• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, GLCBrad said:

There’s a few reasons why they will stay cheap

First of which being that it’s a reprint not a real variant 

right. I am befuddled by modern collectors (not saying littledom is saying this) who seem to view these reprints put out months later (this was at the end of 2003, #1 came out in january) as somehow being relevant to what a first appearance should be worth. With that said, as something at least put out in the same year as #1, a relatively limited print run (although i have seen numbers from 1,000 - 3,000 quoted as the printrun)... in hindsight picking them up for $5 a pop was a no brainer as raws are now over $50 (of course, there are plenty of $5 investments in 2003 that could be $50 now, but hindsight, blah blah...) .. roughly in line with Invincible #7, which came out around when Larry's variant did. I have to say Larry's initial clarification of all of this was very un-Larry like...calm, cool, not hyping anything, realistic about his product, etc.... : 

It will be interesting to see if there is an Invincible show whether the whole run pops like Walking Dead did for all the pre #100 issues, when every issue under $100 was selling for double digits raw. WD and Deadpool are the only titles I can think of where every issue in the run popped (any others? Later preacher issues never really popped) Right now the early issues are not far off from where WD was a few months into the madness (I am not sure exactly when things really started to go nuts, I remember people being surprised when WD #1 hit $100 for a pristine raw copy and that, i am pretty sure, was well before they announced the show, but i also remember buying pristine copies of 9, 10, and 11 at Midtown for about $2 each (they had $3.50 stickers on them) at a 40% off sale when the book was in issues 30s or 40s ... I stupidly did not buy every back issue they had as I figured only the earliest ones would be worth anything ... and then proceeded to sell them here for like $4 a few months later when they market had not taken off... genius! seriously, i have so much krap I could have sold for a couple of bucks here, but i picked those? really?

24 minutes ago, the blob said:

It will be interesting to see if there is an Invincible show whether the whole run pops like Walking Dead did for all the pre #100 issues, when every issue under $100 was selling for double digits raw. WD and Deadpool are the only titles I can think of where every issue in the run popped (any others? Later preacher issues never really popped) Right now the early issues are not far off from where WD was a few months into the madness (I am not sure exactly when things really started to go nuts, I remember people being surprised when WD #1 hit $100 for a pristine raw copy and that, i am pretty sure, was well before they announced the show, but i also remember buying pristine copies of 9, 10, and 11 at Midtown for about $2 each (they had $3.50 stickers on them) at a 40% off sale when the book was in issues 30s or 40s ... I stupidly did not buy every back issue they had as I figured only the earliest ones would be worth anything ... and then proceeded to sell them here for like $4 a few months later when they market had not taken off... genius! seriously, i have so much krap I could have sold for a couple of bucks here, but i picked those? really?

I think all issues under 20 will see a nice price spike since the print run was so low.  I in no way think Invincible will be as huge a show as WD but it is a great story to pull from.  It really depends on how well the series is received but my fingers are crossed.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

right. I am befuddled by modern collectors (not saying littledom is saying this) who seem to view these reprints put out months later (this was at the end of 2003, #1 came out in january) as somehow being relevant to what a first appearance should be worth. With that said, as something at least put out in the same year as #1, a relatively limited print run (although i have seen numbers from 1,000 - 3,000 quoted as the printrun)... in hindsight picking them up for $5 a pop was a no brainer as raws are now over $50 (of course, there are plenty of $5 investments in 2003 that could be $50 now, but hindsight, blah blah...) .. roughly in line with Invincible #7, which came out around when Larry's variant did. I have to say Larry's initial clarification of all of this was very un-Larry like...calm, cool, not hyping anything, realistic about his product, etc.... : 

My problem is with those who value those free Halloween Comicfest giveaway reprints .. the Maul, Aphra, Miles ones sell for decent cash 

Edited by littledoom

2 minutes ago, littledoom said:

My problem is with those who value those free giveaway Halloween Comicfest reprints .. the Maul, Aphra, Miles ones sell for decent cash 

I don't disagree, but I think the difference between the books you listed is that there is a larger group of collectors of those characters and series. Star Wars and Spider-Man > Invincible 

55 minutes ago, the blob said:

funny how one of these posters is desperately trying to argue larry's is the equivalent to the real #1 and even rarer (he presumably owns 100 of them...): https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/3119/page/1/invincible-1-larrys-variant-clarity-/

There’s also the Invincible 1 5th Anniversary and the 2020 FCBD 

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Never thought I’d see the day the Liefeld Captain America 1 from 1996 would sell for $30+ 

Nomad Girl without a World 1 also $20-30 1st Rikki Barnes

Was Heroes Reborn 1/2 just previews or did it have original content? It came out before any of those others. 

10 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

And I'd like to see your Kirkman SS. There are only 43 in existence and I've never actually seen one from anyone I "know". Did you get it slabbed yourself or buy it that way? When? How much?

1EC1220D-16A3-44F5-BD85-F88A8AAC7EE2.thumb.jpeg.5b3c2d73108a73d2ba87201f2738e0ef.jpeg

I bought this Sep 2017 locally for $250 cash. It was already a CGC 9.8 SS slab. I had it reholdered. The guy had the rest of the single and double digit 9.8 slabs for $100.. wish I bought more