• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, littledoom said:

I remember commenting back in Jan or Feb how Adventures of Sups 500 1st Steel was undervalued in this market, when X-Force 1 popped and all those black Sups books.. Platinum Sups 75 are selling for premiums.. saldy 75 polybags are still at the same price

I just cant bring myself to buy it even it starts to sell. I know how many copies are out there I just cant buy one even cheap lol.

18 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I would comment about how there are hundreds of thousands of these out there (most in $1 boxes or unopened cases), but it's obvious that isn't a factor in today's market. I started picking them up in $1 boxes again a couple of weeks ago just in case.

Do you just close your eyes? Even for $1 I can't do it. I got standards. lol

20 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I just cant bring myself to buy it even it starts to sell. I know how many copies are out there I just cant buy one even cheap lol.

Guess Spider-Man 1 1990 is the next sleeper book to pop. I passed on a silver for $3 last week.. still seems like a $10 comic. full Torment runs aren’t expensive. Perhaps there’s way too many supply of all covers 

Edited by littledoom

19 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I remember seeing a thousand copies of that book my LCS that I was working at as 11 year old.  Can never convince me this book should have any value, especially since its a Superman comic book who I hate the most.

If I have it my way I would be rich enough to buy all the known copies of Action Comics #1 and burn them out of existence. 

Yikes, 1k copies? Sounds like you might be surprised by how many were actually distributed.

14 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Steel is not Superman. Steel was never Superman. Steel was the only one of the 4 to not claim he was Superman.

Steel is obviously connected to Superman, but he is definitely NOT Superman.

So we agree, Steel is Superman.

Spawn has been a great back issue seller at shows the past decade or so. My file LCS owner commented recently that he never worries about taking Spawn in trade for store credit since they sell so fast. He also made an interesting observation that the number of Spawn collectors has increased significantly the past couple of years, and unlike his Turtles collectors, they buy everything when he gets them in (while Turtles collectors chase specific issues).

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yikes, 1k copies? Sounds like you might be surprised by how many were actually distributed.

I passed on 6 longs of it in the early 00s from unsold old store stock, along with 4 longs each of Rai 0, Bloodshot 1 and Turok 1. In hindsight, at $50/long it made sense, but those books were unsellable at the time and other than Rai 0 would have sat in storage for 15+ years before being somewhat moveable.

Edited by kimik

11 minutes ago, kimik said:

I passed on 6 longs of it in the early 00s from unsold old store stock, along with 4 longs each of Rai 0, Bloodshot 1 and Turok 1. In hindsight, at $50/long it made sense, but those books were unsellable at the time and other than Rai 0 would have sat in storage for 15+ years before being somewhat moveable.

Wow, I probably would have jumped on the Rai 0, just because I always LOVED that cover. But the rest, yeah, would have been an easy pass. When I worked at my LCS in 96/97, they had at least full longs of AoS 500. They may still be there, for all I know!

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I don't understand how you can say Steel isn't a version of Superman.

421277181_ScreenShot2021-04-06at12_42_10PM.thumb.png.1ced5d97662268c8e1ac17ba5cd99741.png

I already posted an answer to this several pages back. 

20 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Reign of the Supermen!

Superman; Steel; Superboy; Green Lantern; Supergirl; Eradicator

The storyline is significant for not only resurrecting the DCU's most famous super-hero, but also because it chronicled the destruction of Coast City at the hands of Mongul and the Cyborg Superman. While this event is only tangentially tied to the Superman mythos, its reverberations had lasting effects which culiminated in the three part Green Lantern story-arc "Emerald Twilight".

In addition, "Reign of the Supermen!" introduced two long-standing super-hero characters, John Henry Irons, who would adapt the code-name Steel, and a new Superboy, who was in fact a partial clone of both Superman and Lex Luthor. Both of these characters would go on to star in their own ongoing titles.

Reign of the Supermen was a story arch in the comics which ran in all of these issues. 

Issues

Action Comics #687

Superman: The Man of Steel #22

Superman (Volume 2) #78

Adventures of Superman #501

Action Comics #688

Superman: The Man of Steel #23

Superman (Volume 2) #79

Adventures of Superman #502

Action Comics #689

Superman: The Man of Steel #24

Superman (Volume 2) #80

Adventures of Superman #503

Action Comics #690

Superman: The Man of Steel #25

Superman (Volume 2) #81

Adventures of Superman #504

Action Comics #691

Superman: The Man of Steel #26

Green Lantern (Volume 3) #46

Superman (Volume 2) #82

Adventures of Superman #505

That title you are seeing across the top was nothing more than showing the tangent story arch. 

Steel is not Superman.  

3c4lry.jpg.0bf47b3205b7b082cb796ed0fb7bc92e.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Yeah I'm not going to get into a big thing about this but Superman Man of Steel #22 is pretty clear that Henry Irons becomes the man of steel but whatever. Ray J and the creepsquad will rise again.

John Henry Irons / Steel .....

Steel is a fictional superhero who appears in comic books published by DC Comics. He is a genius engineer who built a mechanized suit of armor that replicates Superman's powers and bears Superman's logo. Initially, he sought to replace Superman after Superman was killed by Doomsday. After Superman was resurrected, Superman accepted Steel as a comrade. His real name is John Henry Irons and he wields a sledgehammer—this is a reference to the mythical railroad worker John Henry. He has a niece named Natasha Irons who is also a superhero in a similar mechanized suit of armor.

15 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Wow, I probably would have jumped on the Rai 0, just because I always LOVED that cover. But the rest, yeah, would have been an easy pass. When I worked at my LCS in 96/97, they had at least full longs of AoS 500. They may still be there, for all I know!

I picked up 20 of the Rai 0s, but back then they were everywhere. At the time stores were dumping their 90s overstock - the same intermediary had moved a long of ASM 300s at $5 apiece from the same source a year prior to that (along with longs of ASM 252 and each of the McSpidey 1 covers). Again, I foolishly only bought 20 instead of taking them all.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

So you don't think Lex Luther was ever superman either right?

Do not feel like typing out most of the New 52 as that was DC just trying to throw sh*t at a wall to see what would stick. Here is an article that does a decent synopsis of that tangent story line across the arc. 

https://screenrant.com/dc-rebirth-lex-luthor-new-superman/

Short answer : changing your ways and buying the newspaper to gain the cape and costume then putting it on does not make you superman.  

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Guess Spider-Man 1 1990 is the next sleeper book to pop. I passed on a silver for $3 last week.. still seems like a $10 comic. full Torment runs aren’t expensive. Perhaps there’s way too many supply of all covers 

newsstands :wishluck: