• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, the blob said:

New comic sales are supposed to be up. Back issues are nuts.  How can shops be going belly up? I guess if they were blasted for 6 months during the pandemic they may have debts they can't get out of, particularly of unable to get the stimulus $. With that said my kids' barber had her rent raised in october despite being required to work it 50% capacity. Landlord who has owned the building forever and barely has a mortgage did not care. Knew she wasn't in a position to move. Squeezed her another 5%. So who knows.

Thats what I thought too.  the two stores in my area are selling like crazy right now with collectibles getting so popular

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

New comic sales are supposed to be up. Back issues are nuts.  How can shops be going belly up? I guess if they were blasted for 6 months during the pandemic they may have debts they can't get out of, particularly of unable to get the stimulus $. With that said my kids' barber had her rent raised in october despite being required to work it 50% capacity. Landlord who has owned the building forever and barely has a mortgage did not care. Knew she wasn't in a position to move. Squeezed her another 5%. So who knows.

People like that landlord are terds. Can I say terds?:|

Hopefully carma is a beeaatch...

1 hour ago, the blob said:

What is clz and why should we care vs. Looking at ebay? A 9.8 newsstand of 53 hit $317. My guess is that this has warped perceived values of cgc copies. Raws are still under $10. As has been pointed out, big newsstand numbers are being used to hype direct numbers and too many of the folks buying stuff are too clueless to understand this and think this it is now a $317 book and then a website like this pushes it. Newsstand prices are their own wacky universe. And even if a direct is $300 because of a perception that 9.8 is really hard, I doubt it carries over to a 9.6 of this common as heck kind of nothing book.

The issue should be with Gocollect, not CLZ, as they just link to their site. 

46 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Thats what I thought too.  the two stores in my area are selling like crazy right now with collectibles getting so popular

Yeah, there are three stores I frequent near me. Two have bad idea books, which is nice. There always seems to be a decent stream of people, and it looks like product is moving. One of them always seems to have kids with their parents, which is an encouraging sign. I take my son there when I go on the weekends. 

I hope they can continue their success and can capitalize on this opportunity.  

Edited by awakeintheashes

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Nice report as always. 

What's going on with local comic shops going out of business?

I've been buying all my bad idea comics online.  They are forced to keep it cover price the first month.  

The shop in questions been there for 30 years I think owner is in bad health I think. And they don't utilize the internet enough. 

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Many went belly up during covid 

19 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Yes, from a business standpoint. Im sure they are making a killing and they havent really missed a step. Im assuming its going exactly the way they wanted. 

nah. ive come to realize Bad Idea isnt just the publishing name. they had to cut 50% of orders to shops after the LCS' ordered more than what BI thought there were going to sell. had they had an actual FOC and distributed through Diamond they wouldnt have had to come up with a not-first-print. Read this semi scathing review from an LCS' point of view.   I think how they are doing the pizza detective (providing excerpt from the linked article below) is quite bad. my lcs has already said even though i pick up my books on saturdays, ill get it anyway. i can respect a publisher bucking norms but the decision making is completely opposite of getting books in the hands of as many people as possible.  

"As a bit of a mea culpa for misfiring on the print run of ENIAC #1, Bad Idea announced to retailers that they would be providing copies of a title called HANK HOWARD, PIZZA DETECTIVE in CALIGULA’S SAFE to retailers FOR FREE, in the same quantity that they originally ordered for ENIAC #1 (or in the case of “second wave” retailers, TANKERS #1). Retailers are to sell the book for $1 American, BUT… (and there is always a BUT with this company) they are ONLY able to sell the title on Wednesday, May 12th  not before, and not afterwards. Once the clock strikes midnight, the remaining copies are to be shipped back to Bad Idea"

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Agreed on Bad Idea.  I had Tankers inhand and passed.  Only guilt I have is not supporting Kindt.  I made the decision that I'm 100% out.

Yeah why buy a book for $4 and turn around and sell it for $50. Same with Eniac #1. A $4 book sold for $130 & another set of both #1’s for $150. Who in their right mind would want to profit like that? 

3 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

People like that landlord are terds. Can I say terds?:|

Hopefully carma is a beeaatch...

His expenses may have gone up, but he has huge margins having paid pennies on the dollar decades ago. This poor lady is trying hard to survive, her husband died last summer, etc. She was paying her rent. He could have given her a year off from hikes. I know this isn't charity, but an empty storefront pays zero rent. Commercial landlords in nyc are a different species.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

Yeah why buy a book for $4 and turn around and sell it for $50. Same with Eniac #1. A $4 book sold for $130 & another set of both #1’s for $150. Who in their right mind would want to profit like that? 

You're right, because the only point of comics is profit.  
Patrick

On 4/9/2021 at 10:46 AM, the blob said:

Seriously upset that I did not sneak back into Midtown comics to buy more Frison virgin covers at cover price when they had them on the rack, limit 1 per customer. Just sold one for $125. At the time they were probably about $10 and I didn't want to be a pig to make $5. I should have been a pig!

I wouldn't kick yourself, I picked up the Frison cover instead of cover A when it originally came out, and they charged $8 for it too as opposed to cover price. Still sore over it. Is Cover A selling for that much more than B and C? (Asking in general, not you specifically)

6 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

I wouldn't kick yourself, I picked up the Frison cover instead of cover A when it originally came out, and they charged $8 for it too as opposed to cover price. Still sore over it. Is Cover A selling for that much more than B and C? (Asking in general, not you specifically)

I paid cover price for the frison virgin that is selling for $125-50 raw

7 hours ago, the blob said:

What is clz and why should we care vs. Looking at ebay? A 9.8 newsstand of 53 hit $317. My guess is that this has warped perceived values of cgc copies. Raws are still under $10. As has been pointed out, big newsstand numbers are being used to hype direct numbers and too many of the folks buying stuff are too clueless to understand this and think this it is now a $317 book and then a website like this pushes it. Newsstand prices are their own wacky universe. And even if a direct is $300 because of a perception that 9.8 is really hard, I doubt it carries over to a 9.6 of this common as heck kind of nothing book.

Grumpy. Just sharing, dude. It pulls from various sources, like Go Collect, which pull from eBay. But makes sense if they haven’t separated this newsstand yet. They’re working to separate more and more of them. Like Spawn 1 newsstands have their own category now. 

11 hours ago, the blob said:

I am guessing you really wanted to be an overstreet advisor and write market reports when you were young.

Hey it could be worse, he could be that guy on CBSI who writes articles as an excuse to do his own version of the Wizard movie casting calls and gives no spec.