• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2021 at 6:07 PM, fastballspecial said:

That's because its a Previews book that nobody but hard speculators care about. UF4 is the better bet by far. Its advertising
pure and simple. 

Spend the money if you want, but hope those speculators stay around because collectors don't want the book anywhere near
that price.

Isn't wolverine in ads that pre-date 180 or are they contemoranious? Starlord is pictured in marvel premiere 11. Isn't black lightning on the cover of comic reader before BL 1 came out? We could go on and on with characters who were pictured before they appeared. Noble causes 4 variant shows invincible, it is a cool novelty and commands a premium, but it isn't invincible 1. I was just flipping through my Werewolf by Night 37 and they have teaser images for the Eternals. 1st app?

Edited by the blob

17 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I'm a long time proponent of Crossgen.  But damn,  this is dumb.   I'd sell quickly too.

Patrick

My copy was only around VF. Threw it on the bay for $40, it sold in an hour or so. I guess I could have tried to squeeze more out of it, but this was found money for me, so I'm happy to get it outta here.

Just now, F For Fake said:

My copy was only around VF. Threw it on the bay for $40, it sold in an hour or so. I guess I could have tried to squeeze more out of it, but this was found money for me, so I'm happy to get it outta here.

Kudos, I'd have done the same. 

Patrick

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

People are trying to sell this as a 1st Young Avengers.  Guessing it came out around #6.  Pretty cool artwork inside.  I sure do like Bishop. Patriot has so much upside.

Patrick

20210130_135756.jpg

20210130_135936.jpg

20210130_135941.jpg

I think those 2000s Marvel Spotlights always come after the popular issues they feature

5 hours ago, Jitstark said:

I can't get my head around the Previews and adverts collectors/sellers saying these are first appearances. For me, it's like people buying a trailer instead of a full movie.

People can collect what they like and if they want to spend big on them then more power to them but don't make out these are on the same level as first apps. They're a cameo at best.

My dude that ship has sailed lol. I personally call it the Miles affect, Hulk 180 started the wave but Marvel Previews 95 took it to new heights. In my opinion, a lot of the blame goes to CGC, turned folks into label chasers, ( I’m guilty as well) take Jessica Cruz for an example. 2nd cameo ? Come on lol. Might as well play up the cameo and cash in. Watch what happens to Noble cause 4. 

D52F5AA6-EB69-42BC-B9DD-EAA8CBDD9354.jpeg

8 hours ago, Jitstark said:

I can't get my head around the Previews and adverts collectors/sellers saying these are first appearances. For me, it's like people buying a trailer instead of a full movie.

I was thinking that also. I actually have the phantom menace trailer on film. First appearance of darth maul, should be crazy valuable any minute now 🙄

20 hours ago, the blob said:
On 1/28/2021 at 5:07 PM, fastballspecial said:

That's because its a Previews book that nobody but hard speculators care about. UF4 is the better bet by far. Its advertising
pure and simple. 

Spend the money if you want, but hope those speculators stay around because collectors don't want the book anywhere near
that price.

Isn't wolverine in ads that pre-date 180 or are they contemoranious? Starlord is pictured in marvel premiere 11. Isn't black lightning on the cover of comic reader before BL 1 came out? We could go on and on with characters who were pictured before they appeared. Noble causes 4 variant shows invincible, it is a cool novelty and commands a premium, but it isn't invincible 1. I was just flipping through my Werewolf by Night 37 and they have teaser images for the Eternals. 1st app?

Edited 9 hours ago by the blob

There is always going to be some novelty money there. I sold a Thor 229 with a Mark Jeweler add for $100 last year probably could have got more. 

The trick there is to be the one selling not the one buying. They are going to be bleed prices for awhile. But again that's been my philosophy for years. 
I passed on a Hawkeye 9 2nd print yesterday at a shop. NM copy or at least close and they wanted $125 and wouldn't budge. So I passed. Your level
threshold for risk determines and sometimes cost you some money. Nobody wins them all.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

The ads (which are for 181, of course) don't even predate 181, let alone 180.

Well, depending on when in November those comics came out (there are several with the ad), they might be the second not really cameo appearance of Wolverine (by the Marvel Previews logic) other than that issue of Sgt. Fury where he is one of the soldiers in the background. The imagery of Eternals was previewed in Marvel comics 4 months before Eternals came out. 

59 minutes ago, the blob said:

Well, depending on when in November those comics came out (there are several with the ad), they might be the second not really cameo appearance of Wolverine (by the Marvel Previews logic) other than that issue of Sgt. Fury where he is one of the soldiers in the background. The imagery of Eternals was previewed in Marvel comics 4 months before Eternals came out. 

Foom 2

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
4 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

Hulk 180 is not in any way comparable to the current ads/previews situation

Exactly. Wolverine appears in a story. Granted, it's just at the end of the story, as a teaser for the next issue, but without the story, it's not a comic.

Wolverine is shown on the last page of Hulk #180, but the third page of Hulk #180 has a Canadian military boss telling the team to react to Hulk by "mobilize Weapon X".

So, Wolverine is "activated" in the story on the third page, and is "on his way" (behind the scenes) until he catches up to Hulk and Wendigo on the last page.

He didn't just come out of nowhere with "Hi, I'm Wolverine, there's no reason for me to be here - tune in next month..." :grin:

5 hours ago, littledoom said:

The only preview I'd like to buy is this catalog if it existed.. I'm sure there's several hungry buyers with this saved search

spiderman_side1.jpg?_ga=2.199139369.7400

It exists and has been up for auction:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1954-ben-cooper-spider-man-1st-ever-1750757999

Did Stan come up with ANY of his own ideas?

Just now, the blob said:

It exists and has been up for auction:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1954-ben-cooper-spider-man-1st-ever-1750757999

Did Stan come up with ANY of his own ideas?

Ben Cooper seems to have been good natured about it because in 1963 Ben Cooper is selling Marvel Spiderman costumes. I wonder if Marvel got a release from Ben Cooper as part of that licensing and that is why there was never any litigation?