• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Jesse James Comics said he ordered 75 copies that were later reduced to 25 and earlier today reduced to 17.

Feels like manufactured scarcity.

ugh...I'll wait to see how this plays out before passing judgement, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

I saw this. It sounded to me like shops were getting in on the spec game and ordering a lot more than what they had orders for. If I get hosed out of a first print, I’m going to be pretty upset.

A Shop’s minimum orders going forward will be based  on this order, and it seems like the Bad Idea guys don’t want to see a repeat of the 90s when shops were sitting on pallets of books and many went under. So I don’t really know where the blame lies here  

I hope my order gets filled. I’m lucky and have two stores near me who are participating, so I’ll probably reach out to the shop I have an order with to make sure it’s being filled. If it isn’t I’ll see if the other is taking orders still. 

I’m not following this whole saga but how do “shops order more than what they had orders for”?

Isn’t that why there is an order form before the comic’s release — to know how many to make?

20 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I’m not following this whole saga but how do “shops order more than what they had orders for”?

Isn’t that why there is an order form before the comic’s release — to know how many to make?

Sorry, I worded that poorly and maybe I'm reading between the lines, but based on the previous note Bad Idea sent out (quoted below), it sounded like shops were ordering more copies than they had customer pre-orders and what they would (likely) be able to sell on the shelves at cover price.

WE LOVE YOU BUT YOU'VE OVER-ORDERED ENIAC #1

Bad Idea Destination Stores,

This is a bit weird and we totally get that we're supposed to be short-sighted publishing execs who are obsessed with announcing big orders but in what must be a first in comics history:

We are asking you to REDUCE your order of ENIAC #1.

We are so incredibly proud of ENIAC and couldn't be more honored that you have all put so much faith in it with your orders but as a small, new publisher our readership is just beginning to form. Which means it's relatively small. Our partnership with you is also just beginning and the last thing that we want is any of the incredible stores that have taken a chance with us to be left with copies they can't sell. We intend to aggressively grow our readership over the next years and decades but we're cognizant that the path is a slow and steady one.

More than that, you didn't just order a lot of our launch book. You ordered A LOT! Especially considering BAD IDEA Rule #6: "Your order on the first issue of an arc is your minimum order on each subsequent issue of that arc." Which was supposed to discourage orders not blow past our most aggressive high end projections! We're working with our printer on several solutions but there is a very real chance we will not have enough copies for all the orders. So, before we're forced to do an allocation, we're asking any of you that would like to reduce their orders to take the opportunity to do something truly unique in publishing history. Please. With our blessing. Lower your order. Simply reply to this email with your previous order and tell us what you'd like the new amount to be.

Edited by awakeintheashes

4 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Aren’t they in business to sell comics? Seems like they’re making it difficult just to get their product. 

They also make the retailer agree to only sell one copy of each book to each customer so you're not supposed to sell more than one copy to one person.  Again, making it more difficult for them to sell books.  Unless their goal is to have the retailers order more so they can sell on the secondary market and make uber money?  

10 minutes ago, greggy said:

They also make the retailer agree to only sell one copy of each book to each customer so you're not supposed to sell more than one copy to one person.  Again, making it more difficult for them to sell books.  Unless their goal is to have the retailers order more so they can sell on the secondary market and make uber money?  

No description available.

1 hour ago, Second Blight said:

They limit the number of stores that can order the book......they reduce retailers orders.........they state that the book can only be sold 1 per customer..............and they have the nerve to come out with "rules" as to how and where the book display has to be.....

73BA9FEF-BE5E-4BEA-9F5B-69953362F686.thumb.jpeg.346fe311eb0c8a2e7e5bea23e836cc61.jpeg

Bad idea ...

One per person... NOT! 0.5 per person or less

No variants ... NOT! Now we have Not 1st print variants

You will get the same number of #6s as you did #1s... NOT! Your #1s were allocated but we'll hold you to that higher order for the rest of the series 

625904-bad2.jpg.bfbd5287b76c974af95b20fdde3af2cc.jpg

9 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Sorry, I worded that poorly and maybe I'm reading between the lines, but based on the previous note Bad Idea sent out (quoted below), it sounded like shops were ordering more copies than they had customer pre-orders and what they would (likely) be able to sell on the shelves at cover price.

Still not understanding the shops ordering more than they had pre-orders. Albeit I’ve never ordered as a store before but logically it would be something like:

Comic people: Oh we have a new comic coming out. Please tell us how many your store wants. 

Stores: Sure. All the shops together would like 20k copies. 

Comic people: Great. We will print 25k (or similar) to account for damages, etc. And then we will ship out the 10 your store ordered on the order form. 

I understand if something happened with the printer but if you order 10 during the open-order period, why are you not getting 10 and how are you ordering more?

Edited by manetteska
typo

26 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Still not understanding the shops ordering more than they had pre-orders. Albeit I’ve never ordered as a store before but logically it would be something like:

Comic people: Oh we have a new comic coming out. Please tell us how many your store wants. 

Comic people: Great. We will print 25k (or similar) to account for damages, etc. And then we will ship out the 10 your store ordered on the order form. 

I understand if something happened with the printer but if you order 10 during the open-order period, why are you not getting 10 and how are you ordering more?

The only time it I've ever heard a logical explanation is when the smaller companies have large orders and their printers simply can't meet the demand in the specified time frame. I think that's what happened with Last Ronin #1. Nothing to back that up that I've read anywhere.

37 minutes ago, manetteska said:

That's how it should work, but it sounds like it's working out this way.

Bad Idea: Oh we have a new comic coming out. Please tell us how many your store wants. 

Store A: I'd like 25 copies

Bad Idea: Sorry, that's too many. We think you only have 5 pull-list request, and there is no way you can sell 20 of our book on the shelves. You can reduce your order with no penalty, or we are only going to ship you 7 books, because WE think that's how many you can sell.

6 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

That's how it should work, but it sounds like it's working out this way.

Bad Idea: Oh we have a new comic coming out. Please tell us how many your store wants. 

Store A: I'd like 25 copies

Bad Idea: Sorry, that's too many. We think you only have 5 pull-list request, and there is no way you can sell 20 of our book on the shelves. You can reduce your order with no penalty, or we are only going to ship you 7 books, because WE think that's how many you can sell.

So they (potentially) printed before the orders came in based on perceived interest? Rather than actual orders. 

If the printer screwed you, you would blame them instead of immediately starting your new company with Bad Vibes by cutting orders. 

Edited by manetteska

6 minutes ago, manetteska said:

So they (potentially) printed before the orders came in based on perceived interest? Rather than actual orders. 

If the printer screwed you, you would blame them instead of immediately starting your new company with Bad Vibes by cutting orders. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15605977

8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

No idea what the real reason for this is, though. I'm sure it'll come out in time...always does.

Trying to build up their readership by limiting orders? Makes sense in the twilight zone maybe. They’ve accomplished one thing which is creating a buzz. But not in a good way.  This is the hot topic on all the forums. It’s been up for preorder for a year almost and they can’t meet demands? They have the audacity to call other publishers short sighted because they want to sell as many books as possible?! Isn’t that the point in publishing a book? To sell books?! 

Edited by Corona smith

1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

Trying to build up their readership by limiting orders? Makes sense in the twilight zone maybe. They’ve accomplished one thing which is creating a buzz. But not in a good way.  This is the hot topic on all the forums. It’s been up for preorder for a year almost and they can’t meet demands? They have the audacity to call other publishers short sighted because they want to sell as many books as possible?! Isn’t that the point in publishing a book? To sell books?! 

The only thing that makes sense here is that if they're not printing much more than the pre-order numbers, then you may get a lot more people pre-ordering all of the future books, rather than waiting to grab it off the shelf. Since all of the creators involved have good track records, I can't see there being much disappointment in having to pre-order on the part of people that are buying them to read them.