• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, kimik said:

No, if it had been 150K it would still sell at a premium due to it being SW and introducing new characters. That being said, this is a long play book that will pop more once Acolytes launches and other new D+ shows are produced. If I can still get $10 for raw 2015 SW 1s at shows, then this book will sell for much higher once conventions start here in the fall (hopefully).

That being said, it looks like first print orders that topped 100K for all three regular order covers is right for High Republic #1 first printing, and likely a bit high if stores ordered more of cover A. Here is the label on one of my cases for HR #1 cover A from the printer (Fry Communications) to Diamond, which puts the shipped to distributor Cover A print run at 198 cases x 180 copies per case = 36,540. 

1790502903_HighRepublic1boxlabel.thumb.jpg.3cc2fb52259aafd996f7380a19c04012.jpg

For comparisons sake, here is the distributed print run on one of the Crossover #3 Intermix McFarlane secret variant covers. I have to believe it is for the 1:4s as that would put it at just over 100,000 print run. If it is for a higher number ratio, then that is an insane print run.

67468213_Crossover3boxlabel.thumb.jpg.5e9a31e27a511fd3b68eb9b90cefd356.jpg

Here is a blast from the past label for one of three cases of TWD #163 I still have left from chasing the variants (back then, the 1:500 and 1:200 sold for enough to generate a profit, and left you with a few years of 25 cent firestarter). The interesting thing is that Image claimed 730,000 to 750,000 copies were ordered based on the source, but based on the case numbers, only 513,720 of the regular 25 cent cover were shipped to Diamond. Image either fudged the numbers back then, or they overprinted and kept the rest to give out at their booth during the convention season. Seeing as stores would have paid roughly 12 cents per copy with their discount, it must have cost Image well less than that to print it.

1330019098_WalkingDead163boxlabel.thumb.jpg.5b7e73057adce27ac770e203938c7868.jpg

How are those 1000 copies you bought? What kind of shape? Do you also post at comics heating up as skiw99? 

Edited by Corona smith

10 hours ago, carter3175 said:

10 hours ago, littledoom said:

I always felt Hardware and Holocaust were a big enough deal

Hardware and Icon are a given, but should be interesting if they delve into the other Bang Babies such as Blood Syndicate ~

Edited by Bart Allen

17 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

30,000 is a big number IMO

17 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

I remember when Saga came out and its 30K+ sales number was huge at the time.

That turd Bedlam sold 18K (i think), and it was considered a large number. About 17,000 of those can be found on eBay for a dollar, probably.

30k of an independent comic can not be in any way related to Star Wars #1 introducing an whole new story arc to everyone.

15 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

It was December 7. Final Order Cut Off was December 7. I do remember seeing several store variants get announced after the Disney Investor call on December 10 that announced the TV show based in the High Republic.

Retailers were told by Marvel that they were not allowed to announce their store variants until the Thursday after FOC.

25 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

30k of an independent comic can not be in any way related to Star Wars #1 introducing an whole new story arc to everyone.

Retailers were told by Marvel that they were not allowed to announce their store variants until the Thursday after FOC.

I don't understand why Marvel took the approach they did with High Republic #1. Look at the heat that IDW is getting pre-FOC for High Republic Adventures #1 by dropping the Yoda 1:10 variant. It is going to blow up orders in a good way. They put out a rough version of a sub-par 1:25 pre-FOC which likely reduced orders, prior to that they sent a note to retailers that this was not tied to any of the current D+ and movie plans (and then a week after FOC announced the Acolytes show lol ), and then did not do any promotion of it until the livestream event on January 4th? Like I posted earlier, I am happy for IDW and hope this is a huge win for them. Being a small publisher is a tough game and hopefully this provides them with a nice pile of earnings to start the year off.

Edited by kimik

12 hours ago, Hekla said:

That 2010-2013 Image wave was a lot of fun, despite a few stinkers that came out.

:gossip: How could you forget Revival and Nowhere Men?

Nowhere Men was a winner for a while until the artist had some health issues, unfortunately. It was a great read and cool concept at the time. Thankfully, I sold my last 20 at $35 apiece to another dealer at a show just before things fell apart.

10 hours ago, kimik said:

No, if it had been 150K it would still sell at a premium due to it being SW and introducing new characters. That being said, this is a long play book that will pop more once Acolytes launches and other new D+ shows are produced. If I can still get $10 for raw 2015 SW 1s at shows, then this book will sell for much higher once conventions start here in the fall (hopefully).

That being said, it looks like first print orders that topped 100K for all three regular order covers is right for High Republic #1 first printing, and likely a bit high if stores ordered more of cover A. Here is the label on one of my cases for HR #1 cover A from the printer (Fry Communications) to Diamond, which puts the shipped to distributor Cover A print run at 198 cases x 180 copies per case = 36,540. 

1790502903_HighRepublic1boxlabel.thumb.jpg.3cc2fb52259aafd996f7380a19c04012.jpg

For comparisons sake, here is the distributed print run on one of the Crossover #3 Intermix McFarlane secret variant covers. I have to believe it is for the 1:4s as that would put it at just over 100,000 print run. If it is for a higher number ratio, then that is an insane print run.

67468213_Crossover3boxlabel.thumb.jpg.5e9a31e27a511fd3b68eb9b90cefd356.jpg

Thank you for the labels. Question though, the address is for Polk Lane in Olive Branch. Diamond has two distribution centers in Olive Branch as well as one in Plattsburg, NY and one in the UK. So you are saying the total case number is for all of these locations?

16 minutes ago, kimik said:

I don't understand why Marvel took the approach they did with High Republic #1. Look at the heat that IDW is getting pre-FOC for High Republic Adventures #1 by dropping the Yoda 1:10 variant. It is going to blow up orders in a good way. They put out a rough version of a sub-par 1:25 pre-FOC which likely reduced orders, prior to that they sent a note to retailers that this was not tied to any of the current D+ and movie plans (and then a week after FOC announced the Acolytes show lol ), and then did not do any promotion of it until the livestream event on January 4th? Like I posted earlier, I am happy for IDW and hope this is a huge win for them. Being a small publisher is a tough game and hopefully this provides them with a nice pile of earnings to start the year off.

Creates a demand for additional printings and people who will buy all of the covers in multiples.

8 minutes ago, kimik said:

Nowhere Men was a winner for a while until the artist had some health issues, unfortunately. It was a great read and cool concept at the time. Thankfully, I sold my last 20 at $35 apiece to another dealer at a show just before things fell apart.

I've gone through quite a few collections lately that had multiples of 1-3. It's like looking back in time and knowing exactly where their heads were at. 

13 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

The Hans (cover price) variant has been selling between $25-30. The others are in the $10-15 territory. It’s a nice cover and had one in my pull. Wonder if it will stay that way. 

the Hans one is nicer. Were they equal numbers?

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

How would we know?

They did not ship them in cases as far as I know. My file LCS had the numbers for cases and they were not shipped to them that way.

5 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I've gone through quite a few collections lately that had multiples of 1-3. It's like looking back in time and knowing exactly where their heads were at. 

I have a bunch of #4... buying after everything had fizzled. but they were 65 cents each, so no biggie. I can add that to my collections of Skullkickers 2 and 3s, Mind the Gap, Manhattan Peroject, Mind Mgmt, Todd, Thief of Thieves, and a few others I bought for nothing knowing the title had cooled and figuring sometimes things come back. Which reminds me, i need to dig up my copies of Fear Agent 1 I bought for the same reason.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

How would we know?

I dunno, you guys spend a lot of time looking into this stuff. There seem to be fewer of them on ebay, that's why I thought maybe there were fewer, but I did not spend a lot of time looking.