• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Brzrkr #1 2nd Print. Looks like a copy of the 3rd print has already sold for $50, and it's not out until later this month. I guess the third print is limited to 10,000 copies. (shrug)

Edited by awakeintheashes

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

One assumes that Kirkman really cleaned up when TWD was at its height. As you note, I'm sure that includes trades, and there was a time when it seemed like every mainstream bookstore I went to had an endcap with TWD compendiums, trades, etc. The books were everywhere. I'm not sure what his deal is with Image, but I'm sure he did very well.

I have no insight as to the ins and outs of tv negotiations, but one assumes that he got a much better deal with Amazon, if just because AMC is notoriously cheap and stingy, and Amazon seems willing to spend a lot on their programming. And by the time the deal for Invincible came along, Kirkman was already the famous creator/producer of one of the last true pop culture phenomena with TWD. Have to think he did pretty well upfront.

For what it's worth my LCS owner told me his Spawn trades were his constant best seller

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

For what it's worth my LCS owner told me his Spawn trades were his constant best seller

I believe it! Spawn/McFarlane have a very loyal fanbase, and it seems like it continues to pay off. I have digital versions of the trades, bought them in a Humble Bundle a couple of years ago. I couldn't really get into it, but maybe I should give them another shot.

1 hour ago, NewWorldOrder said:

This how you know we are living in the world where any dope can make money from selling comics.  This finally is profitable.  I guess I should stop using MINT copies of this book for packing material.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adventures-of-Superman-500-CGC-9-8-1st-App-of-Steel-and-Superboy/254904108224?hash=item3b597804c0%3Ag%3AxAgAAOSwJWFgT8jI&LH_Auction=1

And despite all the Superman/ Steel pump or whatever that price is not any sign of impending doom or crazy stupid.  The book has a glued cover that actually doesn't get 9.8 as often as you would suspect and GPA prices have been about consistent for this book in 9.8. Not like a lot of this other hype new books selling for hundreds or thousands.  20210405_151307.thumb.jpg.a510fc596e7831afb9c7091d9e2fbac2.jpg20210405_151322.thumb.jpg.a6d027dee662f9ba5c3573021de06bb8.jpg

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

And despite all the Superman/ Steel pump or whatever that price is not any sign of impending doom or crazy stupid.  The book has a glued cover that actually doesn't get 9.8 as often as you would suspect and GPA prices have been about consistent for this book in 9.8. Not like a lot of this other hype new books selling for hundreds or thousands.  20210405_151307.thumb.jpg.a510fc596e7831afb9c7091d9e2fbac2.jpg20210405_151322.thumb.jpg.a6d027dee662f9ba5c3573021de06bb8.jpg

The fact this book sells for anything over trash bin status means this market is insane.  Whether I agree or not. 

2 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

The fact this book sells for anything over trash bin status means this market is insane.  Whether I agree or not. 

I am not disagreeing that this book was printed in mass, but how many other books that have a first appearance and pivotal issue number that are harder to get in CGC 9.8 sell for only $67-100?  Just seems in line with a lot of run filler books. 

$100+ sales of raw marvel series one cards... That is insane...

4k+ for UF 4 that is insane.. 

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I am not disagreeing that this book was printed in mass, but how many other books that have a first appearance and pivotal issue number that are harder to get in CGC 9.8 sell for only $67-100?  Just seems in line with a lot of run filler books. 

$100+ sales of raw marvel series one cards... That is insane...

4k+ for UF 4 that is insane.. 

I remember seeing a thousand copies of that book my LCS that I was working at as 11 year old.  Can never convince me this book should have any value, especially since its a Superman comic book who I hate the most.

If I have it my way I would be rich enough to buy all the known copies of Action Comics #1 and burn them out of existence. 

Just now, NewWorldOrder said:

I remember seeing a thousand copies of that book my LCS that I was working at as 11 year old.  Can never convince me this book should have any value, especially since its a Superman comic book who I hate the most.

If I have it my way I would be rich enough to buy all the known copies of Action Comics #1 and burn them out of existence. 

That is what makes this hobby great. We all have our own preferences.  Yes many stores had thousands.  Many realized this was pure glut and then binned them or trashed them. That is exactly what made these harder to find in a book that already had known issues getting a 9.8 , even if kept pristine.  

As for burning them out of existence well that is just a pipe dream as several are locked into collections that even their heirs will probably never sell. Good luck with that.  

Still the one thing remains is that this price is not an extreme case of impending doom for the industry , or crazy over excessive inflation as is with MANY of this current market.  

It is just another example of some collector's paying for what they love. 

That is what makes this hobby great. We all have our own preferences.  Yes many stores had thousands.  Many realized this was pure glut and then binned them or trashed them. That is exactly what made these harder to find in a book that already had known issues getting a 9.8 , even if kept pristine.  

As for burning them out of existence well that is just a pipe dream as several are locked into collections that even their heirs will probably never sell. Good luck with that.  

Still the one thing remains is that this price is not an extreme case of impending doom for the industry , or crazy over excessive inflation as is with MANY of this current market.  

It is just another example of some collector's paying for what they love. 

I am very bullish about the hobby and the market, but I can think some of these books are still embarrassing.  I understand that people can sell garbage books like Superman 500 and use the money to buy real books.

I firmly believe the $60 - $100 price 9.8's are also a "convenience" price. "I like the book, but I dont want to spend time/effort to send to CGC and wait." 

Thats why we see so many high print run books that might have a first appearance or some sort of notoriety fall in that range and not go much past it.

Just now, NewWorldOrder said:

I am very bullish about the hobby and the market, but I can think some of these books are still embarrassing.  I understand that people can sell garbage books like Superman 500 and use the money to buy real books.

Completely understandable and we all have our own views and opinions. 

For me the embarrassing ones are these modern pump and dump , manufactured low print "rare" books , or ones from any age of publishers that have horrendous art donning the cover. :facepalm: 

those are my opinions and I am not pushing that believe on anyone else or calling what anyoneelse likes garbage .

I know there are more than enough segments for everyone to collect what they love(or profiteer from) without acting like an insufficiently thoughtless person.  

Completely understandable and we all have our own views and opinions. 

For me the embarrassing ones are these modern pump and dump , manufactured low print "rare" books , or ones from any age of publishers that have horrendous art donning the cover. :facepalm: 

those are my opinions and I am not pushing that believe on anyone else or calling what anyoneelse likes garbage .

I know there are more than enough segments for everyone to collect what they love(or profiteer from) without acting like an insufficiently thoughtless person.  

But I like acting like an insufficiently thoughtless person. (shrug)

Remember what I collect makes sense, what other people collect does not.  (j/k)

or......you should know I am not here to have logical conversations and learn not to take me seriously unless its a sales thread.  

4 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

But I like acting like an insufficiently thoughtless person. (shrug)

Remember what I collect makes sense, what other people collect does not.  (j/k)

or......you should know I am not here to have logical conversations and learn not to take me seriously unless its a sales thread.  

Always enjoy the George Carlin philosophy.  My stuff is stuff. Your stuff is carp. 

Most already know I usually do not type out this much.  

oB2G6fw.gif.89855bd0132c5eb4966486cc59bb4687.gif

28 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I firmly believe the $60 - $100 price 9.8's are also a "convenience" price. "I like the book, but I dont want to spend time/effort to send to CGC and wait." 

Thats why we see so many high print run books that might have a first appearance or some sort of notoriety fall in that range and not go much past it.

I do not know the book, but are there little things that might make a lot of them 9.6ses and it might actually be expensive to mine a 9.8 out of a stack of 20 really nice ones? $5 pre-screens add a chunk to the cost of things if 10 don't make the cut. They all look perfect to me in the dollar box, but who am I to judge?

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

I do not know the book, but are there little things that might make a lot of them 9.6ses and it might actually be expensive to mine a 9.8 out of a stack of 20 really nice ones? $5 pre-screens add a chunk to the cost of things if 10 don't make the cut. They all look perfect to me in the dollar box, but who am I to judge?

I dont know any grading issues, but I've never had a Superman 500 graded. I have 2 copies in my raw books that are still in the plastic. I know there were tons of them when it came out. I didn't collect comics back then.