• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

To digress again for a bit, comic store owners/managers really are a different breed. I don't think one store I've been to -- even in the same chain -- is the same as any other.

One store in my area is having a sale so I stopped by. I dug through several sticker-priced and also $1 boxes and eventually found a nice stash of Golden Age books. I bring up to the counter a pile of Golden Age, 4 $1 books, and 2 priced books (< $10 each).

While I'm counting pages and debating about spending hundreds of dollars on GA, the owner decides to look up my $1 comics and starts asking me twenty questions. He is so concerned I found a few $10 books in those boxes he calls a worker over and tells her to remember those issues b/c they are not $1 (these are recently "hot" books) in a rather upset fashion. His $1 boxes are not organized outside of publisher, and about half are bagged/boarded so no way she would ever see them again and I should be rewarded for finding them -- and knowing they are good -- but never mind.

He was so consumed by these $1 books he almost ignored the $300 books in front of him I wanted to buy.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Which Director's Cuts have been worth anything in the past? Not that they're a super common thing, but the ones I'm aware of are mostly just clogging up dollar boxes.

7 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:
7 hours ago, Corona smith said:

DC Directors Cuts....Duh!!

:idea: :tonofbricks:

I pre-coffee replied. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Just now, D2 said:

Can someone please explain to me why WOLVERINE VOLUME 2 #88 with DEADPOOL on the cover is so hot??

How on earth is a mid 90s comic at 9.8 blue label fetching $500 usd

:facepalm:

Early Deadpool appearances out of his own title have been hot for a long time now. I bought several of these back in 2012 for just this reason. Wolverine 154 and 155 are similar.

51 minutes ago, D2 said:

Can someone please explain to me why WOLVERINE VOLUME 2 #88 with DEADPOOL on the cover is so hot??

I believe it’s the first time they fight, for whatever that’s worth.

13 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

I believe it’s the first time they fight, for whatever that’s worth.

i can assume anything can happen with 9.8s, but $81 with time to go on this raw auction, and it isn't even a newsstand...?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-1988-88-NM-vs-Deadpool/233929280777?hash=item3677458d09:g:lKQAAOSwhsZgTNXV

maybe yogolak and his conspiracy theories have a point...

1 hour ago, D2 said:

outside of newsies and bizarro auctions (see above), raw copies have been hitting $30-40, so I guess anything goes on a 9.8....

4 hours ago, manetteska said:

To digress again for a bit, comic store owners/managers really are a different breed. I don't think one store I've been to -- even in the same chain -- is the same as any other.

One store in my area is having a sale so I stopped by. I dug through several sticker-priced and also $1 boxes and eventually found a nice stash of Golden Age books. I bring up to the counter a pile of Golden Age, 4 $1 books, and 2 priced books (< $10 each).

While I'm counting pages and debating about spending hundreds of dollars on GA, the owner decides to look up my $1 comics and starts asking me twenty questions. He is so concerned I found a few $10 books in those boxes he calls a worker over and tells her to remember those issues b/c they are not $1 (these are recently "hot" books) in a rather upset fashion. His $1 boxes are not organized outside of publisher, and about half are bagged/boarded so no way she would ever see them again and I should be rewarded for finding them -- and knowing they are good -- but never mind.

He was so consumed by these $1 books he almost ignored the $300 books in front of him I wanted to buy.

what ajerk

They did pretty well when Deadpool was at his height.  

All of those Wolverine/DP issues.  

Shouldn't be a $500 book, but definitely one I think many of us look for when on the hunt for cheap. 

Patrick

On 3/15/2021 at 11:36 AM, jsilverjanet said:
On 3/14/2021 at 6:58 PM, jsilverjanet said:

spawn books that have recently done well (better than before) especially graded in 9.8

119 cameo gunslinger 9.8s are done way better (full disclosure I have one for auction)

122 1st NYX who becomes she spawn last 9,8 sold for $2500 not sure how legit that sale is but I have one up now for auction so we will see where it ends up

141 1st She Spawn 

disregard that sale on 122 9.8 - i see the seller has relisted for auction and it's due to end in 3 days, mine on Sunday 

the resale of the Spawn 122 9.8 ended up at $700+ -  bidding looks legit.

let's see where mine ends up on Sunday night