• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, littledoom said:

both.. for some reason multiple sellers are placing them in lots

There are a crazy number of secret cover variants for it. That and a McFarlane Spawn cover = win.

On another note, one store I talked to this morning is pre-sold out of all of their DM 7s and FS 1s for this week. The owner was worried he ordered too high a couple of weeks ago, but the orders came pouring in the past week. He ordered big and was cleaned out of his last copies yesterday. I am a bit surprised since the cover price is so high on stuff like FS Batman, but it looks like they will sell well. 

This is setting up to be a fantastic spec play week with multiple wins.

It sounds like SW HR topped 100k copies across all covers, which likely means 30K-40K each of A, B, and E in some split. That is a tight print run per cover. I was expecting 50K+ of each. 

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/100000-orders-marvel-star-wars-high-republic-comic/

The sad part is that if Marvel is happy with only selling 100,000 copies of a new SW book that ushers in a new era and features a number of new characters, then they may be setting their expectations a tad low. I was expecting 200K-250K print run initially, then revised it down to 150K - 200K. It will not even hit that. 

Edited by kimik

16 minutes ago, kimik said:

It sounds like SW HR topped 100k copies across all covers, which likely means 30K-40K each of A, B, and C in some split. That is a tight print run per cover. I was expecting 50K+ of each. 

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/100000-orders-marvel-star-wars-high-republic-comic/

The sad part is that if Marvel is happy with only selling 100,000 copies of a new SW book that ushers in a new era and features a number of new characters, then they may be setting their expectations a tad low. I was expecting 200K-250K print run initially, then revised it down to 150K - 200K. It will not even hit that. 

Any thoughts on Cover D and E for HR #1?

Edited by awakeintheashes
punctuation

25 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Any thoughts on Cover D and E for HR #1?

Sorry, I guess the Hans cover is considered E? That would be 30k - 40 k

The 1:25 (Cover C) variant would be in the 4,000 - 5,000 range

And the 1:10 (Cover D) variant would be 10,000 - 12,500 range

Edited by kimik

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

Sorry, I guess the Hans cover is considered E? That would be 30k - 40 k

The 1:25 (Cover C) variant would be in the 4,400 - 5,000 range

And the 1:10 (Cover D) variant would be 10,000 - 12,500 range

Thanks. Yeah, was referring to the two variants. Crazy these weren't higher. Guess Mando mania didn't hit a fever pitch until after FOC?

No matter how it breaks down, that is a very small amount per cover considering this launches a new era for Star Wars that they have already announced Three Phases of development on the publishing side, has a number of first appearances, and is a new Star Wars 1 at a time when the franchise is riding high in the comic spec community.

Edited by kimik

4 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Thanks. Yeah, was referring to the two variants. Crazy these weren't higher. Guess Mando mania didn't hit a fever pitch until after FOC?

Mando mania was already there, but Marve/Disney did nothing to promote it. My guess is the Live Stream was announced since the orders were below 100k. Even then, if you count store variants and the ratio variants, did they actually crack 100k on the three regular to order covers?

I am not complaining. It is going to be a great short, medium and long term spec play.

Edited by kimik

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

Mando mania was already there, but Marve/Disney did nothing to promote it. My guess is the Live Stream was announced since the orders were below 100k. Even then, if you count store variants and the ration variants, did they actually crack 100k on the three regular to order covers?

I am not complaining. It is going to be a great short, medium and long term spec play.

True. I was expecting 500K when announced and 300K as it got closer to release. Guess I overestimated and under-ordered lol 

I do know that the number of cases of cover A that was sent out to stores by Diamond was 198. At 180 books per case, that means 36,540 copies of cover A distributed. Two stores I know have confirmed it.

Edited by kimik

I have seen some of the auctions on the Light of the Jedi ending at above cover price as well, so there may be some heat with the novels.

I think this likely guarantees that SW HR Advs 1 from IDW has a higher print run than the Marvel HR 1. I think that is great for a small publisher to benefit as well - it will be a big boost to start the year for IDW and another windfall following shortly after the Last Ronin 1.

14 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

True. I was expecting 500K when announced and 300K as it got closer to release. Guess I overestimated and under-ordered lol 

Definitely. I thought 200k-250k due to Covid and current state of the industry, and then just before FOC 150-200k. This low of a number is totally unexpected. My guess is that Marvel printed 40k copies of each cover - 33k to 36540 were distributed of each and then 10% overprint for damage returns since their printer's production quality has been spotty over the past year. 

Most stores missed on this one, but I guess you really can't blame them for being hesitant since print runs on the other SW books are relatively low AND Marvel/Disney did nothing to promote this until after FOC. Makes me wonder if each of the five main writers had a case or two of each cover written into their contracts......... 

17 minutes ago, kimik said:

I do know that the number of cases of cover A that was sent out to stores by Diamond was 198. At 180 books per case, that means 36,540 copies of cover A distributed. Two stores I know have confirmed it.

That is nothing then, right? Like maybe 100k copies?

2 minutes ago, pkveronese said:

That is nothing then, right? Like maybe 100k copies?

That is what Bleeding Cool is reporting, and Marvel is reportedly happy with that low of a number...........

Excited for HR #1! By far my biggest spec to date (nothing in comparison to others here!), managed to order 17 x A’s and 2 x 1:10’s for cover price or a fraction more a couple of weeks ago on pre-order. 

2 hours ago, littledoom said:
2 hours ago, kimik said:

Regular cover or 1:100?

both.. for some reason multiple sellers are placing them in lots

There are 7 variants not including the 1:100 and a 1 per store foil of the Spawn cover.

This is why.

No description available.

Ellie is holding a different comic in each one and they have varying ratios from 1:4, 1:8, and 1:25.

There is 5 covers I want of this now.  The standard Spawn cover, the Walking Dead cover, the Spawn comic cover, the Crossover comic cover and the foil.

We shall see what I can find at the LCS tomorrow..... :foryou:

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

There are 7 variants not including the 1:100 and a 1 per store foil of the Spawn cover.

This is why.

No description available.

Ellie is holding a different comic in each one and they have varying ratios from 1:4, 1:8, and 1:25.

There is 5 covers I want of this now.  The standard Spawn cover, the Walking Dead cover, the Spawn comic cover, the Crossover comic cover and the foil.

We shall see what I can find at the LCS tomorrow..... :foryou:

oh.. i can barley notice the differnce