• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, the blob said:

I am shocked that the second appearance of stiltman has not exploded.

I’m not. Sure it’s a Silver Age book but it’s Stiltman. A character with long extendable legs. I don’t think there’s a lot of fans of people with long legs. Well except basketball fans and groupies. 

8 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

I’m not. Sure it’s a Silver Age book but it’s Stiltman. A character with long extendable legs. I don’t think there’s a lot of fans of people with long legs. Well except basketball fans and groupies. 

Inspector Gadget

11 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Most of the top 10 hottest books right now, Ive had/sold within past couple years. You name it, I probably had it. Stings now just because of the hot market. In the end, no one's fault but my own. I know others are in the same boat. Better a hot market than not I guess.

If you made profit, don't regret.  You never know what could happen.  One of my friends just had his  basement flooded from a water pipe burst and lost a box of keys from water damage

Edited by Wolverinex

21 hours ago, kimik said:

It depends. I have done well with either approach on Spawns in the past. For the top issues, you can get crazy prices with auctions that exceed BIN/Fixed Price expectations.

I feel like auctions have rebounded a bit, in this new age of wild speculation, and influx of new buyers. I also think it very much depends on what you're selling.

For individual books, like single flavor of the day issues that have recently popped, I still think BIN with BO is the way to go. But if you have a collection of things you'll be selling individually, and they've got some heat, and you maybe aren't certain where the market is, auctions can work. For instance, in February I put up a large collection of Star Wars stuff, and a nice chunk of Thor God of Thunder books. With the SW books, I didn't have much money in them, and more importantly, there were a couple dozen newsstand variants which had no sales data to compare to, so I genuinely had no idea how to price them. The Thor books I had a little more money in, but nothing crazy, so I rolled the dice and listed them at the same time.

The Thor books sorta got to where they were going by the day before the auction ended, and didn't move again. I wasn't thrilled by the results, but I didn't lose money either, so that was fine. But I probably would have made more with those books had I set them up as BIN

But the Star Wars books absolutely EXPLODED in the final seconds, and went WAAAAY beyond where I would have priced them at, had I taken a stab at BIN pricing. I would have left several hundred dollars on the table. So I'm glad I went the auction route.

Auctions CAN generate a lot of excitement, competition, and thrill bidding, and that can be really good news for the seller. But I wouldn't use it unless I was pretty sure that I was selling stuff that would get people excited. As always, it's a gamble. But gambling can be fun.

Edited by F For Fake

17 hours ago, littledoom said:

It’s also about what you’re comfortable with. Sometimes being firm on a fixed price might sit for months to squeeze $5. They’ll sell more then the auction prices 80% of the time. But then there’s that one auction result that ends well beyond what that fixed price might’ve been 

Yes and many times they never get paid. Buyer's remorse. Auctions are full of pitfalls
, but can yield fantastic results when you get paid. 

What I absolutely hate is the weird activity that auctions bring out like the buyers
that are looking to see how high the next buyer is then retracts their offers. Obvious
shilled auctions that drive up prices and such. 

I know others here that do large amounts of them, but I prefer smaller amounts on 
hot books only. I like my 100% FB and large amounts of auctions put that in 
jeopardy. Just my two cents.

Lately I have seen some sellers just do auctions with higher prices I guess to 
kinda curtail fees and that seems to be working with them. 

12 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I'm seeing action on a few of the late Journey Into Mystery issues:

622: first Ikol

624: first Leah

632: first Thori

Those are all books connected to Kid Loki right?  Kid Loki doesn't have a show coming.  Were those roles cast for the Loki show?

7 hours ago, Corona smith said:

Stiltman is a terrifying villian. One of the best. You don't know what you're talking about. Right up there with Leap-Frog.

https://www.cbr.com/daredevil-marvel-comics-pathetic-villains-ranked/

(I am actually going to disagree with Gladiator. On the Netflix show they actually made him into a pretty rough character. DD would beat him, but it wasn't easy. And they gave him a sympathetic side.)

38 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes and many times they never get paid. Buyer's remorse. Auctions are full of pitfalls
, but can yield fantastic results when you get paid. 

What I absolutely hate is the weird activity that auctions bring out like the buyers
that are looking to see how high the next buyer is then retracts their offers. Obvious
shilled auctions that drive up prices and such. 

I know others here that do large amounts of them, but I prefer smaller amounts on 
hot books only. I like my 100% FB and large amounts of auctions put that in 
jeopardy. Just my two cents.

Lately I have seen some sellers just do auctions with higher prices I guess to 
kinda curtail fees and that seems to be working with them. 

“Require immediate payment” with BINs

12 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I'm seeing action on a few of the late Journey Into Mystery issues:

622: first Ikol

624: first Leah

632: first Thori

Really thought the Lady Sif JIMs would see some action.  

Great covers.  

I bought some on a trip in August.  Ended up leaving them in a hotel.  DOH, ahahhahahah. 

Patrick 

45 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I think to accurately compare them though you would have to put him in the Marvel universe.

Maybe, but they both have enough indie series too though. Cates has definitely cooled off over past couple years (in Indies and Marvel) and Tynion has gotten hot (in Indies and DC).

9 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Maybe, but they both have enough indie series too though. Cates has definitely cooled off over past couple years (in Indies and Marvel) and Tynion has gotten hot (in Indies and DC).

I haven't read the Eighth Seal but I have to be honest, Something is Killing the Children has gotten worse with each issue.

Just now, MrWeen said:

I haven't read the Eighth Seal but I have to be honest, Something is Killing the Children has gotten worse with each issue.

Im only on issue 3 of Somethings Killing the Children so I dont know. haha. I dont actually read either of their Marvel/DC series. I loved God Country and loved Redneck (first 12 or so books). I hated Babyteeth and Department of Truth is on my reading list. My comments are definitely going by who is hot from buzz right now vs who is a better writer. I havent read enough of Tynion yet to gauge that.

So, despite the Invincible cartoon creating a lot of buzz (a lot of my geriatric high school friends on facebook are loving it...doctors, lawyers, etc.), I'm not seeing that pass to your run filler back issues like for Walking Dead. I guess Walking Dead was a cultural phenom, Invincible is popular, but like The Boys, we're not seeing filler issues of the Boys doing anything either and the same group of affluent friends was watching that too. (Oh, and every african american woman I know (and i know a lot via facebook) was watching Watchmen.... did they ever try to push that version as a graphic novel or something?). So, we're talking cover price or less. I see some ebay sellers hoping for the best an listing these filler issues for $15 right next to $3 listings for the same books.

59 minutes ago, the blob said:

So, despite the Invincible cartoon creating a lot of buzz (a lot of my geriatric high school friends on facebook are loving it...doctors, lawyers, etc.), I'm not seeing that pass to your run filler back issues like for Walking Dead. I guess Walking Dead was a cultural phenom, Invincible is popular, but like The Boys, we're not seeing filler issues of the Boys doing anything either and the same group of affluent friends was watching that too. (Oh, and every african american woman I know (and i know a lot via facebook) was watching Watchmen.... did they ever try to push that version as a graphic novel or something?). So, we're talking cover price or less. I see some ebay sellers hoping for the best an listing these filler issues for $15 right next to $3 listings for the same books.

With Walking Dead, it took a while for all boats to rise. My recollection is the introduction of Michonne that drove the back issue market crazy; that book ballooned to like $300 raw and it seemed like every issue in the first 70 or so was suddenly at least a $15 dollar book. After that, show introductions dominated issues that popped, like the introduction of Abraham, Eugene and Rosita making 53 a big deal, and then the first Jesus, etc.