• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, lonetree said:

I love this thread - went though my stack of Previews and found this - guess its getting submitted to CGC Fast Track

MP95.jpg

Great find. I haven't kept track of prices of this, especially in non-CGC-9.8.

Considering the creasing on the spine is the time/cost worth it to get slabbed versus raw?

Let's say this comes back in an 8.5 or 9.0 slab; what is the realized price difference?

48 minutes ago, lonetree said:

I love this thread - went though my stack of Previews and found this - guess its getting submitted to CGC Fast Track

MP95.jpg

Congrats man that is so awesome. I've been going through dozens of boxes because I'm pretty sure I have one of these bad boys. Keep us posted on the grade! ^^

23 hours ago, the blob said:
23 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Oh the tolls of the big city life with 10 or 20 comics shops in a 30/45 mile radius. 
I don't know how you guys make it. 

Yeah, but finding parking near most of them is a giant PITA!

Boo Hoo you and your brother might have to walk a bit. :baiting:

22 hours ago, gradejunky said:

I left them out as I was just summing up the main comic outlets around here.  Yes, I have gone to BAMF many times and gotten some decent finds there, but not much as the back issue section is pretty small as you already know.  I actually live about a 10 min drive from there.  Cool shop and owners for sure.

So I read above and I have been to our your shops in your areas once or twice. I would agree about your large shops.  CoC is way overpriced and they use Graham cracker Comics website to price from as well because I saw them doing it one day when I was here looking which I found strange. I did find a few books, but there wall books were a good 25/40% over what I might pay on ebay I couldn't believe it.

I did however find 2 complete sets 1st prints and several signed Stabbity Bunny TPB/sets at one your smaller shops in that area a few years back right before Stabbity got hot. 

I also remember a very odd comic shop in a run down mall there that was also a bar and something else it was huge. But it had a large back stock hidden in the back they let me go thru and I found a ton of good books with fair prices. So while I agree with you on CoC I found a couple of small shops that I did very well one back then.(Maybe 5 years ago or so.) 

21 hours ago, Pat Thomas said:

First time posting in this thread, and I hope I don't bring up something that's already been discussed to death, but I had to say something about Marvel Previews 95. Since at least last summer, this book had been routinely selling for $300 raw, being marketed by Ebay sellers as the first image of Miles Morales. I jumped in and sold mine for $300 because I figured people would eventually lose interest in that book and switch back to Ultimate Fallout 4 as Miles's first appearance. But looking at recent sold listings of Marvel Previews 95, there have been sales of RAW copies this month that sold for over $3000. A CGC 9.6 sold for $8000. Obviously, I should've waited, but I don't think I've ever seen a book like this (that hardly anybody even acknowledges) go on a tear like this. I really don't know how I feel about it. It seems crazy to me. But could this be a trend that lasts? I ask that question simply because of the obscene amounts people have paid for this book within the last month.

Welcome BTW.

Actually there are books like this just not to this level. You have to really ask yourself who is buying this book. Are they Miles fans that want a 1st appearance on a preview magazine? Or speculators reselling to themselves or convincing others it will continue to go up. 

Personally I wouldn't touch this book, but only to sell it if I found it cheap. I would look at UF4 all day long and I would buy a newsstand copy and keep it this time.(Instead of selling 3 of them like a :censored: which is what I did.)

Just my two cents.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

So I read above and I have been to our your shops in your areas once or twice. I would agree about your large shops.  CoC is way overpriced and they use Graham cracker Comics website to price from as well because I saw them doing it one day when I was here looking which I found strange. I did find a few books, but there wall books were a good 25/40% over what I might pay on ebay I couldn't believe it.

I did however find 2 complete sets 1st prints and several signed Stabbity Bunny TPB/sets at one your smaller shops in that area a few years back right before Stabbity got hot. 

I also remember a very odd comic shop in a run down mall there that was also a bar and something else it was huge. But it had a large back stock hidden in the back they let me go thru and I found a ton of good books with fair prices. So while I agree with you on CoC I found a couple of small shops that I did very well one back then.(Maybe 5 years ago or so.) 

A Comic Shop is the one with the bar in the old run down strip mall next to Full Sail University.  Funny, I did not know they kept any back stock to go through in the back you said?  They deal in new comics only and even when I used to go there quite often and talked with the clerks, they never told me they had backstock even though they knew I'm a spender. I've been to the small shop I think your talking about with Stabbity Bunny.  It is in the Winter Garden/Claremont area which is where the creators of that book are from.  I had seen it during my travels when working a pool job that took me to that area often and I stopped in one day to check it out.  I too grabbed some Stabbity books of which I just sold one of the #1's just the other week.  I believe they were new books only for the most part with very little if any back issues.  I can't remember really.  So there are some smaller shops here and there, but many have little to no back issues and most are quite a drive from where I am in Maitland. Sucks to drive an hour in any direction to come up totally flat.

1 minute ago, gradejunky said:

A Comic Shop is the one with the bar in the old run down strip mall next to Full Sail University.  Funny, I did not know they kept any back stock to go through in the back you said?  They deal in new comics only and even when I used to go there quite often and talked with the clerks, they never told me they had backstock even though they knew I'm a spender. I've been to the small shop I think your talking about with Stabbity Bunny.  It is in the Winter Garden/Claremont area which is where the creators of that book are from.  I had seen it during my travels when working a pool job that took me to that area often and I stopped in one day to check it out.  I too grabbed some Stabbity books of which I just sold one of the #1's just the other week.  I believe they were new books only for the most part with very little if any back issues.  I can't remember really.  So there are some smaller shops here and there, but many have little to no back issues and most are quite a drive from where I am in Maitland. Sucks to drive an hour in any direction to come up totally flat.

You are correct on both places I think. I had to do alot of scouting and mapping out places before I went anywhere and I was very disappointed on CoC because I thought I would buy a lot there and couldn't justify their prices even for my collection when I could them quite a bit cheaper from other places. I try not to reward places that are really expensive unless I have too. 

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

Considering the creasing on the spine is the time/cost worth it to get slabbed versus raw?

Let's say this comes back in an 8.5 or 9.0 slab; what is the realized price difference?

Since the previews was free, my only investment is the CGC cost:

MP95.jpg

6 minutes ago, lonetree said:
1 hour ago, manetteska said:

MP95.jpg

Understood, but there is a severe drop off below 9.2/9.0. Even removing the cost of shipping/insurance/grading (you are going to use the correct tier, right, for this $1k comic? ;) ) / shipping back, etc. let's say your comic is an 8.5.

Sale is $425, but a bit old, so let's say more like $700.

Then we check raw sales (hard to decipher actual grades here but same goes for the buyer. Once you put it in a CGC slab, that's the grade):

image.png.7886042793bd22cd792aef484c2ea9f3.png

image.thumb.png.12fc5fefe6d72539d87a153f4ef96ffb.png(this one has the checklist inside marked off so that has to be a grade drop)

image.thumb.png.ba488c35983369933e2cccccd428165a.png

image.thumb.png.f382893b0189e932784edb67815037f3.png

Not to mention time to get it graded and back. I know this is all "free" to you, but why spend more money to potentially lose money or break even?

18 minutes ago, lonetree said:

MP95.jpg

crazy, something that was probably thrown out and/or given away by a lot of shops once no longer current. my old LCS would often given them away or just eventually toss them. i would not even see them in the 3 for $2 box. I was always tempted to take them home, but figured they take up space...

1 hour ago, GLCBrad said:

This may explain the sustained rise of the early Invincible issues, in particular #1. A 9.4 sold at auction on the bay for $790 the other day.

Invincible Live-Action Film still in development, will exist separately from animated series

I think its because the animated series had a trailer released and Amazon finally gave it a date of release. That was on Saturday I think?

9 hours ago, the blob said:
10 hours ago, lonetree said:

MP95.jpg

Expand  

crazy, something that was probably thrown out and/or given away by a lot of shops once no longer current. my old LCS would often given them away or just eventually toss them. i would not even see them in the 3 for $2 box. I was always tempted to take them home, but figured they take up space...

The only LCS I ever go to uses  them to wrap your paid comics in instead of bags. :whistle: Expensive fish wrap there! :roflmao:

On 1/26/2021 at 10:35 AM, lonetree said:

MP95.jpg

Oh, please do not go on and on and talk about this book.  You might awaken the bad people. :o

Either way good luck and it looks like you are playing with house money. :applause: