• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

It seems like there are phases where grading is stricter than at other times and vice versa. No idea what causes it, though.

My guess is new hires.

If you get a new job, you’re likely to lean toward being overly detail oriented and perfectionistic at first.  You want to make a good impression.  In this case, that means noting every defect, no matter how small, and not missing anything.  You’ll probably tend to under-grade rather than over grade. 2c

1 hour ago, the blob said:
2 hours ago, divad said:

One too many O's - especially from a guy from Jersey. lol

I'm not from Jersey

My mistake . . . no offense intended :foryou:

6 hours ago, divad said:

I like both of you, but really? 18 of 25 and 13 of 25? I think you should be happy with those percentages (no matter how good you think you are at grading.) Remember, it's a third-party opinion.  :sumo: :foryou:

Yes, the numbers don’t lie. We’ve been brought back down to reality :facepalm:

On 4/6/2021 at 11:56 PM, Arkham said:

How come the second and third print are so hot when the first print is so readily available in huge numbers? 

As mentioned, limited numbers of a new cover is going to draw attention. As for the "readily available," while there was a lot of early hype, I imagine, since this is Boom, and not Marvel, DC, or Image, there would have been a number of stores that ordered more conservatively, and sold out. Of course there's plenty of stores that went big and still have them, but if you like picking your books up in the shop and all of the stores around you are sold out of 1st, you're going to get the reprint.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not sure how much the Spawn popularity is spilling over into Spawn appearances, but I sold a few issues of Ant recently that had Spawn appearances. Comichron-reported sales were under 10K

I think it's reasonable to assume collectors are now targeting character appearances in the Spawn Universe. Some I'm trying to clean out locally are (still fodder)

Hellspawn 7 - 1st Raven Spawn and 1st app of Micheal Moran (Miracleman) in Spawnverse

Hellspawn 15 - 1st Nightmare Spawn 

On 4/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not sure how much the Spawn popularity is spilling over into Spawn appearances, but I sold a few issues of Ant recently that had Spawn appearances. Comichron-reported sales were under 10K

For what it's worth, I think it was issue 2 that has a Spawn cameo at the end, with a full appearance in 3.

7 hours ago, 500Club said:

My guess is new hires.

If you get a new job, you’re likely to lean toward being overly detail oriented and perfectionistic at first.  You want to make a good impression.  In this case, that means noting every defect, no matter how small, and not missing anything.  You’ll probably tend to under-grade rather than over grade. 2c

The latest tight phase also seems to coincide with the uptick in SS events that CGC is hosting. Volume increases. It's like two pipelines for books, a fast tracked get it signed turn and burn, and the normal 9mos process of grind / undergrade. 

I've seen some soft 9.8s and 9.6s in yellow labels, especially during the McFarlane event. 

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If it makes anyone feel better about their chances, I got 25 for 25 in a prescreen submitted in December.

December and April is a long time.

I hit 3/25 on my last prescreen

3 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

That is absolutely terrifying.

I've never called to complain but after that and 6/14 I had to.

Nothing came of it, hopefully they figured out what the problem is.

Disclaimer - I can easily hit 25/25 if I send brand new copies of books that just came out. These are essentially unread copies (copper to modern), some pressed that should have a 50/50 shot to hit 9.8. I've hit on average about 60-75% like this for grades between 9.4-9.8. The last prescreens that I had these horrible scores were shipped first week of march. I currently have 3 prescreen subs at CGC and one regular modern.

I will say on a regular modern subs since those grades they were slightly been better (got some 9.8s on some big books)

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Disclaimer - I can easily hit 25/25 if I send brand new copies of books that just came out. These are essentially unread copies (copper to modern), some pressed that should have a 50/50 shot to hit 9.8. I've hit on average about 60-75% like this for grades between 9.4-9.8. The last prescreens that I had these horrible scores were shipped first week of march. I currently have 3 prescreen subs at CGC and one regular modern.

I will say on a regular modern subs since those grades they were slightly been better (got some 9.8s on some big books)

I did an extra thorough self-prescreen before sending in a recent batch. I rejected books, that under previous years I would think had an outside chance (60-70%) at getting a 9.8, figuring they'd be rejected right away. After your statement and other stories, I'm pretty nervous about how bad my batting average is going to be with this recent submission.

I sent moderns for the first time. Books bought straight off the shelf, hand picked, never opened.

The spines were horrible, so not sure if that's considered printing defect or they'll come back 8.0

21 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I did an extra thorough self-prescreen before sending in a recent batch. I rejected books, that under previous years I would think had an outside chance (60-70%) at getting a 9.8, figuring they'd be rejected right away. After your statement and other stories, I'm pretty nervous about how bad my batting average is going to be with this recent submission.

it appears they've reset their grading a bit to be not as tight. I think several people started to call and complain. Hopefully it's move back to where it was before

23 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I think he meant the Marvel Team Up with Spider-Man and Invincible- I assume the reason was that Marvel didn't need to put the logo since he owned the character and gave his permission, and Image had nothing to do with the final product. Unless I'm mistaken about what we're talking about- we need to start listing the comic when replying to quotes from pages ago.

I am talking about the same book as well, before Kirkman was made a partner at Image he was able to do crossovers and do work for other companies. As an example he did a run on Ultimate X-Men. Once he became a partner, I believe he was not longer able to do work for other companies or do crossovers even though he owned the character. 

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Did they send you a tissue?