• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2020 at 8:29 AM, mr_highgrade said:

I think the closest thing to a newsstand variant would be the very few issues that had a different price on the cover than the direct editions.

Notice the "VARIANT EDITION" label on the Captain America 25. The two Supergirl #1's are the same issue, different covers, both newsstands. The Turner cover is the variant, the Churchill cover is the "normal" edition. I have other examples but not many. One of the people on this board posted a Hulk variant newsstand if I recall. I've been trying to find one for myself every since.

variant news.jpg

40 minutes ago, paqart said:

Notice the "VARIANT EDITION" label on the Captain America 25. The two Supergirl #1's are the same issue, different covers, both newsstands. The Turner cover is the variant, the Churchill cover is the "normal" edition. I have other examples but not many. One of the people on this board posted a Hulk variant newsstand if I recall. I've been trying to find one for myself every since.

variant news.jpg

I do know that there a few instances where these kind of variant newsstands exist, but I read the spirit of the referenced comment to mean newsstand ratio variants, e.g. 1:10, 1:25, etc., and not what are basically referred to as A and B covers.

48 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I do know that there a few instances where these kind of variant newsstands exist, but I read the spirit of the referenced comment to mean newsstand ratio variants, e.g. 1:10, 1:25, etc., and not what are basically referred to as A and B covers.

I understand what you mean but don't think that is what Mr_Highgrade was getting at. Maybe he'll respond? I have that impression because he mentioned price variants, assuming he means the 36 or so from the end of 1999-start of 2000. Those are price variants, not cover variants like these. 

6 hours ago, paqart said:

variant news.jpg

I wasn't aware of those. Now I get what you mean. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, mr_highgrade said:
7 hours ago, paqart said:

variant news.jpg

I wasn't aware of those. Now I get what you mean. (thumbsu

All nice covers too! :)

On 11/18/2020 at 6:04 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 11/17/2020 at 11:32 PM, littledoom said:

Marvel Super-Heroes 11 1992 is really becoming a big money book.. I remember when it was $10-15

People are jumping on the Arlo Samuelson bandwagon.

I have honestly never seen a copy of that book . . . hm

9 hours ago, paqart said:

variant news.jpg

I had come across a Supergirl #5 regular and variant newstand a couple of months ago, posted an image to the modern newstand thread, re-posting the image here.  That's three close together issues for Supergirl now, very strange.

S-girl5.png

Back when Mile High regularly had 1990's Marvel Super-Heroes issues for a buck or two, I'd sometimes add a couple to an order, just because they were a lot of comic pages for the money, and I did like the inventory stories, in these and in the bi-weekly Marvel Comics Presents. I think I bought 1-4 or so of MSH Volume 2 off the stands when new, but I quit after that. Anyway, M.H. had them bargain priced for a good while. I couldn't usually remember which ones I still needed, so I doubled up on some of them. I think I ended up with a full set. I was really  hoping I had two copies of Issue 11, but no luck. I did get two of 10, which had a Ms. Marvel/Sabretooth cover and finally published their battle that would've been in Ms. Marvel Vol. 1 #24.

Let's see what I ended up with the issue 11, and show off the somewhat risque cover. This is a new scan. I just got into the long white box with these in them thanks to this thread, and for the first time since a few years ago to get the Squirrel Girl intro issue (#8) to use in a trade

msh12.jpg

Edited by jdandns

I am sorting boxes tonight and just found this set that has not sold at $40 in my sets box from when it was priced 2-3 years ago, thankfully. The are all tucked away in mylites now. I just have to see if I still have a few other CDN #1s that I thought I still have tucked away someplace.

TMNT Adventures 1 - 3.jpg

Edited by kimik

Off topic a bit but it’s ebay related. Anyone switch over to Managed Payments with eBay? How’s it going? Any thing that’s great or horrible?

I’m going to tell you to avoid it for as long as humanly possible. The days of having immediate access to the funds from a sale are over. I’m waiting on average a week for funds to clear. 

I also don’t like that it can’t sit in my PayPal until I find another book to buy. I’m going to be less likely to spend that on eBay with it bypassing PayPal. 

You also can’t contact eBay though normal contact procedures. The one and only option is a callback and callbacks were averaging 220 minutes the other day. 

My items are actually delivered long before I see any money. It’s just horrible going from immediate access to my money to waiting a week. All so they could cut out PayPal and make  some extra money. 

Edited by Corona smith