• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I was the first inside my LCS today. All of the High Republic copies were marked up, even the regular cover. Not a good practice IMO. 

So it’s okay for all of us to profit but not local shops? I get it, I really do. It’s crappy that a shop would raise the prices on new releases but most are barely scraping by. They see books they have at cover price or less selling for 10 times that they shouldn’t get in on the action?! I’m conflicted on the practice. I hate it and love it at the same time. I can’t be the only one who feels this way? 

6 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Many years ago I patronized a LCS that commenced raising prices on new releases. After I became aware of the practice since the store did so for an issue of a title I always purchased, I never visited that store again.

And you have every right to vote with your wallet.

So - what if the store put a copy in each pull list/subscriber folder at cover price, and then marked up the rest even on day of release?

I understand the frustration as well, from the consumer side.
If I ran a store, and I kept up on the trending/pricing, I'm not sure exactly what I'd do. EXCEPT, I would make darn sure I took care of my regular customers.

1 minute ago, HighVoltage said:

And you have every right to vote with your wallet.

So - what if the store put a copy in each pull list/subscriber folder at cover price, and then marked up the rest even on day of release?

I understand the frustration as well, from the consumer side.
If I ran a store, and I kept up on the trending/pricing, I'm not sure exactly what I'd do. EXCEPT, I would make darn sure I took care of my regular customers.

I believe the store did have a pull list, this was in the early 2000s. However, I only had a pull list in one store for perhaps six months as virtually every comic book was damaged as, generally, stores don't have the time to pull "9.8" copies for subscribers. Thus, I always visited the store in question on Wednesday as the new comics were placed for sale and selected my own copies. I patronized that store for about a decade. When I asked why I was being charged triple cover price for that issue they basically said "That is what we are charging."

3 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I believe the store did have a pull list, this was in the early 2000s. However, I only had a pull list in one store for perhaps six months as virtually every comic book was damaged as, generally, stores don't have the time to pull "9.8" copies for subscribers. Thus, I always visited the store in question on Wednesday as the new comics were placed for sale and selected my own copies. I patronized that store for about a decade. When I asked why I was being charged triple cover price for that issue they basically said "That is what we are charging."

Again - I get it.
And having a 'dinged' book in a pull folder doesn't feel great when you are anticipating 9.4 or better, especially on a new item.

I'm not a big fan of 'no-pricing' on a book.

I don't like the surprise price at the cash register.

I've had it frustrate me (and I've either made the purchase or said no thanks on a book),
but I've had it work to my advantage as well, when a shop owner pulls out Overstreet to price something that has heated up beyond the OVST publication date.

10 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I hate stores like that

39 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

So it’s okay for all of us to profit but not local shops? I get it, I really do. It’s crappy that a shop would raise the prices on new releases but most are barely scraping by. They see books they have at cover price or less selling for 10 times that they shouldn’t get in on the action?! I’m conflicted on the practice. I hate it and love it at the same time. I can’t be the only one who feels this way? 

I asked three weeks ago to add HR to my pull list. The manager said he ordered twice as many so it shouldn’t be a problem for me to find a copy. 

A few things:

1. He did not add it to my pull so I had to get one off the shelves. 

2. He never told me it would be above cover price. 

3. Had I not been there in the first 30 mins of opening I wouldn’t have found a copy. 

I’m fine with ratio variants priced more, but everything else should be cover and then limit to one person. 

And the stores, if run correctly, make enough profit off of charging $9 for a cruddy Superman reboot that they shouldn’t pick and choose to raise prices on “good” comics. 

22 hours ago, kimik said:

That is what Bleeding Cool is reporting, and Marvel is reportedly happy with that low of a number...........

But that's a big number nowadays. And then they'll do a second print with 8 variants of 50K each. if they're smart, add 2 pages of additional stuff, so it's not a pure reprint. And then do a 2d print of the second print, 10 variant covers, 25K each..

Edited by the blob

46 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I asked three weeks ago to add HR to my pull list. The manager said he ordered twice as many so it shouldn’t be a problem for me to find a copy. 

A few things:

1. He did not add it to my pull so I had to get one off the shelves. 

2. He never told me it would be above cover price. 

3. Had I not been there in the first 30 mins of opening I wouldn’t have found a copy. 

I’m fine with ratio variants priced more, but everything else should be cover and then limit to one person. 

And the stores, if run correctly, make enough profit off of charging $9 for a cruddy Superman reboot that they shouldn’t pick and choose to raise prices on “good” comics. 

That is messed up. 

I just started a pull at a LCS near me about 3-4 weeks ago and both covers I requested were there. Both at cover price. No copies were on the shelves, though. 

This was a test run before I add more titles to my pull, and they passed with flying colors. 

41 minutes ago, Crops068 said:
3 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Has anyone found the One per store Crossover #3 foil variant?

Not seeing any on my journeys

None of the shops in my area received them it seems.  I checked around as I was looking for one for myself.

Just talked to my file LCS on this, and one of the qualifiers was ordering more copies of #3 than a store did for #1. Now, since Cates pimped the hell out of #1, most stores chased the 1:200. For this one, they did not top the #1 order so they did not qualify. I suspect very few stores did.

11 minutes ago, kimik said:

Just talked to my file LCS on this, and one of the qualifiers was ordering more copies of #3 than a store did for #1. Now, since Cates pimped the hell out of #1, most stores chased the 1:200. For this one, they did not top the #1 order so they did not qualify. I suspect very few stores did.

Well that would have been good to know.  Man that is :(

3 hours ago, kimik said:

That 200K includes 2nd prints........ 

I think someone at Marvel may have gotten in sh it over the initial report of 100k for the first print run and they are trying to make it look better now. Maybe someone in accounting said "we sold 945,000+ copies of SW 1 in 2015, and you are excited about 100K now?"  lol 

And, it sounds like some stores are cancelling pre-orders now. That 200K will include a lot of orders that are not going to be filled. :eek:

Where do you see that number includes second prints?
It's gone to third print already btw.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Where do you see that number includes second prints?
It's gone to third print already btw.

The first paragraph, which they changed from when it was originally posted earlier in the day. When it first came out they only mentioned the first print when they said they sold 200,000 copies to stores. Next they added the bit about the 2nd print already selling through, which is included in the total (that FOC was a week after the 1st print FOC). The only question is whether they have included the 3rd printing as well.

There were only 198 cases of A shipped by Diamond to stores. I will post a picture of the labels outlining that. I figure the first print run with the store variants and ratio variants is in the 100,000 - 120,000 copy range, maybe a bit higher with damage replacements factored in. The second print FOC was a week later, and after the Disney Investor presentation, which talked about the Acolytes show and High Republic. That is when they hype started to roll, but it was too late for FOC lol . My guess is the 2nd print will be in the 80,000 - 100,000 range due to the high demand for it by stores that were asleep at the wheel with the first order FOC. The 3rd print will likely be in the same range, maybe higher, when all is said and done since we have high demand for HR 1 now.

The number I am most curious to see now is the orders on HR 2. One cover (so far) and they announced more first appearances during the livestream event on Monday. It could end up with a higher print run than the SW HR 1 1st print as a result.

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, the blob said:

But that's a big number nowadays. And then they'll do a second print with 8 variants of 50K each. if they're smart, add 2 pages of additional stuff, so it's not a pure reprint. And then do a 2d print of the second print, 10 variant covers, 25K each..

100,000 is not a big number for a book with 3 covers, especially a SW #1 that introduces a new era and new characters and has been telegraphed as a major focus for future development for at least a year. FWIW, each issue of Three Jokers topped 200K during the summer, and a number of other Marvel and DC new #1 books that are a rehash of characters do more than that regularly. 

What hurt this book from a pre-order perspective was the fact that Marvel/Disney did not hype it until after the 1st Print FOC. Speaking as someone who speculated heavily on it, I was giddy that FOC was before the Marvel Investor presentation as it was telegraphed/rumored that there would be an initial HR related announcement (Acolytes D+ show). If you watched the livestream on Monday where they outlined a multi-year, three phase development plan, then you can see that Disney/LucasFilm is putting significant resources into developing this as a non-Skywalker SW property. IF they had done that livestream before the FOC for both the comic and all of the novels, I bet that they would have hit ore exceeded the 200,000 - 250,000 print run for the HR #1 released today.

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

100,000 is not a big number for a book with 3 covers, especially a SW #1 that introduces a new era and new characters and has been telegraphed as a major focus for future development for at least a year. FWIW, each issue of Three Jokers topped 200K during the summer, and a number of other Marvel and DC new #1 books that are a rehash of characters do more than that regularly. 

What hurt this book from a pre-order perspective was the fact that Marvel/Disney did not hype it until after the 1st Print FOC. Speaking as someone who speculated heavily on it, I was giddy that FOC was before the Marvel Investor presentation as it was telegraphed/rumored that there would be an initial HR related announcement (Acolytes D+ show). If you watched the livestream on Monday where they outlined a multi-year, three phase development plan, then you can see that Disney/LucasFilm is putting significant resources into developing this as a non-Skywalker SW property. IF they had done that livestream before the FOC for both the comic and all of the novels, I bet that they would have hit ore exceeded the 200,000 - 250,000 print run for the HR #1 released today.

100k is a big order number. Quit trying to make the book seem rare or low print. It's not. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

30,000 is a big number IMO

I remember when Saga came out and its 30K+ sales number was huge at the time.

That turd Bedlam sold 18K (i think), and it was considered a large number. About 17,000 of those can be found on eBay for a dollar, probably.