• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I think of this like commercials and advertising.  Where they realized repetition and getting it in front of people more tend to generate sales. Add the different art, variants, print runs.  I think a whole lot of this is just throwing sh*t at the wall to see what sticks.. 

I think they are onto us and know many collectors are completists. If they plan ahead for multiple printings and variant covers many collectors will want them all even if the material inside wouldn’t otherwise result in the demand for subsequent printings.

Instead of letting multiple printings happen naturally based on quality/demand they are manufacturing it ahead of time.  So far it is working out for them. 

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

It just makes me worried I am going to get pounded doing a 9.6 pre-screen

I generally don't try to grade a book over a 9.4 anyway, I just don't have enough experience with CGC's standards to really speculate (owning a few 9.4 - 9.8 books over the years isn't enough), but on this one I felt good that it would get a 9.6. live and learn. last 9.4 was in the $600s, 9.6 might be mid/high $700s, 9.8 might be cracking $1000.

I look at my Legion 23 Supergirl Hughes and see a 9.6-9.8, I might have to readjust my retirement plans...

I definitely do understand the worry and concern.  I have had good success in the past with just sending in books, but it started becoming inconsistent, so I started prescreening them. The A few submissions ago got hammered and only 18 of the 25 hit the 9.8. 

After they made it back to took a second look and realized that somewhere along the line the corners of those other books got hit. The bag and boards all had been crunched and did the same to the books. :facepalm:

Since then it has really been hit of miss. So with everything going on I have really cut back and only sending in really top candidates or ones I do not care as much what specific grade they get. 

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I definitely do understand the worry and concern.  I have had good success in the past with just sending in books, but it started becoming inconsistent, so I started prescreening them. The A few submissions ago got hammered and only 18 of the 25 hit the 9.8. 

After they made it back to took a second look and realized that somewhere along the line the corners of those other books got hit. The bag and boards all had been crunched and did the same to the books. :facepalm:

Since then it has really been hit of miss. So with everything going on I have really cut back and only sending in really top candidates or ones I do not care as much what specific grade they get. 

well, that's it, the book can get damaged in transit or by them and you are S.O.O.L.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

well, that's it, the book can get damaged in transit or by them and you are S.O.O.L.

That is why I carry private insurance that covers transit damage. (CIS)  If I thought it was CGC then I would have been calling to try to work something out. 

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is why I carry private insurance that covers transit damage. (CIS)  If I thought it was CGC then I would have been calling to try to work something out. 

but how do you prove this to an insurer if the box did not get crushed? you can pinch a corner, in theory, while making your own protective sandwhich.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

but how do you prove this to an insurer if the box did not get crushed? you can pinch a corner, in theory, while making your own protective sandwhich.

All I can do submit all the data they require and await their decision.  In the case mentioned above. I provided before and after pictures as well as all tracking and submission data. I then typed out a statement.  It wasn't a very large amount for those books ( thank goodness) they cut the check. 

1 hour ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This happened on my last 25 book pre-screen as well.  13 graded 12 rejects with corner damage.  In the middle of the invoice, so the books that got damaged  were packaged in the middle of the shipment to coordinate with the invoice. Hard to believe it was during shipping.

2 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

This happened on my last 25 book pre-screen as well.  13 graded 12 rejects with corner damage.  In the middle of the invoice, so the books that got damaged  were packaged in the middle of the shipment to coordinate with the invoice. Hard to believe it was during shipping.

Sometimes it is just hard to discern what happened.  It is sad . With as busy as they are right now ( both CGC and Shippers)  I know it is bound to happen in the numbers . Still no consolation.  Sorry it happend to you as well. 

1 hour ago, Catwomancomics said:

Explain this so I can visualize how they messed up 12 books, this sounds bad

1 hour ago, Catwomancomics said:
2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I like both of you, but really? 18 of 25 and 13 of 25? I think you should be happy with those percentages (no matter how good you think you are at grading.) Remember, it's a third-party opinion.  :sumo: :foryou:

8 minutes ago, divad said:

I like both of you, but really? 18 of 25 and 13 of 25? I think you should be happy with those percentages (no matter how good you think you are at grading.) Remember, it's a third-party opinion.  :sumo: :foryou:

Oh I definitely do agree with you there. It is still a percentage to be happy about. I do know they are just giving their opinion. It still wasn't too far off from my average.  I do not truly presume to be good at grading, like CGC I guess the best that I can. Then I send it to them to see what their opinion is and how far off I was. There are always surprises both good and bad.

I was merely trying to emphasize with another collector . Like the joke I had made in poor taste to him, it truly would have only served me right if you had quoted me and suggested that I go start a revenge prescreen thread over that statement.  I would have deserved it. 

Glad you like us both inspite of my poorly chosen wording . :foryou:

3 hours ago, BrooksR said:

I’ve been thinking about this lately. It used to be they’d reprint a comic if it sold out and there was still demand. That makes sense. Now it seems like every issue of a series gets 2nd and 3rd prints, sometimes 5 or more. These seem to be planned before the first print even comes out. Not to mention all of the variant covers. Why do they continually reprint when they earlier prints ate still available?

I'd been wondering if the shop mega-buys for the variants (as @FlyingDonut wrote about here) was playing havoc with true supply/demand interpretation... but you're right, they do it constantly.