• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, the blob said:

What would you list a bulk lot of 20 9.4-9.8 spawn 1s for on ebay? $500? $750 just for sh***ts and giggles?

About 3 years ago, a seller on feebay was selling lots for a short period of time of titles like ASM 375, Venom LP 1, and Spawn 1 (He had a ton others but those are the ones I was interested in). I hated to admit it then, but I spent an average of $10-12 each for several lots. Surprisingly, and I asked for additional photos prior to buying, out of 12 I graded and sold on my feebay store, 10 were 9.8. Sold them over time and made a killin' then. Hard to find those prices now with those titles at least.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

It's funny how the market works. The 90s issues have become in demand, but the runs I always, always see in the $1 bin at every convention and store are Straczynski Spider-Man and '00s Ultimate titles. I thought they were seemingly not printed in high numbers, but absolutely nobody wants them. I have to presume it's because everyone of age already collected them new when they came out, which is why the Slott Spider-Mans for example, which many people tuned out of, are always pricier and rarer. I am convinced some of those will never ever gain value, but who knows? Maybe in ten years they'll get a nostalgia bump, and the wave will come around again. If ever Ultimate Spider-Man issues past the first couple become rare I will be convinced anything can happen.

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

there hasn't been many collection (that I have purchased) in the past 6-7 years where if the majority of the comics were from the copper age, that x-men 1-25 were not part of it. Also Spider-man 1-13.

they are almost in any collection of comics purchased during that time.

Yep; XM #4 is plentiful. Though we've all said this before, there is more than enough supply to meet demand, creating a ceiling no matter what happens/doesn't happen with Omega Red.

With that issue it's difficult to tell how many listings are actually for *that* X-Men #4, but if the number of open listings ever goes below 200 I'll be shocked.

1 hour ago, brentdevil said:

It's funny how the market works. The 90s issues have become in demand, but the runs I always, always see in the $1 bin at every convention and store are Straczynski Spider-Man and '00s Ultimate titles. I thought they were seemingly not printed in high numbers, but absolutely nobody wants them. I have to presume it's because everyone of age already collected them new when they came out, which is why the Slott Spider-Mans for example, which many people tuned out of, are always pricier and rarer. I am convinced some of those will never ever gain value, but who knows? Maybe in ten years they'll get a nostalgia bump, and the wave will come around again. If ever Ultimate Spider-Man issues past the first couple become rare I will be convinced anything can happen.

perhaps it is the lack of keys relevant to current stories or MCU outside of miles morales, 1st sam jackson nick fury, USM #1 and a few others? for the most part "1st ultimate ___" doesn't mean anything. simply reintroducing "ultimate" versions of characters doesn't seem that exciting. but yeah, i bought a lot of these after the fact. they seemed attractive and shiney and liked them at $ 1 a pop.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

but yeah, i bought a lot of these after the fact. they seemed attractive and shiney and liked them at $ 1 a pop.

Aside from Drekky McRavage, this basically sums up what I’ve done with 2099 titles. 

4 hours ago, the blob said:

Makes me think of Amazing Spider-Man 583 Obama variant. Many purchasers were not "comic people" and so those copies are not likely to stay in the same shape as those owned by boardies. I'm not saying by any means this is the SAME as Golden Age, and there are clearly many more copies of these 90's books out there, but they're no longer the drek they were and a lot of wells have run dry.

---------

My local shop sold them bagged and boarded because he jacked up the price a little on them pretty quickly and had ordered extras for sale later. It is quite possible a lot of people bought it like that as a keepsake and never actually took the book out. I really think betting on the notion that big print run moderns are rare in high grade due to assumptions about poor handling isn't reality based, particularly as we are talking about sales of raw books. Again, I am not commenting on whether anything should be hard or not in cgc 9.8, so many things impact that like cover stock, color, etc. Spawn 1 sells for $25 because it is popular even though there are zillions.

My point with this is, while some people would keep the comic in the bag and board, I'm sure there are tons that bought it and saw that as packaging, and opened it.

My point was also less about X-Men 4 or Spawn 1, although it does apply. There were lots of ________ printed that were decent at the time and still haven't been hyped yet. Some are still plentiful in shops but I am seeing a lot less selection available from books that could be the next thing, in addition to fewer available copies of books that pop. Think about something like Cap 323 or 354. Maybe it is dealer indifference to the increases but the supply isn't being drawn out in the way you would expect given the number of printed copies.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

perhaps it is the lack of keys relevant to current stories or MCU outside of miles morales, 1st sam jackson nick fury, USM #1 and a few others? for the most part "1st ultimate ___" doesn't mean anything. simply reintroducing "ultimate" versions of characters doesn't seem that exciting. but yeah, i bought a lot of these after the fact. they seemed attractive and shiney and liked them at $ 1 a pop.

I kind of naively thought the Straczynski Spider-Man's (and Morrison X-Men, early '00s titles, whatever) would one day be rare due to the lower print runs and how the paper more easily got damaged, but that doesn't seem to be the case as of yet. I think if they had known what the current craze is they would've had more "first appearances," but back then the companies and fans were worried more about the quality of stories than gimmicks. Who knows what way the pendulum will swing, if they adapt New X-Men as the next MCU movie all of those will be snapped up and suddenly "rare" instead of leftover quarter comics. But so were the 90s titles once, too.

Edited by brentdevil

46 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

I kind of naively thought the Straczynski Spider-Man's (and Morrison X-Men, early '00s titles, whatever) would one day be rare due to the lower print runs and how the paper more easily got damaged, but that doesn't seem to be the case as of yet. I think if they had known what the current craze is they would've had more "first appearances," but back then the companies and fans were worried more about the quality of stories than gimmicks. Who knows what way the pendulum will swing, if they adapt New X-Men as the next MCU movie all of those will be snapped up and suddenly "rare" instead of leftover quarter comics. But so were the 90s titles once, too.

Morrison's New X-men run feels undervalued to me, and he did introduce a lot of new characters.

1 hour ago, brentdevil said:

People were/are still so mad about the Obsorn/Gwen story.   But he also did ASM 36 (9/11 issue) and the early issues w/ Campbell were pretty nice. 

The totem explanation was kind of silly.  It was a nice try and somewhat interesting w/ how many villains were animal based. 

Patrick 

13 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Last year - the window was short because there are a lot of copies of this book

market got flooded

my 9.8 was one of the few at that time available 

there are a ton of copies of this book 

This is Jim Lee/X-men/Marvel at their prime 

Probably only 1.5 million or so. That's not much for a third-tier villain, right? hm

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Overall, yes. Some issues less so.

His run has already impacted the movies.

New X-men 128 and 129 are books I've been picking up for $1 for some time. 

128 is just up and down so much.  Seems like a little warmth right now.  Graded is definitely more consistent than raw. 

Big fan of Fantomex.  Feel like Marvel dropped the ball w/ him in the past few years.  

Always felt like he may have a similar Deadpool trajectory. 

Patrick

15 hours ago, brentdevil said:

see, you got me bidding on a slabbed USM 1 last night ... looking for a book that it is down... thought I could get a voldy 9.8 for $125...still got bid up over $200

12 hours ago, PeterPark said:

My point with this is, while some people would keep the comic in the bag and board, I'm sure there are tons that bought it and saw that as packaging, and opened it.

My point was also less about X-Men 4 or Spawn 1, although it does apply. There were lots of ________ printed that were decent at the time and still haven't been hyped yet. Some are still plentiful in shops but I am seeing a lot less selection available from books that could be the next thing, in addition to fewer available copies of books that pop. Think about something like Cap 323 or 354. Maybe it is dealer indifference to the increases but the supply isn't being drawn out in the way you would expect given the number of printed copies.

cap was kind if a second tier title and those books are 5-7 years earlier. those books may very well have gotten beaten up. and the # of copies in the direct market was not huge ... the print runs might have been big (not that big), but if 30% are newsstand returns that get destroyed (these were after mile high ii, there may have been less shenanigans) there's definitely room for perceived scarcity. also, boards were kind of a luxury item in the mid 80s, reserved for the "good" stuff, not your generic recent stuff. by the 90s they weren't. also, i don't remember anyone caring about u.s. agent, even when he had his own series. maybe for a hot minute. i'll be honest, i don't think i have them. unless they were nice shape and 50 cents, i probably wouldn't have bought them. the covers are lame. i have 324, which has an interesting cover. i may have avoided the u.s. agent books because he looked lame, kind of like hulk 271. so, basically, it is really hard to compare some mid run B list title from 1984 or whenever to some super hyped book from 1991-93. Really difference universes in terms of quantity and condition. And even if half the copies of Spawn 1 and X-Men 4 got ice cream on them, there are still plenty left. I think it is a market perceiving the value at $25+, folks willing to pay that because they regularly do for books with more scarcity, and this keeps the market going.

53 minutes ago, the blob said:

see, you got me bidding on a slabbed USM 1 last night ... looking for a book that it is down... thought I could get a voldy 9.8 for $125...still got bid up over $200

I loved USM.  In this market, imagine if the ultimate1st appearances started to catch fire.  It did at one point so a short minute in the past.  Like ultimate Venom.  1st Marvel Zombies are Ultimate (so good).  Hell, Miles is Ultimate.  

Patrick

16 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I loved USM.  In this market, imagine if the ultimate1st appearances started to catch fire.  It did at one point so a short minute in the past.  Like ultimate Venom.  1st Marvel Zombies are Ultimate (so good).  Hell, Miles is Ultimate.  

Patrick

This is why it's probably worth hanging on to the likes of USM at the moment, they don't fetch much now so barely worth selling but all it would take is one of those random shifts in the market where people turn their attention to something different/more attainable for whatever reason.

I guess the problem is that the appearance of the characters on screen have often been a bit of a blend between the 606 and the ultimate version, so the MCU doesn't necessarily drive the ultimate issues in the same way it does the regular.

If none of this works out, at least the likes of USM are a great hand-me-down for any kids or new readers you know that might want to get into comics and enjoy some great modern stories.

1 hour ago, RickSp said:

This is why it's probably worth hanging on to the likes of USM at the moment, they don't fetch much now so barely worth selling but all it would take is one of those random shifts in the market where people turn their attention to something different/more attainable for whatever reason.

I guess the problem is that the appearance of the characters on screen have often been a bit of a blend between the 606 and the ultimate version, so the MCU doesn't necessarily drive the ultimate issues in the same way it does the regular.

If none of this works out, at least the likes of USM are a great hand-me-down for any kids or new readers you know that might want to get into comics and enjoy some great modern stories.

yes, but outside of "1st ultimate" this and that, the way the market is set up, i don't know if anyone will ever care about run filler. believe me, i wish they would. i can think of two titles, walking dead and deadpool (1st regular series), where even the run filler was selling great, both were aided by relatively low print runs compares to the marvel ultimate books though. hoping invincible can get there, although i don't have that much, unfortunately. do any other titles come to mind where that happened? i guess harley's first series did to a certain extent as well as gotham sirens. if chew or fear agent get good shows that might happen. the goon has a small enough group of books it could happen, but i feel like powell just doesn't have it in him to ever get the movie or show off the ground and if he hands it over completely to someone else it will be a mess. i don't think it even happened for Black panther's (late 90s? early 2000s?) series, and that had a good combination of relatively low print runs and a discrete # of issues that could have made it possible, but appearing in a zillion different places before then did not help.