• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Carl Elvis said:

059CAD1D-B904-4367-8A56-43DEDC2CB83F.jpeg.00351ea3f5a3198069445676f28f90f3.jpeg

Anyone trying to find a copy of Reptil‘s 1st appearance there's two hiding in pricey lots on eBay;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123704220264

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223563501355

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/reptil-from-avengers-academy-gets-his-own-series-ebay-goes-mad/

I picked up 2 cheap copies off eBay after a member here mentioned he’d sold 2 copies that had been sitting for months. There weren’t that many copies available to begin with. 

On 2/14/2021 at 8:41 PM, divad said:

:roflmao:Quite possibly, the worst written and drawn comic of ALL time! :roflmao:

The Tony Salmons original art for basic character pages of Dakota North - without her on them - have sold for upwards of $500 each. That art is not considered bad at all and it’s in very high demand because the series is now a cult classic and there’s a rabid fan base for her original series (thankfully, I’m not part of that group). I’ve been shocked at how little comic art Salmons drew and it wasn’t like he drew long runs of anything like Miller drawing Daredevil or Simonson on Thor, but Salmon pages sell really high.

13 hours ago, littledoom said:

Saw a $250 raw sale for West Coast Avengers 94. Don’t know how legitimate that was. It’s definitely in the $30 range now. I remember seeing it days ago paired w Iron Man 282 lots..which are increasing. So is 118. That used to be a stale $15-30 sale if lucky enough. Now $45-50+. Is 169 & 170 the next big War Machine/“Amor Wars” books to heat up? 

The market is funny. Rhodes first wears the War Machine armor in Iron Man 284, but still uses the name Iron Man. Yet WCA 94 is considered the more important (based on sales results). But looking at X-Factor, Warren Worthington first takes on the name Archangel in X-Factor 38 which barely sells for more than the surrounding issues, but it's the earlier issue that introduces the look that's the key.

7 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

The Tony Salmons original art for basic character pages of Dakota North - without her on them - have sold for upwards of $500 each. That art is not considered bad at all and it’s in very high demand because the series is now a cult classic and there’s a rabid fan base for her original series (thankfully, I’m not part of that group). I’ve been shocked at how little comic art Salmons drew and it wasn’t like he drew long runs of anything like Miller drawing Daredevil or Simonson on Thor, but Salmon pages sell really high.

He is an artist's artist from what I have heard. I used to see him in NYC (25 years ago? 30?) and I once had about a dozen pages from Vigilante (I think it was) and people wanted to see them when I would mention them. He certainly has a thing goin' on in his art, wild slapdash brush strokes, big bold ones. Some comic artists really like his stuff. He seems to be on the edge as a person and an artist. Very nice guy if a bit dodgy back then.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:34 AM, comixry said:

I can't wait for Wildcats Covert Action Teams #1 to explode. Next year would be its 30th anniversary. Let's put our GME stock gains into 90's comics! I say this sarcastically (but who knows these days). :ohnoez:

You laugh, but there's real demand for newsstand versions of these books.

2 hours ago, Gman65NJ said:

Just saw crazy last minute bidding on eBay for Young Avengers #1 CGC 9.8 drive it to $714 price...a record I think and 2x what it was a couple months ago. And there are BIN copies for much less!

85F1C7A5-A619-48D7-8657-9544FC66863E.png

Triply absurd!!! :roflmao:

8 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Finished my last shops/dealers I buy from in the winter. Interesting viewpoints I got on the market the last month. 

Many dealers have run out of what they call good inventory. (I disagree because I still bought tons from them, but
I digress.)

They explained to me that Covid money as wiped them out of key books and they are struggling to find books to
replace them. I heard this at 4 different shops or dealers over the past month. The rest either wouldn't tell me or
the owner wasn't there at the time or didn't care to talk to me. Some are purposely overpricing some books in an
effort to be both greedy and keep some inventory in my opinion. (Seems odd I know.)

Wandavision is driving alot of sales I have sold a couple Mighty Avengers 1 and the store variant for $15-20 and $55ish
Avengers Unplugged, ASM Annual 16 Avenger 227 and several West Coast Avengers books are moving well as well
as Avengers 185-187.

Dept of Truth is about to completely catch on fire and rightly so. Anyone who has read it has to admit its was going to 
be a hit. I will sell a couple to make a little profit then I will keep the rest. I bought every cheap copy I could find the last
few months and sold several in my sales thread last month. 

ASM 55 still going strong at $30 to $40 a copy. And yes there will be a 4th and probably 5th print and I think thats
great. Haters can suck it. 

Omnibuses are really selling well for me, but I only buy them when I can get them below retail which helps my profit
margin. Even OOP trades for the right books sell well as some like Amalgam are really hard to find. Do your research
you can make good money here. 

Never ever in a million years would I thought I would see X-force 1 sell for more then a $1, but those DP cards are
selling multiple sales of $25-30 per issue. I could not bring myself to buy 2 copies today for $10 each because
I just cant bring myself to buy them for more then $1. Anyone around in the 90s knows the print run of this book.

Those early Marvel Series cards from the 90s that we all passed over and laughed at for almost 30 years are now
worth a large sum. I mean a Really large sum for boxes. 

Static issues continue to fly out the door for me from issues 25+ to 35ish. I picked up my last Platinum copy probably
this week and found a Hardware 50 and almost fainted in the shop. 

I bought 20 Spawn newsstand issues from 7 to 45 not huge money makers, but all were high grade and they will sell
fairly quickly. Shops are catching up on Spawn issues I can no longer get a Spawn 75-200 for under $5 now.

Now I leave you with a couple of thoughts. If dealers continue to struggle for inventory this means when Covid money
hits your ebay stores they are going to sell out like a fat kid likes cake. So be prepared for an onslaught in a month or two 
like you will never see again. 

Lastly I get a lot of people on facebook crying about ebay and suggesting alternatives sites. Instagram, FB, Mecari, Auction
sites, CGC, and build your own websites. All of these are great ideas and all of them have their place in the selling market. I
personally buy from everyone one of those sites and many more.

Now when it comes to selling I choose to sell on ebay and CGC for reasons that benefit me. I have a built in buyer base for
years of being on both sites. I think auction sites are great for high end books.  I think Instagram has a rabid audience for
comics, but they are limited by sellers trying to avoid taxes by trying to insist on F/F payments.(Which voids your buyer protection
if you dont know that.)

Anyone who tells you cant sell on CGC is lying. I just had a sales thread with right at 50 buyers. It takes time, persistance
and patience. Learning to grade helps too. 

Facebook has the largest potential buying pool, but is hampered, but its lack of professional salesmanship, grading and poor
packing. In a couple of years I can see  Facebook as a good alternative to ebay its just not quite there yet. 
Don't even get me started on Amazon I have very little good to say about sellers there for comics.  Mercari has very little
traffic comparable fees to ebay and asked the same prices. 

These were just some of the discussion points I have had with other dealers the last few weeks/month when I got to go out 
and dig thru back issues while talking in their stores or flea markets. Others will have different experiences and if it works
for you that's great. Its a great time to be a comic seller, but the drop off will be coming later this year I think.

As always sir...

giphy.gif

On 2/20/2021 at 2:00 AM, littledoom said:

Saw a $250 raw sale for West Coast Avengers 94. Don’t know how legitimate that was. It’s definitely in the $30 range now. I remember seeing it days ago paired w Iron Man 282 lots..which are increasing. So is 118. That used to be a stale $15-30 sale if lucky enough. Now $45-50+. Is 169 & 170 the next big War Machine/“Amor Wars” books to heat up? 

That seems silly when 118, as you've noted, has been a sub-$50 book for a long time and I assume 170 was (and is) too (maybe not for long). But I guess those late issues in Avengers WC are not out there in huge numbers (although I have a bunch of the last issue, I am sure I don't have 94..bummer). I feel like I have not sold my 118s because I just didn't think what they were fetching made sense for a character that has been in all these movies and is a decent cog in the Marvel Universe. I know he is more of a supporting role, but still. (Hey, these things don't always make sense. The 1st appearance of Maria Hill is maybe worth $5...a character that has appeared in the comics like 500 times, TV shows, movies, etc., and 1st Samuel L. Jackson Clone Nick Fury isn't much better and Phil Coulston somewhere in between (although as he first appeared in movies maybe it makes sense)

21 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The market is funny. Rhodes first wears the War Machine armor in Iron Man 284, but still uses the name Iron Man. Yet WCA 94 is considered the more important (based on sales results). But looking at X-Factor, Warren Worthington first takes on the name Archangel in X-Factor 38 which barely sells for more than the surrounding issues, but it's the earlier issue that introduces the look that's the key.

The War Machine armor is called "War Machine" in 282, this naming nuance on a cover does not seem to make a lot of sense to me if he is wearing it in 284. I've always picked up 284 when I saw it cheap. Figured it was overlooked.