• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I firmly believe the $60 - $100 price 9.8's are also a "convenience" price. "I like the book, but I dont want to spend time/effort to send to CGC and wait." 

Thats why we see so many high print run books that might have a first appearance or some sort of notoriety fall in that range and not go much past it.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

I do not know the book, but are there little things that might make a lot of them 9.6ses and it might actually be expensive to mine a 9.8 out of a stack of 20 really nice ones? $5 pre-screens add a chunk to the cost of things if 10 don't make the cut. They all look perfect to me in the dollar box, but who am I to judge?

Both of you definitely touch on some good points. I would suspect that those definitely are driving factors in it maintaining its value. As I said in one of my earlier posts.  This book has a glued on cover similar to square bound editions and the glue was pretty inconsistent.  Which lead to a lot never having a chance at 9.8 from the day they were produced.  That combined with bulk orders from that period of glut. I would agree several sales are probably just due to not wanting to attempt sending in several just to get a 9.8. 

1 minute ago, kevhtx said:

I dont know any grading issues, but I've never had a Superman 500 graded. I have 2 copies in my raw books that are still in the plastic. I know there were tons of them when it came out. I didn't collect comics back then.

The White Bag issues are different from the one we have been discussing.  Those are the collector's edition which too had several issues keeping them from 9.8s.  At least their covers were thicker. The regular cover we have been discussing has a thinner paper cover that made it a mess.. 

Just now, kevhtx said:

Remember, costs will shift a bit over the years just due to inflation. It's definitely not a spec book or something someone will buy because of the rarity.

Ah, I didnt even know that. I thought it was the same book in the plastic. I didnt collect at that time and have never actually opened one. 

Just now, kevhtx said:

Remember, costs will shift a bit over the years just due to inflation. It's definitely not a spec book or something someone will buy because of the rarity.

This was why I said these really aren't any sign of any of this as their value has been pretty steady.  If you count inflation they have actually trended down in value . 

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This was why I said these really aren't any sign of any of this as their value has been pretty steady.  If you count inflation they have actually trended down in value . 

As a seller, my "should I grade it and sell it" is the $100 mark for a 9.8. Not sure if others are similar, but if so we might see more of these get sent in. haha

I remember commenting back in Jan or Feb how Adventures of Sups 500 1st Steel was undervalued in this market, when X-Force 1 popped and all those black Sups books.. Platinum Sups 75 are selling for premiums.. saldy 75 polybags are still at the same price

7 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

As a seller, my "should I grade it and sell it" is the $100 mark for a 9.8. Not sure if others are similar, but if so we might see more of these get sent in. haha

This would be more of a gamble unless you are 100% certain it is a 9.8 as any lower and it would likely barely cover grading cost. Also why other pay for the 9.8 vs sending them in.

7 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This would be more of a gamble unless you are 100% certain it is a 9.8 as any lower and it would likely barely cover grading cost. Also why other pay for the 9.8 vs sending them in.

Oh yeah, definitely. If I send in a book, I have to know its gonna be a 9.6+. If there is any question, I dont send it. 9.6+ at that point usually at the least makes me break even on that book at that price point.

5 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I remember commenting back in Jan or Feb how Adventures of Sups 500 1st Steel was undervalued in this market, when X-Force 1 popped and all those black Sups books.. Platinum Sups 75 are selling for premiums.. saldy 75 polybags are still at the same price

I wouldn't compare anything in the current market and call it undervalued by comparison as most of the market has lost its mind, but if making that comparison I could understand the reasoning.  

The Platinum 75 and 500 have always had a premium, but actually with 75 in 9.8 it is just starting to recover a bit. It had fallen to about $500 when it was up over $1,400 for a bit, but more people got them graded and others pressed into 9.8 and the census went up, which in turn made a price correction.

20210405_164517.thumb.jpg.1d0df611de6fd3e62cab17854af3d838.jpg

The Platinum 500 has been more of a steady rise with a slight dip when the census rose. 

20210405_164458.thumb.jpg.f6ca4a9051282d3fa273c823bea3b7e0.jpg

30 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I would comment about how there are hundreds of thousands of these out there (most in $1 boxes or unopened cases), but it's obvious that isn't a factor in today's market. I started picking them up in $1 boxes again a couple of weeks ago just in case.

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

11 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Oh yeah, definitely. If I send in a book, I have to know its gonna be a 9.6+. If there is any question, I dont send it. 9.6+ at that point usually at the least makes me break even on that book at that price point.

There are still better books to attempt to profit from as even in 9.6 the price has a steep drop off. Especially considering the poly bag , glued cover, overlay, and black background all give many ways this could easily drop below 9.8. 20210405_164828.thumb.jpg.b27e6af9c58de0f556a788b475aa2767.jpg

And unless it is a book you really want all of that gamble may not be worth it unless it really does follow the current trend and explode, which i personally wouldn't bet on. 20210405_165504.thumb.jpg.924c5ae1acbdad2d45531d816628dedd.jpg

7 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

There are still better books to attempt to profit from as even in 9.6 the price has a steep drop off. Especially considering the poly bag , glued cover, overlay, and black background all give many ways this could easily drop below 9.8. 

And unless it is a book you really want all of that gamble may not be worth it unless it really does follow the current trend and explode, which i personally wouldn't bet on. 

True. I dont have any intentions of sending any in at this point. That price point is just my lower limit of deciding if I want to send in (with other criteria being involved as well).

One more thing about Spawn and Mcfarlane was the CGC signing 

That brought a lot of people back

He uses the Instagram platofrm to promote very well 

Edited by jsilverjanet

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

the 9.6 of that book may not recoup slabbing costs.