• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

This issue was a childhood favorite and I would buy whenever I found them for $5 or less. So selling for $15 wasn’t worth it. However, $50 is a different matter and I am mentally prepared to release these 90’s gems back into the wild. Probably keep one newsstand and one direct. 

They were selling for more than $15 

i think sold most of mine for $40 and the graded ones sold for $150

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

This issue was a childhood favorite and I would buy whenever I found them for $5 or less. So selling for $15 wasn’t worth it. However, $50 is a different matter and I am mentally prepared to release these 90’s gems back into the wild. Probably keep one newsstand and one direct. 

They were selling for more than $15 

i think sold most of mine for $40 and the graded ones sold for $150

:o When was this? I remember adding a few copies to my pre-screen submission to bump it to 25 comics; back then a 9.8 was around $125.

7 minutes ago, manetteska said:

:o When was this? I remember adding a few copies to my pre-screen submission to bump it to 25 comics; back then a 9.8 was around $125.

Last year - the window was short because there are a lot of copies of this book

market got flooded

my 9.8 was one of the few at that time available 

there are a ton of copies of this book 

This is Jim Lee/X-men/Marvel at their prime 

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

However this market has doubled everything so maybe they can maintain $50

i only have one copy left 

No time to send to grade so I’ll just add CGC IT!!!! On the listing 

1 hour ago, gradejunky said:

I've been trying to buy these for years without luck...they are always missing from back issue boxes around my area.  I think I have 2 copies.

:(

People have been buying these book for years 

many for the same reasons @manetteskastated - childhood book and long term possibility they would turn up in movie 

5 is still around and bring decent bucks if you can find for $1 etc

Books like these popping to this extent really make me wonder if, perhaps, more people are collecting comics than we on the boards have assumed. Posts here seemed to assume far fewer collectors than in 1993, let's say, because print runs are way down and there are far fewer shops and generations of kids since 1993 have been less interested in the medium. But when I see something like this at $50 or whatever, X-Men 1, even Spawn 1s at $25+++, I really have to wonder if this assumption is true. (I think I sold a nice #4 here in December for $24, which probably meant I thought the ebay FMV was around $30?). Because folks who have been collecting since the 90s are unlikely to be paying this sort of $ for books as we already have them. So this is newer blood paying the big money for books that had nearly (or more than) 7 digit print runs. So yeah, all the new $ in the hobby has prevented me from buying some books I want, it has also allowed me a budget to buy period, which I'm pretty happy with. If we were stuck with 2005 levels of $10 and better books I would not be having nearly as much fun! 

On 3/9/2021 at 4:38 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

The midway with no price variant is the one to have.  Good luck finding one though.  That thing is a ghost.

2 of the Midways with the price sold for $360 and $370 raw. I can only imagine what a 9.8 graded variant would sell for.

48 minutes ago, the blob said:

Books like these popping to this extent really make me wonder if, perhaps, more people are collecting comics than we on the boards have assumed. Posts here seemed to assume far fewer collectors than in 1993, let's say, because print runs are way down and there are far fewer shops and generations of kids since 1993 have been less interested in the medium. But when I see something like this at $50 or whatever, X-Men 1, even Spawn 1s at $25+++, I really have to wonder if this assumption is true. (I think I sold a nice #4 here in December for $24, which probably meant I thought the ebay FMV was around $30?). Because folks who have been collecting since the 90s are unlikely to be paying this sort of $ for books as we already have them. So this is newer blood paying the big money for books that had nearly (or more than) 7 digit print runs. So yeah, all the new $ in the hobby has prevented me from buying some books I want, it has also allowed me a budget to buy period, which I'm pretty happy with. If we were stuck with 2005 levels of $10 and better books I would not be having nearly as much fun! 

It is far fewer than 1993, for sure, but a lot of the collectors' stock or collections from wayward 90's comic fans have been depleted in the 27-28 years since. And the importance of the book was overlooked for a long time. It used to be a nice dollar find but would you really pay $5? 10? I am thinking like 2013 on this one so don't tell me yes, lol. Around then I could get a G/VG TOD 10 for $15. The situation reminds me of what happened to the Golden Age comics: huge print runs and poor treatment. Obviously the number of extant copies of copper/moderns far outnumber the Golden Age books, but they were so common it didn't matter...then no one cared...and when they did again, the stuff that was great before had yellowed or gotten water-damaged or was purchased by people that essentially remove the books from the population. They are still not rare, but we have seen several books now that have lots of copies and are able to maintain a demand that keeps the prices up. Surely there must be (newer) people buying multiples and multiples?

"The situation reminds me of what happened to the Golden Age comics: huge print runs and poor treatment. Obviously the number of extant copies of copper/moderns far outnumber the Golden Age books, but they were so common it didn't matter...then no one cared...and when they did again, the stuff that was great before had yellowed or gotten water-damaged or was purchased by people that essentially remove the books from the population. They are still not rare, but we have seen several books now that have lots of copies and are able to maintain a demand that keeps the prices up. Surely there must be (newer) people buying multiples and multiples?"

really nothing at all like GA books. GA books got rare because they were tossed (or got pulped during WW II). kids grew up, moved out and folks didn't keep them. by the time folks started really collecting in the 70s/late 60s so much was gone. virtually nobody in the 40s and 50s viewed these as being worth anything. the same was true of a lot of things. the disney stuff was kept more, for sure, and that's why your generic duck book from the 50s can often be had for $3-4. but nobody threw out their x-men 4. it was bagged and boarded most likely. i have a bunch of copies, they are all nice. i have sold a bunch over the years too. i never went hog wild selling it because the $12-15 it went for seemed like it could be more when the timing was better.

Are 45 year old guys who have been collecting all along really going back and buying this for $50? maybe cgc 9.8s get bought at FMV.

totally unrelated story about how people just don't understand the value of stuff. a work colleague's uncle owned a very famous restaurant here in new york. it was a place a lot of famous people went, authors, etc. back when authors were celebrities. he was an avid reader and book collector. over the decades he amassed a big collection of signed first editions from the 40s - 60s from restaurant guests. he died in the 70s  and his wife cleaning things out did not think these dusty books could be worth anything literally threw them all out. in the trash. we're talking about books signed by hemingway, et al. my friend who was in his late teens was looking at the books that were getting thrown out, being an avid reader and intellectual and such, and was going to grab a few to take home. his mother screamed at him to get moving and not look at stuff in the garbage. given the provenance of these books we might be talking about a million dollars in the trash, definitely in the six figures. and the madness is that they were actually worth a decent chunk even then. but folks are ignorant. and these were wealthy people. but seriously, who throws away hardcover books anyway??

2 hours ago, AmazingComics413 said:

E811A3C0-0651-4DDD-9E27-7EBF414B38A3.thumb.jpeg.f8afc22d759795393c5367453df49de7.jpeg

Will this issue see a bump?

Here's a newsie (a little rough) for $3.49 plus shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-419-VF-Marvel-Comics-1994/154323887110?hash=item23ee6ba406:g:Gk8AAOSw-SVgIXeH

it is the first on the cover, but you know how this market is with second appearances. i wish it were different, i have sooooo many second appearances of big characters.

seriously, in a comic market that is experiencing madness, you can still find an affordable copy of this book?:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=amazing+spiderman+135&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

3 hours ago, the blob said:

"The situation reminds me of what happened to the Golden Age comics: huge print runs and poor treatment. Obviously the number of extant copies of copper/moderns far outnumber the Golden Age books, but they were so common it didn't matter...then no one cared...and when they did again, the stuff that was great before had yellowed or gotten water-damaged or was purchased by people that essentially remove the books from the population. They are still not rare, but we have seen several books now that have lots of copies and are able to maintain a demand that keeps the prices up. Surely there must be (newer) people buying multiples and multiples?"

really nothing at all like GA books. GA books got rare because they were tossed (or got pulped during WW II). kids grew up, moved out and folks didn't keep them. by the time folks started really collecting in the 70s/late 60s so much was gone. virtually nobody in the 40s and 50s viewed these as being worth anything. the same was true of a lot of things. the disney stuff was kept more, for sure, and that's why your generic duck book from the 50s can often be had for $3-4. but nobody threw out their x-men 4. it was bagged and boarded most likely. i have a bunch of copies, they are all nice. i have sold a bunch over the years too. i never went hog wild selling it because the $12-15 it went for seemed like it could be more when the timing was better.

Are 45 year old guys who have been collecting all along really going back and buying this for $50? maybe cgc 9.8s get bought at FMV.

totally unrelated story about how people just don't understand the value of stuff. a work colleague's uncle owned a very famous restaurant here in new york. it was a place a lot of famous people went, authors, etc. back when authors were celebrities. he was an avid reader and book collector. over the decades he amassed a big collection of signed first editions from the 40s - 60s from restaurant guests. he died in the 70s  and his wife cleaning things out did not think these dusty books could be worth anything literally threw them all out. in the trash. we're talking about books signed by hemingway, et al. my friend who was in his late teens was looking at the books that were getting thrown out, being an avid reader and intellectual and such, and was going to grab a few to take home. his mother screamed at him to get moving and not look at stuff in the garbage. given the provenance of these books we might be talking about a million dollars in the trash, definitely in the six figures. and the madness is that they were actually worth a decent chunk even then. but folks are ignorant. and these were wealthy people. but seriously, who throws away hardcover books anyway??

I'm talking in terms of the treatment. There was a lot going on with Golden Age and that's why the numbers are so vastly different. But 90's books were thought too big to be desirable and somehow the market is supporting them. I remember reading somewhere that anyone that wanted a Spawn 1 can have one...or ten...but that seems not to be the case anymore. While many were bagged and boarded, a lot were not. Not everyone was a collector like the people on here. I know when I bought my Spawn 9 off the newsstand, I ended up getting mint chocolate chip ice cream on it. Things happen and since they were seen as worthless for so long now, there are not as many out there as you might think. These used to be comics that every store had multiples of in dollar boxes. I used to find NM 98 that way in the early 2000's. 

Makes me think of Amazing Spider-Man 583 Obama variant. Many purchasers were not "comic people" and so those copies are not likely to stay in the same shape as those owned by boardies. I'm not saying by any means this is the SAME as Golden Age, and there are clearly many more copies of these 90's books out there, but they're no longer the drek they were and a lot of wells have run dry.

Interesting short story, I think it was 2011 or 2010 I took a mattress out to the local dump and there were five long boxes of comics already turned over like they were just thrown on the ground, comics were spilling all over the place. Being a collector that keeps everything organized, bagged and boarded, like many of us here, I freaked out just looking at that pile! Most were bagged and boarded but many were not. Yes I grabbed all of them to add to my dozens of l/s boxes of '90s as well lol. Superman, Spawn, X-Files, Venom, Spider-Man, you name it. That was during a time though where I think most true collectors thought that many of those comics would never amount to anything. Even LCS's were giving boxes away.

there hasn't been many collection (that I have purchased) in the past 6-7 years where if the majority of the comics were from the copper age, that x-men 1-25 were not part of it. Also Spider-man 1-13.

they are almost in any collection of comics purchased during that time.

47 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I'm talking in terms of the treatment. There was a lot going on with Golden Age and that's why the numbers are so vastly different. But 90's books were thought too big to be desirable and somehow the market is supporting them. I remember reading somewhere that anyone that wanted a Spawn 1 can have one...or ten...but that seems not to be the case anymore. While many were bagged and boarded, a lot were not. Not everyone was a collector like the people on here. I know when I bought my Spawn 9 off the newsstand, I ended up getting mint chocolate chip ice cream on it. Things happen and since they were seen as worthless for so long now, there are not as many out there as you might think. These used to be comics that every store had multiples of in dollar boxes. I used to find NM 98 that way in the early 2000's. 

Makes me think of Amazing Spider-Man 583 Obama variant. Many purchasers were not "comic people" and so those copies are not likely to stay in the same shape as those owned by boardies. I'm not saying by any means this is the SAME as Golden Age, and there are clearly many more copies of these 90's books out there, but they're no longer the drek they were and a lot of wells have run dry.

These enormously printed 90s comics were saved in nice condition in vast numbers. And books like Spawn 1 were bagged and boarded early because folks thought they'd be worth something. Did some people get ice cream on them? Of course. Do I have over 20 minty copies of Spawn 1 somewhere? Yup. They were $2 each in bulk on ebay in the early/mid 2000s. I bought 20 of them around the same time I made the genius move of buying 50 copies of Superman 204 at 75 cents each. Are they all 9.8s? I doubt it. I'm not saying 9.8s are "easy," but we're talking about raw "high grade" books. Honestly, I don't know what is going on. It may be more a function of the hoards simply not getting out to market. I have 20+ copies. I'm not sure I have ever listed one. I think i did here once. I have sold about 5 x-men 4s here and on ebay. I think I have 5 more. Spawn 1 and X-Men 4 were never actually garbage books that would have been abused en masse, even if you could get them in $1-2 boxes (and high grade Spawn 1s were rarely in those).

Edited by the blob

---------

My local shop sold them bagged and boarded because he jacked up the price a little on them pretty quickly and had ordered extras for sale later. It is quite possible a lot of people bought it like that as a keepsake and never actually took the book out. I really think betting on the notion that big print run moderns are rare in high grade due to assumptions about poor handling isn't reality based, particularly as we are talking about sales of raw books. Again, I am not commenting on whether anything should be hard or not in cgc 9.8, so many things impact that like cover stock, color, etc. Spawn 1 sells for $25 because it is popular even though there are zillions.