• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kimik said:

The issue is that they did not post the 1:25 until after FOC. Had collectors and stores known it was such a horrid 1:25 variant they would not have chased it, which would have significantly hit sales on it. I just feel bad for store owners that will have a dead 1:25 variant that collectors will not buy instead of something that can help them generate revenues. The ones I know that saw the image after FOC last night were pissed it was a hack job of a cover. Right now they need every cent they can get to stay afloat.

The artist in question should be forced to sign and sketch on every single one of those 1:25s before they get shipped. It is the only way to solve this.

9 minutes ago, PeterPark said:
11 minutes ago, 500Club said:

ASM 4, first Silk, 1:10 cover, anyone? (thumbsu

That was not a case of overordering.

How 'overordered' do you think HR 1 will be?  And, that's a supply consideration only.  What will matter is where the supply/demand equation settles out.

9 minutes ago, 500Club said:

How 'overordered' do you think HR 1 will be?  And, that's a supply consideration only.  What will matter is where the supply/demand equation settles out.

That's a good question. I haven't talked to any shops about how they have adjusted their ordering over the past few months. I also expected there to be a number of store variants. But I haven't heard of any yet. If there are, they are getting 300 of the 1:10 most likely if they want them.

If they actually announce a Disney+ High Republic cartoon or live action show on Thursday then I guess it does not matter what is on the 1:25, it will likely sell. Not for as much as a very good or better variant, but stores should be able to generate a premium for it.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

There is a rumour that Disney is working on an animated series based on the Star Wars High Republic series that came out in the last few months.

Its a two day old "Hollywood Insider scoop" from Charles Murphy.

You mean the real source: https://www.cinelinx.com/movie-news/tv/new-star-wars-animated-series-will-go-to-the-past-exclusive/

33 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

That's a good question. I haven't talked to any shops about how they have adjusted their ordering over the past few months. I also expected there to be a number of store variants. But I haven't heard of any yet. If there are, they are getting 300 of the 1:10 most likely if they want them.

There are no store variants for this according to LCSs I know that inquired. Marvel did not even respond to their multiple requests for one. FWIW, I was willing to back a store exclusive for my file LCS as there was a solid profit in it for me.

I really think the Disney/Marvel machine was focused on Eternals due to the film. That is why there are so many covers for it. They were hoping for a big sales number tied in with the movie - that will not happen.

Edited by kimik

1 minute ago, kimik said:

There are no store variants for this according to LCSs I know that inquired. Marvel did not even respond to their multiple requests for one.

I really think the Disney/Marvel machine was focused on Eternals due to the film. That is why there are so many covers for it. They were hoping for a big sales number tied in with the movie - that will not happen.

Wow, HR will definitely be more sought after than another Eternals series.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Wow, HR will definitely be more sought after than another Eternals series.

The Eternals comic and movie were likely supposed to launch together in a multi-media promotional approach. COVID scuttled that, along with a number of different comic + movie promo tie-ins (e.g. WW 84 variants for DC). Marvel is taking a risk releasing the Eternals book now without a close movie release to drive sales for it. I guess if you have the content ready to roll and pre-orders indicate that it will cover costs then you can go, but it will not hit the sales levels it might have otherwise with the movie hype.

31 minutes ago, kimik said:

If they actually announce a Disney+ High Republic cartoon or live action show on Thursday then I guess it does not matter what is on the 1:25, it will likely sell. Not for as much as a very good or better variant, but stores should be able to generate a premium for it.

One thing that will really matter about High Republic is the extent to which Dave Filoni is involved in the show. The more involved he is, the better the product and probably the longer the legs the comics will have on the secondary market. 

5 hours ago, kimik said:

Here is what Comic Hub had up last night. A dealer friend that uses their POS system forwarded it to me after FOC. I guess it was posted there. 

7F18B3A8-3810-40A6-B46B-8FC6F707DEBD.thumb.jpeg.41320f0410eb8615fbfc570817363c1d.jpeg

If this is the real deal, then the 1:10 variant will be much more valuable. This one looks like something a Grade 2 or 3 student would draw. It is fricking horrible.

Looking at this image again, I don't think it's too bad, or as bad as some (ahem) are saying. I have definitely seen worse than this on variants, and that's fine, as it's art and it's subjective.

A more objective note is that this is the first issue introducing an entirely new (? my SW knowledge lacks here) universe of characters and the cover is focused on just one. The same can be said of the 1:10 variant. I think a single character spotlight variant would have been fine for cover A/B/C/D "you choose" but a ratio deserves more (esp if the highlighted character doesn't take off).

4 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Also, I’d follow the comics closely as they may canonize some of the DH characters like Mando has done. 

This is a little confusing because they are from the emphatically out of continuity series of novels published throughout the 90's...the movies went astray and these characters were cast aside. Paging Dash Rendar and Prince Xizor....

27 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

This is a little confusing because they are from the emphatically out of continuity series of novels published throughout the 90's...the movies went astray and these characters were cast aside. Paging Dash Rendar and Prince Xizor....

Paging Grand Admiral Thrawn and Jaster Mereel. Any DH characters can be brought into continuity with as little as a mention or as much as a recurring role in an animated series, comic or show, which has already been done with the two listed above. Granted, the backstories may change a little, but it has already been done. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

10 hours ago, kimik said:

Here is what Comic Hub had up last night. A dealer friend that uses their POS system forwarded it to me after FOC. I guess it was posted there. 

7F18B3A8-3810-40A6-B46B-8FC6F707DEBD.thumb.jpeg.41320f0410eb8615fbfc570817363c1d.jpeg

If this is the real deal, then the 1:10 variant will be much more valuable. This one looks like something a Grade 2 or 3 student would draw. It is fricking horrible.

C'mon Disney/Marvel !?! There's got to be tons of other concept artists to tap. Throw some old school Doug Chiang stuff from the scrap pile; those would be better. If this is some sort of preliminary pre-viz stuff, I still don't get the composition. I mean, that huge shadow mass in the foreground makes her look like a one-legged Jedi.

2020 Vader series continues to sell well. 

Most are a nice profit above cover. 

My store can't seem to hold them much beyond day of release. 

InHyuk is a part of that.  But it's also the great job of mixing in fun aspects of the ehhh Prequel story. 

Patrick

14 hours ago, kimik said:

True, but they will still sell like crazy since it is the first cover appearance of the Nihil Raiders.

Funny thing is, I passed on these because I feel the exact opposite. They do not appear to be any specific Nihil raiders, just generic ones. (I may be wrong.) It's just basically concept art for them. I went ahead and purchased a ton of the regular covers because I think those will be the safer and quicker flips.