• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

OK, the "little birdie" clarified that I should be looking inside the Elfquest #1 (reprint of Fantasy Quarterly #1) to see what the Pini's said about FQ #1.

elfquest1_inside_cover.thumb.jpg.170cf264850b392f32e4d4789432c75e.jpg

So, Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover, first printing) is the first issue published by the creators (Wendy and Richard Pini), and Elfquest #1 ($1.00 cover, first printing) was printed "a little over a year" after Fantasy Quarterly #1.

The creators were disappointed in the quality of the Fantasy Quarterly #1 publication, which isn't named, and the publisher of FQ #1 is the "ex-publisher" in their own words.

elfquest1_first_printing.thumb.jpg.d6efeecef3166f6d22c8586e668b395d.jpg

Edited by valiantman

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

ElfQuest #2 (1978) the first printing has a $1.00 cover price

ElfQuest #2 went to a 2nd printing ($1.25 cover) and 3rd printing ($1.50 cover)

ElfQuest #3 was next, and eventually ElfQuest #1 was created by WaRP Graphics reprinting the story from Fantasy Quarterly #1.  (All of these have $1.00 first printing, $1.25 second printing, $1.50 third printing)

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate, though I may be nitpicking.

I believe that Elfquest #2's 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings were all priced $1.25, and the $1.50 price began with the 5th printing.

Elfquest #3's pricing works the same way - that is $1.25 for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings, and $1.50 beginning with the 5th.

Elfquest #1 and #4 also follow this pattern.

I believe there are 7 printings of each.

Edited by Brock

29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

OK, the "little birdie" clarified that I should be looking inside the Elfquest #1 (reprint of Fantasy Quarterly #1) to see what the Pini's said about FQ #1.

elfquest1_inside_cover.thumb.jpg.170cf264850b392f32e4d4789432c75e.jpg

So, Elfquest #2 ($1.00 cover, first printing) is the first issue published by the creators (Wendy and Richard Pini), and Elfquest #1 ($1.00 cover, first printing) was printed "a little over a year" after Fantasy Quarterly #1.

The creators were disappointed in the quality of the Fantasy Quarterly #1 publication, which isn't named, and the publisher of FQ #1 is the "ex-publisher" in their own words.

elfquest1_first_printing.thumb.jpg.d6efeecef3166f6d22c8586e668b395d.jpg

the #1 is a pretty cover not in their usual style, but the book is pretty expensive as a reprint that came out after the first few issues came out, so they probaby printed a few

4 minutes ago, littledoom said:

The Boys 11 little nina :)

it sold for $5-$9 this morning and was at $30+ in the afternoon. WTF?

and herogasm 1 went from $40 to $90 in a few hours? glad i didn't list mine 2 weeks ago when i found it.

Edited by the blob

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

What’s the ratio on deluxe vs non deluxe ?

on eBay
as we search the bins?

ive only ever found one 

@fastballspecial you keep a good memory on books like this 

Nobody cared until now. Shops pushed them because they got better money. 

Personally I grabbed newsstands with inserts and avoided the other two. 

I love the :censored: that put "Not Deluxe" in his selling title. Thats a real winner.

Edited by fastballspecial

19 minutes ago, littledoom said:

not sure why that appeals to buyers.. theoretically a deluxe should sell for deluxe $ versus a non deluxe

expensive annuals and giant sizes don't sell for more when they heat up as collectibles. it is the psychological problem DC is going to encounter moving to $5.99. A book gets hot and hits that $20-25 theshhold. It does it whether the cover is $2.99 or $5.99. On one you've made maybe 8X your money, on the other, maybe 4X. folks are A LOT quicker to say "what the heck" to $2.99-$3.99 than $5.99 and maybe buy extras even. I bought two copies of the HUlk/Thing Ross Diner issue because I really liked it. I might not have bought any at $5.99.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

A good combination of things happened on Elfquest #2... self-publishing first issues are usually not "available everywhere" like later issues or larger publishers.  

Magazine size is less submitted to CGC, primarily because they weren't easy to store.  Grades are generally lower (again, because bags/boards didn't fit). Elfquest wasn't a big deal at first (Is anything ever a big deal when it started?  Action #1? :grin:)  Yes, the lower value is keeping copies of Elfquest #2 from being submitted to CGC, but 11 copies after 20+ years of grading is really low... even Elfquest #15 has 19 copies CGC graded.

There are more CGC graded copies of Elfquest #5 than Elfquest #2 (first printing), so it seems likely the print runs were very low at the beginning, and moved up to match demand by #5.  Three printings is usually a good indicator that demand was higher than expected (at least twice) very early, but not necessarily higher than demand for the 3rd print (same with TMNT #1 third print, which didn't need a 4th print until years later).

A "little birdie" told me to see what the Pini's said inside the cover of Elfquest #2... so here's a photo:

elfquest2_inside_cover.thumb.jpg.1b4ac11f58df91f6e9be52cb443e004d.jpg

The creators preferred the changes they made by self-publishing, and call Elfquest #2 "our first" [issue].

First printing is $1.00, all others aren't... even if the seller REALLY REALLY wishes it was. :grin:

elfquest2_first_printing.thumb.jpg.5156cc4a12bec78e91914ea7cde13b4c.jpg

nice copy. so is it your sense that after issue 5 or 6 the first prints get a bit more common? I have 2 - 7, 1st prints, no FQ #1, which I would like, but it does seem like #2 1st print may be less common, I am not sure with the psychology of this market whether the early ones past 6 or 7 would move anyway? if this ever takes off I knw FQ 1 in 9.8 will probably be the one to make real gains (and it is the only one I can find in cgc 9.8 right now), but in the interim I am loathe to spend $1K I don't have on one and there are quite a few in the census. you have sent m off on a tangent today!

39 minutes ago, the blob said:

expensive annuals and giant sizes don't sell for more when they heat up as collectibles. it is the psychological problem DC is going to encounter moving to $5.99. A book gets hot and hits that $20-25 theshhold. It does it whether the cover is $2.99 or $5.99. On one you've made maybe 8X your money, on the other, maybe 4X. folks are A LOT quicker to say "what the heck" to $2.99-$3.99 than $5.99 and maybe buy extras even. I bought two copies of the HUlk/Thing Ross Diner issue because I really liked it. I might not have bought any at $5.99.

That hesitation to buy at the higher cover price might be the thing that leads to more people looking to buy a book later, raising the price over that of a "normal" hot book.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

That hesitation to buy at the higher cover price might be the thing that leads to more people looking to buy a book later, raising the price over that of a "normal" hot book.

yeah, sure, it is going to hurt print runs. if DC can survive that then there may be some collectibles among those books. but in the interim aren't they losing a lot of folks who buy books monthly? are they really going to be able to do this at 15k print runs?

i understand, DC has had premium priced deluxe books for a while and they sold like the DC black label stuff and the recent joker thing, but those are "events".. i'm not sure they can make superman an "event" every month

Edited by the blob