• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Define a "very long time". I don't remember that being the case at all. That book was hyped before it ever came out and I remember it being super hot upon release. 

It was a $20-40 book for a long time that I remember. Then the silver reprint started up and then the price on ASM 361 climbed as well.

I remember several times talking up ASM 359 and 360 because they were still $1 or 2.

Edited by fastballspecial

2 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Most comic shop sold out or were only allowing one book per customer, so I waited 3 weeks when they were available in the newsstands. I went to all the newsstands that I could find in Queens, NY and bought 127 copies. Through out the years I graded around 50 copies or so. I still have around 70 copies.

Wow, pretty sweet my friend

11 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Define a "very long time". I don't remember that being the case at all. That book was hyped before it ever came out and I remember it being super hot upon release. 

I wish I had an old overstreet at my fingertips. I used to buy these for nostalgic reasons from probably 2001-2008. Carnage was certainly big when he first came out. If there was hype before he came out, other than the cameos, I missed that. But 361 1st print was in steady demand for several years after coming out. After that, however, with the comics crash and all, a lot of the demand for books like that just wasn't there anymore. Around the same time 361 was a dollar book, I finally splurged on Amazing Spider-Man 129 and 300 for $25 and $20, respectively. Values were different then, and the meteoric rise of many of these books was meteoric from somewhere. 

14 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Agreed, and that is where I do my buying. I only managed to fish one copy out of a dollar box over the years. 362 on the other hand...

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I wish I had an old overstreet at my fingertips. I used to buy these for nostalgic reasons from probably 2001-2008. Carnage was certainly big when he first came out. If there was hype before he came out, other than the cameos, I missed that. But 361 1st print was in steady demand for several years after coming out. After that, however, with the comics crash and all, a lot of the demand for books like that just wasn't there anymore. Around the same time 361 was a dollar book, I finally splurged on Amazing Spider-Man 129 and 300 for $25 and $20, respectively. Values were different then, and the meteoric rise of many of these books was meteoric from somewhere. 

If you had an old overstreet at your fingertips I suspect you would see some inflated price. There was a brief period in like 2000 at the start of ebay where 129 could be had at $25, but my understanding is that many were inked copies. (I, stupidly, was only buying GA and SA right then..dumb!) You could probably get a VF ASM 300 for that price. Yes, I got an ASM 300 for $3.50 on ebay, but that was one of these guys who did a "U pick" with like 50 spidey books and I picked the 300. I couldn't believe it actually arrived! I remember paying $65 for a slabbed 9.4 around 2002/3. 361 was never really a "dollar" box book. Obviously mistakes happen. I bought a stack of Raphael 1s for 66 cents each... But yeah, I think you probably could have gotten it in $2 and $3 boxes at shows. Same thing with NM 98, people say it was a dollar box book, but I never saw it in one and I was regularly buying Liefield new mutants when I saw them in dollar boxes (and did pick up some NM 87s...although I suspect they were in $2 boxes) because I thought they had upside.

There were always sellers that had it higher, as it was a wall book when it came out, but just like some dollar boxes are not that bad, I found multiple in there that hadn't been picked up by the other people looking. I'm sure I put more than my share of copies back too...after all, how many do you really need? Or so I thought back then...lol

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

What area are you from that ASM 361 was a $1 and ASM 129 was $25, I was collecting and attending plenty of cons in that 2001-2008 range I remember the 361 dropping to 10$ - 15$ on like 2/20 deals but never even to $5 regularly. And ASM 129 was never under $75-$100 during that era in my memory. Again that is in the NJ,NY,Philly, Baltimore con area so it could be regional. 

One caveat, you can hit on anything in a random dollar box, I have had some great scores over the years from BA 12 to ASM 252 to FF 112 but I would never say those were 1$ or 2$ books. 

BA 12 was...and then it was around $30 for a long time...

It went largely unrecognized for a long time and then for a period, just being the first Harley Quinn was meh...obviously that time is long gone now. 

Those prices were realized at comic conventions. I got an Amazing Spider-Man 129 for $90 in VG back in 2015/2016. The increase in recent years has been huge.

The Northeast, New England

Edited by PeterPark

On 11/22/2020 at 1:43 AM, kenaran said:

I had come across a Supergirl #5 regular and variant newstand a couple of months ago, posted an image to the modern newstand thread, re-posting the image here.  That's three close together issues for Supergirl now, very strange.

S-girl5.png

I have that one too but forgot about it. Wonder how many more there are? Did DC do this with other titles?

Edited by paqart

5 hours ago, PeterPark said:

It went largely unrecognized for a long time and then for a period, just being the first Harley Quinn was meh...obviously that time is long gone now. 

Those prices were realized at comic conventions. I got an Amazing Spider-Man 129 for $90 in VG back in 2015/2016. The increase in recent years has been huge.

129 for $90 in vg wasn't even that cheap 5 years ago. I got a 5.0 copy for $50 at a local shop and a mvs less 4.5 for $20

7 hours ago, PeterPark said:

$20 for a VG 129 in 2012. Also in New England. :acclaim:

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

$20 for a VG 129 in 2012. Also in New England. :acclaim:

129 was a book that dealers who went by guide were screwd on. The 5.0 I bought was just a bit below guide. I sold it here for 2.5x that price the same day.

14 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Yep, it was dirt cheap for an eternity. 

I bought many copies for $3.  Dumped a few at $50 and $100.  DOH!

Patrick

Even when it was cheap, it wasn't easy to find, at least for me. I collected all of the Bat books in the 90's and 00's, and for whatever reason, could never find a BA 12. I eventually found one at a local shop and was PO'd that I had to pay $6 for it! The nerve! $6 when all of the other books in that run were $1 at best! oh well, I had to have it to complete the set. I ended up selling it when I sold the entire run a few years later, during what I call The Dark Times.

Years later, when I was back to collecting, and once the book really started heating up, I decided I needed to secure a 9.8 before the prices REALLY went crazy. Hemmed and hawed over it, but eventually gave in and paid $350 for a 9.8. Thought I'd lost my mind, but then felt really good a year or so later when I sold it for $1100. Looking at the prices NOW, I can see that I've been an insufficiently_thoughtful_person several times over. Oh well, it happens quite a bit, and I was happy with the money at the time.

some folks (me) may not have realized it was the first appearance. i was vaguely aware this was a character with potential and  i bought harley quinn stuff out of the cheap-o boxes when I saw them and would have bought this (but not for a whopping $3!!) if i ever saw it. I got other BA books out of the cheap, even the prestige Harley Quinn books in $1 boxes, and pretty much all of her first series out of a 5 for $1 box!! (this shop made its 50 cent books 5 for $1 once a week, I went nuts, but not nearly nuts enough in hindsight). when my friend's comic nerd wife wanted to name their daughter Harley Quinn in 2000 (that got shut down for some reason...and he owned a comic shop!) that should have set my alarm bells off to buy as much of this stuff as humanly possible, even if I had to shell out $3 for some of it.

21 minutes ago, the blob said:

some folks (me) may not have realized it was the first appearance. i was vaguely aware this was a character with potential and  i bought harley quinn stuff out of the cheap-o boxes when I saw them and would have bought this (but not for a whopping $3!!) if i ever saw it. I got other BA books out of the cheap, even the prestige Harley Quinn books in $1 boxes, and pretty much all of her first series out of a 5 for $1 box!! (this shop made its 50 cent books 5 for $1 once a week, I went nuts, but not nearly nuts enough in hindsight). when my friend's comic nerd wife wanted to name their daughter Harley Quinn in 2000 (that got shut down for some reason...and he owned a comic shop!) that should have set my alarm bells off to buy as much of this stuff as humanly possible, even if I had to shell out $3 for some of it.

At the time I was looking, I was really more of a comprehensive Batman collector than a straight comic collector, and in particular, Batman the Animated Series. I had all of the Kenner toys, I had a bunch of prints and animation cels and plates and all of that stuff from the WB store, etc. I felt (and still feel) that Batman the Animated Series was the single best distillation of the character and his world, so I had to have everything attached to it. Back then I wasn't buying multiples of anything, or speculating at all, I just wanted one for my collection. I probably wouldn't have bought more than one even if I'd been looking at a box full of them. I'm sure I walked past many, many deals back then, just because I wasn't wired to hunt for books unless I "needed" one for the collection. Of course, that all changed!  And you know, I was probably happier back then ha