• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2021 at 7:39 AM, Michael Browning said:

The Tony Salmons original art for basic character pages of Dakota North - without her on them - have sold for upwards of $500 each. That art is not considered bad at all and it’s in very high demand because the series is now a cult classic and there’s a rabid fan base for her original series (thankfully, I’m not part of that group). I’ve been shocked at how little comic art Salmons drew and it wasn’t like he drew long runs of anything like Miller drawing Daredevil or Simonson on Thor, but Salmon pages sell really high.

OK, the rabid fan base presumably already owns all the copies of the comic they will ever need because sales don't seem to reflect much rabitity. I pick up the first issue (which is presumably the most common, but I figure will be the one to pop if she ever appears anywhere) in the dollar box when I see it "just in case," but I don't see a lot of future in that one for some reason, mainly that her title only had 5 issues and she appeared a few more times elsewhere. If/when Marvel likes to do a show, they usually like to have a decent amount of source material to draw from and while they have certainly done obscure, she is really obscure. As for his art, its fine, I don't think it is "the worst," kind of like a less interesting Walt Simonson. On the other hand, as a peripheral character in a show, maybe, but Marvel already has a private investigator and she is hot and super human (please bring back Jessica Jones... just not what I saw in season 3...)

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

That seems silly when 118, as you've noted, has been a sub-$50 book for a long time and I assume 170 was (and is) too (maybe not for long). But I guess those late issues in Avengers WC are not out there in huge numbers (although I have a bunch of the last issue, I am sure I don't have 94..bummer). I feel like I have not sold my 118s because I just didn't think what they were fetching made sense for a character that has been in all these movies and is a decent cog in the Marvel Universe. I know he is more of a supporting role, but still. (Hey, these things don't always make sense. The 1st appearance of Maria Hill is maybe worth $5...a character that has appeared in the comics like 500 times, TV shows, movies, etc., and 1st Samuel L. Jackson Clone Nick Fury isn't much better and Phil Coulston somewhere in between (although as he first appeared in movies maybe it makes sense)

Hopefully Great Lakes Avengers catches on 

4 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I have carefully avoided reading any comic that has them in them. Are they supposed to be Chicago or Toronto or even more obscure, like Buffalo or Cleveland or Detroit? Or Duluth?

23 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Finished my last shops/dealers I buy from in the winter. Interesting viewpoints I got on the market the last month. 

Many dealers have run out of what they call good inventory. (I disagree because I still bought tons from them, but
I digress.)

They explained to me that Covid money as wiped them out of key books and they are struggling to find books to
replace them. I heard this at 4 different shops or dealers over the past month. The rest either wouldn't tell me or
the owner wasn't there at the time or didn't care to talk to me. Some are purposely overpricing some books in an
effort to be both greedy and keep some inventory in my opinion. (Seems odd I know.)

Wandavision is driving alot of sales I have sold a couple Mighty Avengers 1 and the store variant for $15-20 and $55ish
Avengers Unplugged, ASM Annual 16 Avenger 227 and several West Coast Avengers books are moving well as well
as Avengers 185-187.

Dept of Truth is about to completely catch on fire and rightly so. Anyone who has read it has to admit its was going to 
be a hit. I will sell a couple to make a little profit then I will keep the rest. I bought every cheap copy I could find the last
few months and sold several in my sales thread last month. 

ASM 55 still going strong at $30 to $40 a copy. And yes there will be a 4th and probably 5th print and I think thats
great. Haters can suck it. 

Omnibuses are really selling well for me, but I only buy them when I can get them below retail which helps my profit
margin. Even OOP trades for the right books sell well as some like Amalgam are really hard to find. Do your research
you can make good money here. 

Never ever in a million years would I thought I would see X-force 1 sell for more then a $1, but those DP cards are
selling multiple sales of $25-30 per issue. I could not bring myself to buy 2 copies today for $10 each because
I just cant bring myself to buy them for more then $1. Anyone around in the 90s knows the print run of this book.

Those early Marvel Series cards from the 90s that we all passed over and laughed at for almost 30 years are now
worth a large sum. I mean a Really large sum for boxes. 

Static issues continue to fly out the door for me from issues 25+ to 35ish. I picked up my last Platinum copy probably
this week and found a Hardware 50 and almost fainted in the shop. 

I bought 20 Spawn newsstand issues from 7 to 45 not huge money makers, but all were high grade and they will sell
fairly quickly. Shops are catching up on Spawn issues I can no longer get a Spawn 75-200 for under $5 now.

Now I leave you with a couple of thoughts. If dealers continue to struggle for inventory this means when Covid money
hits your ebay stores they are going to sell out like a fat kid likes cake. So be prepared for an onslaught in a month or two 
like you will never see again. 

Lastly I get a lot of people on facebook crying about ebay and suggesting alternatives sites. Instagram, FB, Mecari, Auction
sites, CGC, and build your own websites. All of these are great ideas and all of them have their place in the selling market. I
personally buy from everyone one of those sites and many more.

Now when it comes to selling I choose to sell on ebay and CGC for reasons that benefit me. I have a built in buyer base for
years of being on both sites. I think auction sites are great for high end books.  I think Instagram has a rabid audience for
comics, but they are limited by sellers trying to avoid taxes by trying to insist on F/F payments.(Which voids your buyer protection
if you dont know that.)

Anyone who tells you cant sell on CGC is lying. I just had a sales thread with right at 50 buyers. It takes time, persistance
and patience. Learning to grade helps too. 

Facebook has the largest potential buying pool, but is hampered, but its lack of professional salesmanship, grading and poor
packing. In a couple of years I can see  Facebook as a good alternative to ebay its just not quite there yet. 
Don't even get me started on Amazon I have very little good to say about sellers there for comics.  Mercari has very little
traffic comparable fees to ebay and asked the same prices. 

These were just some of the discussion points I have had with other dealers the last few weeks/month when I got to go out 
and dig thru back issues while talking in their stores or flea markets. Others will have different experiences and if it works
for you that's great. Its a great time to be a comic seller, but the drop off will be coming later this year I think.

How is the economy in your area? I think that has a lot to do with the availability of material. It was bad here in Alberta prior to COVID due to the two year downturn in the oil and gas sector. Then when COVID hit and there was a shutdown, that led to more layoffs. As a result, stores were buying collections from last summer to Christmas on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. One store owner landed what he called a once in a lifetime collection - mid to high grade late 40s through mid 50s books, and then basically unread SA and BA books from 1964 until the late 70s (unfortunately, the collection's owner took a small break from buying books when he went to university and first started a career that cost him the early SA Marvel keys). Another landed three nice BA and CA collections in one week in November (luckily I had first pick of one of the collections and nabbed some nice stuff for decent prices). There was a bit of a lull in January, but now a couple of stores I go to for back issues regularly are seeing collections come in the door again as the economy is still slow. The bad part is now you have to hit the stores 2-3 times per week to keep on top of things, instead of once every two weeks. 

10 hours ago, littledoom said:

FWIW, the latest Planet Money podcast from a few days ago tried to buy Doorman rights from Marvel (1st appearance Doorman, West Coast Avengers 46 same as 1st GLA appearance). The TL/DR of the podcast was that even obscure characters like Groot can become moneymakers. great macro-economics podcast, btw

On 2/20/2021 at 10:45 PM, fastballspecial said:

Finished my last shops/dealers I buy from in the winter. Interesting viewpoints I got on the market the last month. 

Many dealers have run out of what they call good inventory. (I disagree because I still bought tons from them, but
I digress.)

They explained to me that Covid money as wiped them out of key books and they are struggling to find books to
replace them. I heard this at 4 different shops or dealers over the past month. The rest either wouldn't tell me or
the owner wasn't there at the time or didn't care to talk to me. Some are purposely overpricing some books in an
effort to be both greedy and keep some inventory in my opinion. (Seems odd I know.)

Wandavision is driving alot of sales I have sold a couple Mighty Avengers 1 and the store variant for $15-20 and $55ish
Avengers Unplugged, ASM Annual 16 Avenger 227 and several West Coast Avengers books are moving well as well
as Avengers 185-187.

Dept of Truth is about to completely catch on fire and rightly so. Anyone who has read it has to admit its was going to 
be a hit. I will sell a couple to make a little profit then I will keep the rest. I bought every cheap copy I could find the last
few months and sold several in my sales thread last month. 

ASM 55 still going strong at $30 to $40 a copy. And yes there will be a 4th and probably 5th print and I think thats
great. Haters can suck it. 

Omnibuses are really selling well for me, but I only buy them when I can get them below retail which helps my profit
margin. Even OOP trades for the right books sell well as some like Amalgam are really hard to find. Do your research
you can make good money here. 

Never ever in a million years would I thought I would see X-force 1 sell for more then a $1, but those DP cards are
selling multiple sales of $25-30 per issue. I could not bring myself to buy 2 copies today for $10 each because
I just cant bring myself to buy them for more then $1. Anyone around in the 90s knows the print run of this book.

Those early Marvel Series cards from the 90s that we all passed over and laughed at for almost 30 years are now
worth a large sum. I mean a Really large sum for boxes. 

Static issues continue to fly out the door for me from issues 25+ to 35ish. I picked up my last Platinum copy probably
this week and found a Hardware 50 and almost fainted in the shop. 

I bought 20 Spawn newsstand issues from 7 to 45 not huge money makers, but all were high grade and they will sell
fairly quickly. Shops are catching up on Spawn issues I can no longer get a Spawn 75-200 for under $5 now.

Now I leave you with a couple of thoughts. If dealers continue to struggle for inventory this means when Covid money
hits your ebay stores they are going to sell out like a fat kid likes cake. So be prepared for an onslaught in a month or two 
like you will never see again. 

Lastly I get a lot of people on facebook crying about ebay and suggesting alternatives sites. Instagram, FB, Mecari, Auction
sites, CGC, and build your own websites. All of these are great ideas and all of them have their place in the selling market. I
personally buy from everyone one of those sites and many more.

Now when it comes to selling I choose to sell on ebay and CGC for reasons that benefit me. I have a built in buyer base for
years of being on both sites. I think auction sites are great for high end books.  I think Instagram has a rabid audience for
comics, but they are limited by sellers trying to avoid taxes by trying to insist on F/F payments.(Which voids your buyer protection
if you dont know that.)

Anyone who tells you cant sell on CGC is lying. I just had a sales thread with right at 50 buyers. It takes time, persistance
and patience. Learning to grade helps too. 

Facebook has the largest potential buying pool, but is hampered, but its lack of professional salesmanship, grading and poor
packing. In a couple of years I can see  Facebook as a good alternative to ebay its just not quite there yet. 
Don't even get me started on Amazon I have very little good to say about sellers there for comics.  Mercari has very little
traffic comparable fees to ebay and asked the same prices. 

These were just some of the discussion points I have had with other dealers the last few weeks/month when I got to go out 
and dig thru back issues while talking in their stores or flea markets. Others will have different experiences and if it works
for you that's great. Its a great time to be a comic seller, but the drop off will be coming later this year I think.

I appreciate your reports; you give a lot of great info. If I get lucky and find something hot, I'll report it - but you put in the hard work.

11 hours ago, kimik said:

How is the economy in your area? I think that has a lot to do with the availability of material. It was bad here in Alberta prior to COVID due to the two year downturn in the oil and gas sector. Then when COVID hit and there was a shutdown, that led to more layoffs. As a result, stores were buying collections from last summer to Christmas on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. One store owner landed what he called a once in a lifetime collection - mid to high grade late 40s through mid 50s books, and then basically unread SA and BA books from 1964 until the late 70s (unfortunately, the collection's owner took a small break from buying books when he went to university and first started a career that cost him the early SA Marvel keys). Another landed three nice BA and CA collections in one week in November (luckily I had first pick of one of the collections and nabbed some nice stuff for decent prices). There was a bit of a lull in January, but now a couple of stores I go to for back issues regularly are seeing collections come in the door again as the economy is still slow. The bad part is now you have to hit the stores 2-3 times per week to keep on top of things, instead of once every two weeks. 

We are in decent shape here. Our unemployment rate is below national average which does hurt some of our industries as they compete for employees. I have not seen the sell off locally I expected from Covid and neither has my local shops.

Although one local shop had someone bring some very nice Timely's in and he gave them a good price and they walkedaway. I think locally until Covid money goes away the local shops wont see huge collection. A dealer in another city about 40 miles from me bought a large collection (35 long boxes), but I have let to see to know how well he did. 

I would expect somewhere around the middle to late summer collections will start coming in if the job market doesn't improve and we get over Covid in general. Like I said earlier I think this summer is going to be huge for online sellers like us if the inventory doesn't keep flowing to shops. I have bought all the inventory I could the last few months. I will
spend the summer selling.

Edited by fastballspecial

58 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

X-Force Annual 2.  First appearance of Adam X, who is now revealed as another Summers brother in continuity.  Can be found in dollar boxes, and added bonus it comes polybagged with his "rookie" card.  

^^

12 hours ago, Beige said:

1641120945_IronMan282SS9.8.jpg.c887a1459bc10a965a3818cf3ceedf3d.jpg

I realize this is not a trading card thread, but with the rise in 90's Marvel cards, I was happy to have found some of these while digging through boxes of cards I never thought I would look at again. Relatedly, War Machine...

20210221_190653.jpg

14 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

X-Force Annual 2.  First appearance of Adam X, who is now revealed as another Summers brother in continuity.  Can be found in dollar boxes, and added bonus it comes polybagged with his "rookie" card.  

Yikes.  

Adam X wasn't very popular back in the day.  The Legends story w/ the "revelation" (I thought it was revealed back in the day already), was not that great.

But thanks for posting it. 

Patrick