments are about The Hero Trade? I assume the cover (well, the logo, anyway) was intentionally made to look like some rando indy book from the '90s (as the logo is not well designed). This is the first (unofficial) book from Bad Idea, a new company that a lot of the people from the Valiant relaunch are involved in. This particular book is by Matt Kindt and Dave Lapham. So, first book from a new publisher that contains some first appearances. And apparently there are some cameos 1sts for some of the other titles to come snuck in here as well. Considering that a few of the people involved in the company also have tied to movie and television production, I would say there is a fair chance we'll see some of the titles developed into other media.

They have some of the covers for coming titles on their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/badideahello/

I appreciate the info, but the chances of that publisher sticking around in a dying comic industry are slim to none. I wish them all the luck, I wouldn't pay $1000 for a book, that is an extremely volatile price. That said I think the comics coming through indiegogo are more exciting than that. The amount/level of effort and excellent customer service coming from Richard C. Meyers, EVS, and Jon Malin are bar none. ART BELOW: Graveyard shift 3, Jawbreakers: grand bizarre, Cyberfrog: rekt planet, and Kozor: descent into madness. 

y6cvqalq1axumltzkiir.jpg

ovveiqvnhiosaiuyzuv4.jpg

EL0H7sSXsAA62w_.jpg

EWM8kEkXkAANFwr.jpg

EdjqwlvUcAAfj6I.jpg

gtipli8mdpu0g3yuvmv9.jpg

h3x4xoufeexdv9qq8zuz.jpg

Edited by maidenmate91

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:
3 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm not a big fan of 12-page previews (READ: sell it as soon as you can), but Lapham has always been solid in my book - I like his body of work. :bigsmile:

On 10/3/2020 at 5:33 AM, Corona smith said:

If the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that adapted Preacher had stuck more closely to what happened in the books it’d of been a much better show. I still enjoyed it but wish they would’ve stuck with the source material. 

Finally, we agree on something . . . :foryou: I really love the Preacher series - dynamic, unpredictable and exciting. As to the TV show, I couldn't even watch it

8 hours ago, littledoom said:

Yo wth.. raws book selling for $1,000... when did this book come out? That’s Walking Dead 1 status 

About a month ago or so. This was sort of a guerilla launch. A single copy was sent to a number of stores (I've heard about 150) with the request that they sell it, and with information on how to order more if they like it. No info that it was from Bad Idea. Apparently about 50 additional copies were ordered through the ordering info provided, and after the deadline to order the details of the book were revealed on Bad Idea's Twitter. 

8 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I guess the market is such to dictate these rising prices but it does seem rather silly for a new indie book (regardless of who worked on it) to rise in price so fast because of its rarity when there is absolutely no significance so far at this point.  I asked this same question on IG for the folks who were able to get a copy and most had no idea what the book was but just knew it was hot and expensive therefore making other people want the next hot and expensive book without knowing what exactly it is that they have or they are buying.  The typical herd mentality of chase after what everyone else is chasing after without knowing the "why".