• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Barely anybody cared about Spawn for so many years. Why now? (shrug)

Spawn was a top 10 book for almost 2 decades. It outsold X-Men the same month the X-Men movie debuted with the 6th highest opening weekend (at the time) in 2000. Some moved away from the book when Al was replaced by Jim Downing (after endgame storyline), others dropped off at a milestone issue like 100 or 200. By the 240s the book was down to about 12k copies. Then 250 came around and saw a bump, add to that the movie -script talk, Blumhouse hype, Spawn Resurrection #1 which brings back Al Simmons, damn near effed the book up in the early 260s with some rushed Larsen pencils ... But it really was the way he built toward 300 and Stan Lee'd the whole process that has refreshed the title ... 

296-297 offer a recap of Spawn history and a good jumping off pint for new readers. 

298-299 homage homage 

300-301 covers covers homage homage. Todd says he envisions Spawn for another 300 issues

Pandemic - Todd says publishers must act so he decides to break Kickstarter records for an action figure reboot and begins free over shipments to retailers as returnable 

And now it seems like every month it's cover appearance of new character followed an issue or two later with actual app of new character. Thankfully he's backed off the 1:50 incentive variants for the time being. 

46 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Spawn was a top 10 book for almost 2 decades. It outsold X-Men the same month the X-Men movie debuted with the 6th highest opening weekend (at the time) in 2000. Some moved away from the book when Al was replaced by Jim Downing (after endgame storyline), others dropped off at a milestone issue like 100 or 200. By the 240s the book was down to about 12k copies. Then 250 came around and saw a bump, add to that the movie --script talk, Blumhouse hype, Spawn Resurrection #1 which brings back Al Simmons, damn near effed the book up in the early 260s with some rushed Larsen pencils ... But it really was the way he built toward 300 and Stan Lee'd the whole process that has refreshed the title ... 

296-297 offer a recap of Spawn history and a good jumping off pint for new readers. 

298-299 homage homage 

300-301 covers covers homage homage. Todd says he envisions Spawn for another 300 issues

Pandemic - Todd says publishers must act so he decides to break Kickstarter records for an action figure reboot and begins free over shipments to retailers as returnable 

And now it seems like every month it's cover appearance of new character followed an issue or two later with actual app of new character. Thankfully he's backed off the 1:50 incentive variants for the time being. 

100%. You can't really overstate just how popular Spawn was in its heyday. That was a monster book. Then the toys, the movie, the tv show, Spawn was a big property. That sort of interest doesn't just go away entirely. It may lay dormant for a while, but eventually the rule of 25/30 kicks in, and people remember "Hey, I used to really love Spawn!" and decide to start looking for the stuff again, only to find there aren't many of those "lean years" issues to go around. 

I'm not a big McFarlane guy, but I admire how he stuck with his creation, saw it through the choppy waters, and is once again reaping the benefits. 

15 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Short term profit, reboot, reboot, reboot.  Long term profit, continuously publish a comic with quality story and art.  

My guess is that Image could come out with second printings of these "lost years" issues and probably sell more than the first time around. the 1st prints are so expensive it would make sense. I can't think of any title from the last 30 years where such a long run of books from is double digit $, they start in the 80s and go into like the 270s, virtually nothing under $10.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

100%. You can't really overstate just how popular Spawn was in its heyday. That was a monster book. Then the toys, the movie, the tv show, Spawn was a big property. That sort of interest doesn't just go away entirely. It may lay dormant for a while, but eventually the rule of 25/30 kicks in, and people remember "Hey, I used to really love Spawn!" and decide to start looking for the stuff again, only to find there aren't many of those "lean years" issues to go around. 

I'm not a big McFarlane guy, but I admire how he stuck with his creation, saw it through the choppy waters, and is once again reaping the benefits. 

he had his toy company, but i don't think he had the mental distractions like kirkman who saw a lot more $ working on his TV shows than writing comics to sell 30-40,000 copies of. in some article circa 2018 he claimed he made more money from the comics than the TV show, but that likely included the TPBs, which may generate more $ than floppies. i am guessing he got a better deal with the invincible show than WD?

1 hour ago, the blob said:

he had his toy company, but i don't think he had the mental distractions like kirkman who saw a lot more $ working on his TV shows than writing comics to sell 30-40,000 copies of. in some article circa 2018 he claimed he made more money from the comics than the TV show, but that likely included the TPBs, which may generate more $ than floppies. i am guessing he got a better deal with the invincible show than WD?

One assumes that Kirkman really cleaned up when TWD was at its height. As you note, I'm sure that includes trades, and there was a time when it seemed like every mainstream bookstore I went to had an endcap with TWD compendiums, trades, etc. The books were everywhere. I'm not sure what his deal is with Image, but I'm sure he did very well.

I have no insight as to the ins and outs of tv negotiations, but one assumes that he got a much better deal with Amazon, if just because AMC is notoriously cheap and stingy, and Amazon seems willing to spend a lot on their programming. And by the time the deal for Invincible came along, Kirkman was already the famous creator/producer of one of the last true pop culture phenomena with TWD. Have to think he did pretty well upfront.

6 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Spawn was a top 10 book for almost 2 decades. It outsold X-Men the same month the X-Men movie debuted with the 6th highest opening weekend (at the time) in 2000. Some moved away from the book when Al was replaced by Jim Downing (after endgame storyline), others dropped off at a milestone issue like 100 or 200. By the 240s the book was down to about 12k copies. Then 250 came around and saw a bump, add to that the movie --script talk, Blumhouse hype, Spawn Resurrection #1 which brings back Al Simmons, damn near effed the book up in the early 260s with some rushed Larsen pencils ... But it really was the way he built toward 300 and Stan Lee'd the whole process that has refreshed the title ... 

298-299 homage homage 

I sure dislike those Larsen issues.  

Just didn't fit in the series at all.  Made it worse that I was enjoying the reboot up to that point.   

But I was quite pleased w/ Alexander's run on the book after.  

Patrick

Everyone pretty much has the same deal with Image. Image is a different type of publisher--they are more of a packager. So Image didn't make much more on WD than any other book--just their normal fee for getting it through publication and distribution. Kirkman made out huge.

This how you know we are living in the world where any dope can make money from selling comics.  This finally is profitable.  I guess I should stop using MINT copies of this book for packing material.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adventures-of-Superman-500-CGC-9-8-1st-App-of-Steel-and-Superboy/254904108224?hash=item3b597804c0%3Ag%3AxAgAAOSwJWFgT8jI&LH_Auction=1

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

This how you know we are living in the world where any dope can make money from selling comics.  This finally is profitable.  I guess I should stop using MINT copies of this book for packing material.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adventures-of-Superman-500-CGC-9-8-1st-App-of-Steel-and-Superboy/254904108224?hash=item3b597804c0%3Ag%3AxAgAAOSwJWFgT8jI&LH_Auction=1

I couldn't even get myself to buy copies for 66 cents each at my shop when he'd put 30 in the boxes. oh well.

11 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

THAT IS NOT TRUE.

THIS IS THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF STEEL.

STEEL IS THE FIRST BLACK SUPERMAN.

DC IS MAKING A BLACK SUPERMAN MOVIE.

THIS NEW MOVIE COULD BRING SHAQ BACK AND EVEN GIVE RAY J THE CAPE. THIS IS 2021. SURE I HAVE SAID IT ONE HUNDRED TIMES BUT TODAY IS THE TIME.

THIS IS THE TIME OF STEEL.

So you're telling me I shouldn't have let that platinum go for $75 a few months ago? Of course.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

THAT IS NOT TRUE.

THIS IS THE FIRST APPEARANCE OF STEEL.

STEEL IS THE FIRST BLACK SUPERMAN.

DC IS MAKING A BLACK SUPERMAN MOVIE.

THIS NEW MOVIE COULD BRING SHAQ BACK AND EVEN GIVE RAY J THE CAPE. THIS IS 2021. SURE I HAVE SAID IT ONE HUNDRED TIMES BUT TODAY IS THE TIME.

THIS IS THE TIME OF STEEL.

I am assuming you are joking.....

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Nope. Steel is black superman. Ray J played Steel's nephew. Ray J hit it first. ect.

This book was the catalyst that started the comic book industry downward and almost out of business spiral during the 90's. All the characters you mentioned are D-Level trash.  I would be embarrassed to have this book graded in my collection, and selling it for a profit to a customer.  Have a good day!

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

This book was the catalyst that started the comic book industry downward and almost out of business spiral during the 90's. All the characters you mentioned are D-Level trash.  I would be embarrassed to have this book graded in my collection, and selling it for a profit to a customer.  Have a good day!

I would never sell my Steel books.

15 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

So?

superman man of steel 26 has the title" Reign of the Supermen" on the cover with Steel and Superman side to side.

Who do you think that is talking about?

Edited by Jimmy Linguini