• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Keys_Collector said:

I guess the market is such to dictate these rising prices but it does seem rather silly for a new indie book (regardless of who worked on it) to rise in price so fast because of its rarity when there is absolutely no significance so far at this point.  I asked this same question on IG for the folks who were able to get a copy and most had no idea what the book was but just knew it was hot and expensive therefore making other people want the next hot and expensive book without knowing what exactly it is that they have or they are buying.  The typical herd mentality of chase after what everyone else is chasing after without knowing the "why".

I would like a copy, but not at these prices. Since the story is being reprinted in Eniac #3, I'll wait to read it then.

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:
13 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I assume these comments are about The Hero Trade? I assume the cover (well, the logo, anyway) was intentionally made to look like some rando indy book from the '90s (as the logo is not well designed). This is the first (unofficial) book from Bad Idea, a new company that a lot of the people from the Valiant relaunch are involved in. This particular book is by Matt Kindt and Dave Lapham. So, first book from a new publisher that contains some first appearances. And apparently there are some cameos 1sts for some of the other titles to come snuck in here as well. Considering that a few of the people involved in the company also have tied to movie and television production, I would say there is a fair chance we'll see some of the titles developed into other media.

They have some of the covers for coming titles on their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/badideahello/

I guess the market is such to dictate these rising prices but it does seem rather silly for a new indie book (regardless of who worked on it) to rise in price so fast because of its rarity when there is absolutely no significance so far at this point.  I asked this same question on IG for the folks who were able to get a copy and most had no idea what the book was but just knew it was hot and expensive therefore making other people want the next hot and expensive book without knowing what exactly it is that they have or they are buying.  The typical herd mentality of chase after what everyone else is chasing after without knowing the "why".

Its really hard speculation with a name attached to it. I did like how they have approached it.

Then I remember Jim Shooter's Plasm and lose interest fast.

45 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its really hard speculation with a name attached to it. I did like how they have approached it.

Then I remember Jim Shooter's Plasm and lose interest fast.

As far as I can tell, none of Bad Idea's books are meant to be in a shared universe. (I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get from the descriptions of the books we know about so far.) So in that way, I don't think Defiant is going to be a proper analogy. My feeling is that this new line of books is going to be much more similar to current Image comics (again, from a company with connections to television and movie productions)

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

As far as I can tell, none of Bad Idea's books are meant to be in a shared universe. (I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get from the descriptions of the books we know about so far.) So in that way, I don't think Defiant is going to be a proper analogy. My feeling is that this new line of books is going to be much more similar to current Image comics (again, from a company with connections to television and movie productions)

FWIW, if you look at the Bloodshot DVD bonus features, Dinesh gets a lot of interview time and comes across as a player in Hollywood.

he's also a boardie with an amazing OA collection

Edited by Hekla
added thread

18 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

I appreciate the info, but the chances of that publisher sticking around in a dying comic industry are slim to none. I wish them all the luck, I wouldn't pay $1000 for a book, that is an extremely volatile price. That said I think the comics coming through indiegogo are more exciting than that. The amount/level of effort and excellent customer service coming from Richard C. Meyers, EVS, and Jon Malin are bar none. ART BELOW: Graveyard shift 3, Jawbreakers: grand bizarre, Cyberfrog: rekt planet, and Kozor: descent into madness. 

i sold a beat up copy of jawbreakers lost souls for 40$+ just a couple of weeks ago. was really surprised it went for that much. 

1 hour ago, NWOslave said:

i sold a beat up copy of jawbreakers lost souls for 40$+ just a couple of weeks ago. was really surprised it went for that much. 

I missed out on that campaign. I was aware of it, but grand bazaar looks fantastic. Was it signed? I did order rekt Planet, and also Todd MacFarlane's remaster figure kickstarter though. The ebay presales on those are crazy, I just stuck with the classic model.

The spawn remaster figure comes with a red foil stamped variant of #1. Also a remaster of that cover. The modern one comes with the green stamp, and the artist proof comes with a B/W version of the modern variant. 

b389e690751ca41ba66915feee47e575_original.jpg

Spawn-Kickstarter-Cover__scaled_600.jpg

05f99143e425129e6a36aff71e5b7991.jpg

Edited by maidenmate91

18 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

The spawn remaster figure comes with a red foil stamped variant of #1. Also a remaster of that cover. The modern one comes with the green stamp, and the artist proof comes with a B/W version of the modern variant.

Crazy what these are pre-selling for. Perfect example of how people shop, eBay only. The Kickstarter was open order, all you want, for 30 days. The classic figure and comic was $40 + shipping. It's pre-selling for $200+. I expect them to drop some when people get them in hand.

Nearly raised $3.5 million through that campaign.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Crazy what these are pre-selling for. Perfect example of how people shop, eBay only. The Kickstarter was open order, all you want, for 30 days. The classic figure and comic was $40 + shipping. It's pre-selling for $200+. I expect them to drop some when people get them in hand.

Nearly raised $3.5 million through that campaign.

This is kind of how I feel about modern comics - and tell me if I'm wrong - but it seems like you can pre-order stuff no problem for the most part. but then a year later or whatever you're looking at $5 cover issues going for hundreds... I guess maybe it's a little different because you have to have an inkling of what might get hot, but it's confusing to me to see some books skyrocket to like $600 or more when older (and many times, more relatively scarce, especially in high grade) books can be had for less.

1 minute ago, Jesse-Lee said:

This is kind of how I feel about modern comics - and tell me if I'm wrong - but it seems like you can pre-order stuff no problem for the most part. but then a year later or whatever you're looking at $5 cover issues going for hundreds... I guess maybe it's a little different because you have to have an inkling of what might get hot, but it's confusing to me to see some books skyrocket to like $600 or more when older (and many times, more relatively scarce, especially in high grade) books can be had for less.

There are a lot of store variants that don't end up selling for more than the initial buy-in. I'm seeing a lot of new blood get caught up in these and the later Marvel printings that are in abundance now. Store variants can be $40-$100 which is way too high for me personally.

Just now, ygogolak said:

There are a lot of store variants that don't end up selling for more than the initial buy-in. I'm seeing a lot of new blood get caught up in these and the later Marvel printings that are in abundance now. Store variants can be $40-$100 which is way too high for me personally.

Here's a recent personal example though - I just bought a three-cover package of Wolverine 6 (so the A,B and C covers issues of the same comic) for $8 + shipping, so like $12 total, three weeks ago on eBay. I just saw that same package sell for $28.50 today... But on the flip side, I have bought some higher-priced variants recently, but just because I absolutely loved the cover. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it.

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
11 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I think you still have to guess right, based on your knowledge, experience, tastes, and some luck.    And you have to know when to sell

9 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Here's a recent personal example though - I just bought a three-cover package of Wolverine 6 (so the A,B and C covers issues of the same comic) for $8 + shipping, so like $12 total, three weeks ago on eBay. I just saw that same package sell for $28.50 today... But on the flip side, I have bought some higher-priced variants recently, but just because I absolutely loved the cover. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it.

Again, surprising b/c Marvel hyped the heck out of that book. Biggest hype for a character since Red Goblin. And again they didn't make it clear cut. Seems like X-Force #13 is 1st full to me.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Again, surprising b/c Marvel hyped the heck out of that book. Biggest hype for a character since Red Goblin. And again they didn't make it clear cut. Seems like X-Force #13 is 1st full to me.

Yeah, that surprised me too because it really was hyped, but I just loved the Ross cover a lot. I think it seems pretty clear cut though, he's got about 4-pages of book time and he's named in it too...

5 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Yeah, that surprised me too because it really was hyped, but I just loved the Ross cover a lot. I think it seems pretty clear cut though, he's got about 4-pages of book time and he's named in it too...

Yea, just looked at it again. You're right.