• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, littledoom said:

It was a longtime scoffed at $5-10 comic that many gave little to no thoughts about. I have a hard time putting my copy in Mylar but it’s hard to not w current raw prices. 

I'd be selling it, like I'm going to sell Wolverine 88

1 hour ago, the blob said:

That one has doubled or tripled for raws in like a month. Do they think they are going to make a Power Rangers movie that someone over 8 will be able to watch?

I had 5 copies. One sat for a week and then I couldn't keep them in stock. Given the current market trends, it may have something to do with the White Ranger card inside

8 hours ago, the blob said:

Auctions are feast or famine. Mostly famine.

6 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

Nottingham #1 from Mad Cave is smoking. 2nd printing is forth coming. Never saw it on any shelves on NCBD.(shrug)

I don't think either of my shops did. I forgot to pre-order, so I missed the boat on the first print. I Pre-ordered a few 2nd prints and added to my pull at my LCS. I have a feeling others did as well, so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Just now, awakeintheashes said:

I don't think either of my shops did. I forgot to pre-order, so I missed the boat on the first print. I Pre-ordered a few 2nd prints and added to my pull at my LCS. I have a feeling others did as well, so I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Same scenario. I was waiting to pre-order issue #2 but I didn't see it on the FOC. I was told by my LCS owner that Mad Cave doesn't participate in the Final Order Cutoff that's why I didn't see it. Now it's on my pull list also.

27 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Auctions are feast or famine. Mostly famine.

I get it, it isn't an issue that is popping this minute. I am on the fence with some of the captain americas I have on deck. A few are obviously directly impacted by the show, but some of the Cap/Falcon books are more of general interest. I don't know if they're better as auctions or store items. I get all these auctions every month I feel like i should use them. Occasiobally a hot book gets bid up beyond what i would have priced it at or accepted an offer early on, like when i sold all my Eternal 1s.

On 3/26/2021 at 3:32 PM, Brock said:

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate, though I may be nitpicking.

I believe that Elfquest #2's 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings were all priced $1.25, and the $1.50 price began with the 5th printing.

Elfquest #3's pricing works the same way - that is $1.25 for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th printings, and $1.50 beginning with the 5th.

Elfquest #1 and #4 also follow this pattern.

I believe there are 7 printings of each.

Did CGC mislabel this one?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-2-ELFQUEST-1-WARP-GRAPHICS-1979-WENDY-RICHARD-PINI-3RD-PRINTING/274737366470

They have a $1.50 cover price as a 3rd printing.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Did CGC mislabel this one?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-9-2-ELFQUEST-1-WARP-GRAPHICS-1979-WENDY-RICHARD-PINI-3RD-PRINTING/274737366470

It seems likely... The Grand Comics Database is fuzzy on this one, and lists everything as "later printings", as is mycomicshop.com, which lists only "Reprints" generically, stating they will have either a $1.25 or a $1.50 cover.

However, comicspriceguide.com has more detailed lists and photos (though these are only the covers, and not the indicia) suggesting 7 printings of each issue, with some clues for identifying them, and with the suggestion that the $1.50 cover price appears with the 5th print.

I have some $1.50 copies of #1, #2 and #3 currently listed on eBay, where I've identified them as 7th prints. In looking at the indicia, there is no printing notation - it seems to be copied from printing to printing without much change. When the price jumped from $1.00 to $1.25, it looks like someone changed the price per issue and the annual subscription costs by hand in the indicia with a pen. When the price jumped to $1.50, they didn't bother to update it again.

To me, this is all consistent with the Pinis running WaRP Graphics from their apartment...  I could be wrong, but it seems to me that when something sold out, they just printed it again, with limited documentation around subsequent print history.

Who knew that 40 years later, this approach could be turned into a business model for Bad Idea...

Edited by Brock

31 minutes ago, Brock said:

It seems likely... The Grand Comics Database is fuzzy on this one, and lists everything as "later printings", as is mycomicshop.com, which lists only "Reprints" generically, stating they will have either a $1.25 or a $1.50 cover.

However, comicspriceguide.com has more detailed lists and photos (though these are only the covers, and not the indicia) suggesting 7 printings of each issue, with some clues for identifying them, and with the suggestion that the $1.50 cover price appears with the 5th print.

I have some $1.50 copies of #1, #2 and #3 currently listed on eBay, where I've identified them as 7th prints. In looking at the indicia, there is no printing notation - it seems to be copied from printing to printing without much change. When the price jumped from $1.00 to $1.25, it looks like someone changed the price per issue and the annual subscription costs by hand in the indicia with a pen. When the price jumped to $1.50, they didn't bother to update it again.

To me, this is all consistent with the Pinis running WaRP Graphics from their apartment...  I could be wrong, but it seems to me that when something sold out, they just printed it again, with limited documentation around subsequent print history.

Who knew that 40 years later, this approach could be turned into a business model for Bad Idea...

Thanks for the details.  Without clear notations, it seems "fair" to say that first printings are $1.00 cover prices, that later printing(s) have a "reprint cover price" at $1.25 and a "additional reprint cover price" at $1.50.

Even more fun, to me, is the most popular graphic novel of all time... Watchmen trade paperback with all 12-in-one... which seems to be up to about the 40th reprint by now, and somehow people haven't really started collecting 1st prints yet.

Talk about undervalued (and under-appreciated). :cloud9:

Thanks for the details.  Without clear notations, it seems "fair" to say that first printings are $1.00 cover prices, that later printing(s) have a "reprint cover price" at $1.25 and a "additional reprint cover price" at $1.50.

Even more fun, to me, is the most popular graphic novel of all time... Watchmen trade paperback with all 12-in-one... which seems to be up to about the 40th reprint by now, and somehow people haven't really started collecting 1st prints yet.

Talk about undervalued (and under-appreciated). :cloud9:

I'm pretty sure my copy is a first print. I never owned all of the individual issues, so this is how I've read the series several times now, so it's got some wear.