• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Sold an x men 266 9.8 for over $1100.... is there any Gambit news... why is this still hot?

Why be surprised a high grade 9.8 doesn’t sell for a premium price? That’s kinda the whole point of high grades. Sellers typically put whatever high price they want and buyers every now and then pay up for a chance to own it 

What we are seeing is a mixture I think of 4 things.

Tax Money - This will slow down soon
Covid Money - Just started. I had 3 sales in 30 min this morning
Very little large conventions for next several months
Influx of new Collectors from the Sports Card industry

Now when this stops is anyone guess. 

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

yes, but outside of "1st ultimate" this and that, the way the market is set up, i don't know if anyone will ever care about run filler. believe me, i wish they would. i can think of two titles, walking dead and deadpool (1st regular series), where even the run filler was selling great, both were aided by relatively low print runs compares to the marvel ultimate books though. hoping invincible can get there, although i don't have that much, unfortunately. do any other titles come to mind where that happened? i guess harley's first series did to a certain extent as well as gotham sirens. if chew or fear agent get good shows that might happen. the goon has a small enough group of books it could happen, but i feel like powell just doesn't have it in him to ever get the movie or show off the ground and if he hands it over completely to someone else it will be a mess. i don't think it even happened for Black panther's (late 90s? early 2000s?) series, and that had a good combination of relatively low print runs and a discrete # of issues that could have made it possible, but appearing in a zillion different places before then did not help. 

Fear Agent and Goon - 2 of my all-time favs. 

Would LOVE for either/both to see the big screen. 

Both have pretty small print runs early.  There were 3 issues of FA that were pretty hard to find, when people cared.  I still have a few as that series won't leave my kung-fu grip. 

Patrick 

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
47 minutes ago, the blob said:

you're not impressing us. where are the newsies??

14 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

its grown since last year - where is the newsstand

we are very much a like 

giphy.gif

Alas, only 4 newsstands in those piles.

It really is a 1:100 ratio, as eBay has taught us.

23 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

What we are seeing is a mixture I think of 4 things.

Tax Money - This will slow down soon
Covid Money - Just started. I had 3 sales in 30 min this morning
Very little large conventions for next several months
Influx of new Collectors from the Sports Card industry

Now when this stops is anyone guess. 

I've been thinking a lot about this lately because prices keep getting crazier, much like the housing market. I would add disposable income from not going to restaurants/bars/vacations is burning holes in pockets and inflating prices as well. Probably falls under the covid money umbrella.

I'm heading to Buckeye ComicCon in Columbus, OH this weekend for my first show in over a year and am very interested to see attendance numbers, dealer prices, etc.

1 hour ago, RickSp said:

This is why it's probably worth hanging on to the likes of USM at the moment, they don't fetch much now so barely worth selling but all it would take is one of those random shifts in the market where people turn their attention to something different/more attainable for whatever reason.

I guess the problem is that the appearance of the characters on screen have often been a bit of a blend between the 606 and the ultimate version, so the MCU doesn't necessarily drive the ultimate issues in the same way it does the regular.

If none of this works out, at least the likes of USM are a great hand-me-down for any kids or new readers you know that might want to get into comics and enjoy some great modern stories.

I don't see any reason to sell dollar box books for a dollar, except for space limitations. but if i could get $2 a pop for 5 long boxes of moderns and coppers i would, just because my comic cave is getting crowded. 

30 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Fear Agent and Goon - 2 of my all-time favs. 

Would LOVE for either/both to see the big screen. 

Both have pretty small print runs early.  There were 3 issues of FA that were pretty hard to find, when people cared.  I still have a few as that series won't leave my kung-fu grip. 

Patrick 

I don't think it matters for them, i doubt goon was over 25,000 and fear agent was probably lower, but someone here can correct me, i'm just pulling numbers from my ..... those kinds of numbers are plenty low enough if general demand spikes

13 minutes ago, kapzilla said:

I've been thinking a lot about this lately because prices keep getting crazier, much like the housing market. I would add disposable income from not going to restaurants/bars/vacations is burning holes in pockets and inflating prices as well. Probably falls under the covid money umbrella.

I'm heading to Buckeye ComicCon in Columbus, OH this weekend for my first show in over a year and am very interested to see attendance numbers, dealer prices, etc.

let us know. i always figure dealers in response to ebay wackiness are going to jack everything up... those $2 books are now going to be $5 and aslo the keys will have facebook, not ebay prices.. but then i see people posting $1-2 a pop hauls here, like there are still a lot of mistakes sitting in those boxes

Edited by the blob

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't see any reason to sell dollar box books for a dollar, except for space limitations. but if i could get $2 a pop for 5 long boxes of moderns and coppers i would, just because my comic cave is getting crowded. 

Let me know when I can come by and buy your long boxes

I'll bring lunch!

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

Let me know when I can come by and buy your long boxes

I'll bring lunch!

yeah, you're smart though, i suspect you don't want 5 long boxes of my worst books. i brag about the winners here, there are still boxes of losers. but with winners multiplying by lemmings a $300 dollar box book pays for a lot of mistakes.

15 minutes ago, kapzilla said:

I'm curious how many dollar boxes will be out, will dealers start holding them at home waiting for keys to hit or keep putting them out for bulk?

2 hours ago, RickSp said:

This is why it's probably worth hanging on to the likes of USM at the moment, they don't fetch much now so barely worth selling but all it would take is one of those random shifts in the market where people turn their attention to something different/more attainable for whatever reason.

I guess the problem is that the appearance of the characters on screen have often been a bit of a blend between the 606 and the ultimate version, so the MCU doesn't necessarily drive the ultimate issues in the same way it does the regular.

If none of this works out, at least the likes of USM are a great hand-me-down for any kids or new readers you know that might want to get into comics and enjoy some great modern stories.

probably not so "modern" then :baiting:

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Why be surprised a high grade 9.8 doesn’t sell for a premium price? That’s kinda the whole point of high grades. Sellers typically put whatever high price they want and buyers every now and then pay up for a chance to own it 

Just remember having trouble selling this for 500 a few years ago after the movie fell though....

35 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Just remember having trouble selling this for 500 a few years ago after the movie fell though....

well, we are a few more years closer to a decent gambit movie/show then .... frankly, gambit is a guy who might be more interesting in an 8-10 episode series, particularly after a less forgettable introduction in movies than he has gotten. clearly dismey believes its disney+ shows are worthy of a movie budget

1 minute ago, the blob said:

well, we are a few more years closer to a decent gambit movie/show then .... frankly, gambit is a guy who might be more interesting in an 8-10 episode series, particularly after a less forgettable introduction in movies than he has gotten. clearly dismey believes its disney+ shows are worthy of a movie budget

I certainly hope so. 

In other news, Batman Beyond 1 9.8 is picking up more again now reaching $2500.  I would anticipate it crossing $3000 by the summer.. 

Slow and steady rise before the insane comic boom of the last couple of months.... Lots guys  who grew up with Batman Beyond are reaching $$$ age.