• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I'm pretty sure my copy is a first print. I never owned all of the individual issues, so this is how I've read the series several times now, so it's got some wear.

First prints of Watchmen trade paperback have a $14.95 US price.  I believe 2nd prints do also.  If the price is higher than $14.95, it's 3rd or later.

If I'm not mistaken though, I think there may be a first print with the DC bullet in place of the Warner Books logo on the front cover. I sorta remember seeing 2 versions of this when I got mine. I think I got mine in a discount store that also carried some comics.

Apparently, yes. There are 2 different first printings, depending on whether you're looking for the DC version or the Warner version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WATCHMEN-by-Alan-Moore-and-Dave-Gibbons-1987-1st-First-Printing-Paperback/164732831238?epid=226534&hash=item265ad78606:g:V0EAAOSwJSlfZhlD

If I'm not mistaken though, I think there may be a first print with the DC bullet in place of the Warner Books logo on the front cover. I sorta remember seeing 2 versions of this when I got mine. I think I got mine in a discount store that also carried some comics.

The first printings have the "clock" on the bottom left.  There are later printings (lots of them) where the clock is moved to the top left and the bottom left has DC logo(s).  There are also 1st prints with the "cityscape" cover, but the clock is also on the bottom left. Anything else is a later printing, even if they didn't specify it inside. Lots of eBay sellers claim to have first printings, but then the back cover has dccomics.com printed on it, as if DC had a website in 1987.  lol

You made the right choice. 

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

The first printings have the "clock" on the bottom left.  There are later printings (lots of them) where the clock is moved to the top left and the bottom left has DC logo(s).  There are also 1st prints with the "cityscape" cover, but the clock is also on the bottom left. Anything else is a later printing, even if they didn't specify it inside. Lots of eBay sellers claim to have first printings, but then the back cover has dccomics.com printed on it, as if DC had a website in 1987.  lol

Here's what I find interesting: the Warner Books version has a first printing indicated as November, 1987. The DC Comics version doesn't indicate a print date. One of them may have been printed first, but which that might be, who can say?

21 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yeah, but A) he didn't write the books, and B) he needed a fill-in artist for #8, cuz he can't stick to deadlines, so it's in his financial interest to get the signing fees for #11.

lol wow..... just wow

Do people still want his signature?

9 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Here's what I find interesting: the Warner Books version has a first printing indicated as November, 1987. The DC Comics version doesn't indicate a print date. One of them may have been printed first, but which that might be, who can say?

The DC Comics version doesn't have a barcode, but the Warner Books version does... and it's a direct edition barcode.  Strange that there isn't a barcode on the DC Comics version if it was supposed to be for the newsstand.

The Warner Books version has quotes from reviewers/critics on the back, but the DC Comics version doesn't.  Possibly another clue that DC Comics (skyline cover) came first?  No barcode, no reviewer quotes?

Edited by valiantman

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The DC Comics version doesn't have a barcode, but the Warner Books version does... and it's a direct edition barcode.  Strange that there isn't a barcode on the DC Comics version if it was supposed to be for the newsstand.

The Warner Books version has quotes from reviewers/critics on the back, but the DC Comics version doesn't.  Possibly another clue that DC Comics (skyline cover) came first?  No barcode, no reviewer quotes?

It looks like a barcode that they use for Direct Edition *comics*, but maybe not for books. There are a number of prestige format books that went to the newsstand with a direct edition-looking barcode. Maybe the DC version was direct and the Warner version was for newsstand/bookstores? Having quotes for the bookstore version makes sense, because your casual reader may not be familiar with it; they wouldn't be necessary on an edition sent only to comic shops.

Just now, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
21 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It looks like a barcode that they use for Direct Edition *comics*, but maybe not for books. There are a number of prestige format books that went to the newsstand with a direct edition-looking barcode. Maybe the DC version was direct and the Warner version was for newsstand/bookstores? Having quotes for the bookstore version makes sense, because your casual reader may not be familiar with it; they wouldn't be necessary on an edition sent only to comic shops.

Yep, I'm leaning towards thinking they're both 1st printings (as the print line indicates), just intended for separate markets.

55 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yeah, but A) he didn't write the books, and B) he needed a fill-in artist for #8, cuz he can't stick to deadlines, so it's in his financial interest to get the signing fees for #11.

huh? he did the cover to 8 and 11 and did some of the pencils in 8 at least? He has an incentive to pump both books, given that 11 has deadpool on the cover you'd think that in itself would help him sell sigs

yeah, the whole thing perplexes me, because #8 is most clearly not the fake Domino, right? It is the real one in a flashback and she is on the cover, and I think she is in enough of the book that it isn't really a cameo? it's the whole gambit thing again, except at least gambit is not on the cover and barely has a role in the x-men annual

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

huh? he did the cover to 8 and 11 and did some of the pencils in 8 at least? He has an incentive to pump both books, given that 11 has deadpool on the cover you'd think that in itself would help him sell sigs

yeah, the whole thing perplexes me, because #8 is most clearly not the fake Domino, right? It is the real one in a flashback and she is on the cover, and I think she is in enough of the book that it isn't really a cameo? it's the whole gambit thing again, except at least gambit is not on the cover and barely has a role in the x-men annual

The problem, I think, is that when #11 came came out, one would think, "Oh! So this is first time we're seeing the real Domino!" But you only realize that that's not the case when you re-examine the series up to that point.