• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Nobody likes a know it all. :p

lol  I only know it because I sold a couple of name change sets on Ebay right before the Captain Marvel movie was released. Marvel loves repackaging their characters. Carol Danvers has had quite a few name changes herself. Ms. Marvel>Binary>Warbird>Captain Marvel>Supreme Accuser. That's not even counting her nicknames through out the years.

Here is a book burning up eBay I have not seen anyone talk about.  Maybe you guys have and I missed it.  This is impressive either way.  I think HBO picked this up.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=the+untammed+1&_sacat=63&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=63&_odkw=untammed&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

I had to pick up 2 sets of the NYCC variant once I saw this.

Edited by carter3175

6 hours ago, carter3175 said:

Here is a book burning up eBay I have not seen anyone talk about.  Maybe you guys have and I missed it.  This is impressive either way.  I think HBO picked this up.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=the+untammed+1&_sacat=63&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=63&_odkw=untammed&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

I had to pick up 2 sets of the NYCC variant once I saw this.

It was really big for awhile on G+ and a few other sites a year or two ago. HBO has picked it up, but I havent read much on development at all.
I have a couple of related issues I stashed somewhere in some boxes.

On 1/21/2021 at 10:57 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm convinced that the one-shot and the rando Captain Marvel mini-series published in the 90s were solely because Marvel had to publish something to keep the Captain Marvel trademark.

No doubt.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Really let me say this to older collectors who are older then me. Now is the time to let go. The money is out there, the buyers are out
there. the market is in a frenzy from new speculators. Start selling off pieces of your collection while the market is hot. This type of 
selling market only comes around once in a blue moon. Take advantage of it. 

There are frenzies like this every 7-10 years where prices jump across the board then settle, and smaller run ups every 4-5 years in between. The key is accumulating enough material during the plateauing and consolidation phase to capitalize on the next run. There is also a cycle to the market - GA runs up, then SA, then BA, then CA and MA. The major keys jump first, and the others follow suit. Since I started selling in university in1997 you can follow that pattern pretty much like clockwork.

Basically, the comics market reflects the cycles in the stock market. That is likely where the money to fuel the big gains comes from. However, GA/SA/BA (and now likely CA) comics tend to hold their value better when the stock markets are down.

Edited by kimik

8 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

This isn't the same thing. This is influenced by a pandemic and government stimulus it isn't the same thing as a frenzy which yes we see every 5 to 10 years.

Normally I would agree with you but I'm can easily point at 3 supportable data points that dilute your argument. Stimulus and pandemic are easy to show while the growth of new collectors/speculators is harder.  Those 3 make a perfect storm and we can add 4 if we use your argument. 

All even go farther and say we will never see this again. My sales last 4 to 6 months are 3x what they were in previous years. My problem now is finding good inventory because I am selling faster then I can find. I wish this happened a couple of years down the road when I am retired so I could do this full time since I like doing it.

I feel like we’ve got a few more months of gold fever before the market makes some kind of correction. Collectors aren’t buying in at this level, and the specs are basically just selling to each other.   This Star Wars Run-up could very well be the final dance before the music stops. 

18 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

All even go farther and say we will never see this again. My sales last 4 to 6 months are 3x what they were in previous years. My problem now is finding good inventory because I am selling faster then I can find. I wish this happened a couple of years down the road when I am retired so I could do this full time since I like doing it.

Where are you located, roughly?

10 minutes ago, manetteska said:
29 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Where are you located, roughly?

Midwest. For me I have to go farther for inventory. I am envious of Hector and others who live in large cities with abundant inventory.

16 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I feel like we’ve got a few more months of gold fever before the market makes some kind of correction. Collectors aren’t buying in at this level, and the specs are basically just selling to each other.   This Star Wars Run-up could very well be the final dance before the music stops. 

Thats a valid point and concern. At some point the music will stop.  Just put the money away now and buying opportunities will be great when it happens.

Heating up and still hot stuff.

Daredevil #25 This one puzzles me as everyone knows Matt is getting out of jail. To me this is bad spec. But its still selling. 

Daredevil 25

Future State Teen Titans #1 This one i understand with some 1st appearances in it. 

Future state Teen Titans

Hot Valley Days and Cocaine Nights Low Print Run Good Story I'm told 

Hot Valley Days and Cocaine Nights 

Captain America #25 Heating up again almost back to where it was. 

Captain America #25

Star Wars High Republic #1 2nd Print  Its selling for more than the 1st print. Its not on shelves yet.

High Republic #1 2nd Print

Edited by siro123

30 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Thats a valid point and concern. At some point the music will stop.  Just put the money away now and buying opportunities will be great when it happens.

As you said, you’ve sold books that have doubled in price just in the time it’s takes to ship them.  Most aren’t able to shrug that off, and that fear of leaving money on the table manifests itself in a reluctance to sell.   That reluctance to sell will ultimately be their demise. 

29 minutes ago, siro123 said:

Daredevil #25 This one puzzles me as everyone knows Matt is getting out of jail. To me this is bad spec. But its still selling. 

Daredevil 25

Future State Teen Titans #1 This one i understand with some 1st appearances in it. 

Future state Teen Titans

Captain America #25

Star Wars High Republic #1 2nd Print  Its selling for more than the 1st print. Its not on shelves yet.

That teen titans Go23,FSTT1 package sale is interesting, 300 bucks. I wonder how much a Graded TTGo23,FSTT1 A cover, FSTT2 B cover package will go for?

8 hours ago, siro123 said:

Daredevil 25

Future state Teen Titans

Captain America #25

I've bought and read Daredevil every month for a LONG time.  This was one I missed because of the hype.  

I agree, I don't understand DD 25 at all. 

We had Blank Panther and Iron Fist as DD recently and that had virtually no interest in comparison. 

For 90%, it felt like the book was going nowhere.  But the end gave a glimpse that there might be a long game.  

I also don't see it as a good spec book. 

Patrick