• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

My opinion on the asm55 

it’s a sweet cover but it seems of the two things that make a book hot, first appearance and cool cover, cool covers seem to fade

whos the artist? Known artist have staying power (people collect artists)

‘the final factor is scarcity which is usually driven by variant ratios (for cool covers)

not sure what the condition these came in, if it means 9.8s will be hard to find. That might be what keeps the value up. I just don’t think it has long term value 

11 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

My opinion on the asm55 

it’s a sweet cover but it seems of the two things that make a book hot, first appearance and cool cover, cool covers seem to fade

whos the artist? Known artist have staying power (people collect artists)

‘the final factor is scarcity which is usually driven by variant ratios (for cool covers)

not sure what the condition these came in, if it means 9.8s will be hard to find. That might be what keeps the value up. I just don’t think it has long term value 

(shrug)

image.png.5792b4963faff8f6782a1a34cfca4d27.png

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Fair assessment. The farther the books goes into prints the more iconic it will come I think.
I am okay with it either way. 

But I can say this. This is first cover I have seen in a long time that made me just admire it 
for awhile when I first saw it.

Any thoughts on the 2nd print? I think I'm going to stay away unless they invert the original cover with another black and white on a 3rd or 4th print or something

10 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:
4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Fair assessment. The farther the books goes into prints the more iconic it will come I think.
I am okay with it either way. 

But I can say this. This is first cover I have seen in a long time that made me just admire it 
for awhile when I first saw it.

Any thoughts on the 2nd print? I think I'm going to stay away unless they invert the original cover with another black and white on a 3rd or 4th print or something

If you are buying cheap who cares. If you are buying 3 months from now that advice would be different. 
I like the red cover and I don't like the 2nd print variant. There will be more versions down the road.

Some store will do one too as well. Thank god there are no big conventions or we would have a dozen
different ones.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

2nd to last issue (I’m going to assume print run is lower for a Batman title)

“joker” cover

Jock cover

Part of a solid storyline 

I’ll take your joker and raise it with the most popular super hero currently....Spider-Man. 

Jocks overrated as well. The second print lost a lot of its value because of the 1:50 ratio variant but the 1st and ratio variant will definitely go higher in value. I also think the 2nd print is the best looking cover thus far. 

5 hours ago, Corona smith said:

I’ll take your joker and raise it with the most popular super hero currently....Spider-Man. 

Jocks overrated as well. The second print lost a lot of its value because of the 1:50 ratio variant but the 1st and ratio variant will definitely go higher in value. I also think the 2nd print is the best looking cover thus far. 

I meant that “joker” in itself has its own following

yes Spider-Man is popular (id argue he’s not the most “popular” Spider-Man at the moment -Miles) but while Batman has a following, some people separate from Batman love the Joker

Jock maybe overrated but this is still a great cover

15 hours ago, engelhard said:

so whats up with this comic?... does not sell for a lot but sells super fast on feebay

s-l1600.jpg

DC / Marvel crossover with 2 really popular characters. It's also 25 years old and has (to my knowledge) never been reprinted.

Edited by Dr Zen

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

Tex 880 is a strikingly different cover, creative, artsy, classic (at this point), etc. I get it. Not sure why that makes it a $200-250 book raw, but the market has decided. Jock can be hit or miss. With that said, what pushes some cover into this sort of territiry, or even $50 territory, is a wonder to me. There are some killer classic covers out there. This was supposed to be one, but it never seemed to get past the initial hump it his off selling for a few bucks more than issues around it: s-l1600.jpg

I agree the wolverine 55's were a good read imo...... but still was blessed to pick up all 3 covers at cover price. Yet it seems the "dead" in quotes, is a bit of a hinderance maybe?

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

And what makes this one $50+

s-l1600.jpg

Rather than this one?:

s-l1600.jpgok, i know the difference...

lol ya but haha. I'd take either lol I's a think they're both cool :shy: