• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

Invincible is really starting to kick it up a notch.  I sold a nice #2 & #5 for what I bought a complete set (missing #1) a few years ago.  I'm still listing up some sub #20 issues so I'm not sure how the rest of the set will do in bulk batches.

7 hours ago, divad said:
9 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Funny; I've seen this gif plenty of times but never had any idea where it was from. My guess was that it was from some relatively recent comedy that was parodying a Grizzly Adams-type character

Just how old ARE you . . . lol

I agree cause that's what I would have thought, but a comedy more from the 70's I thought, like Benny Hill or what not lol 

12 hours ago, followtheleader said:

You're right, because the only point of comics is profit.  
Patrick

In the modern comics heating up on eBay thread I believe we’re talking about these hot books to capitalize and make money. Or are we supposed to pull that hot book out of a dusty long box, look at it longingly and put it back? To further my point limiting yourself to just what you like is shortsighted. That $4 book that sold for $130 went into buying books I actually like and want. 

10 hours ago, the blob said:

Garbage in, garbage out, at least if values are going to get twisted by a newsstand variant sale. These apps seem to be responsible for a lot of people thinking their cheap books are worth real money. Some guy was on facebook selling darker image 1s for $15 or 20 each and folks were laughing at him. He defended it by citing gocollect or some other app., which had clearly been corrupted by newsstand version sales. But people look at this stuff at face value and pay too much. 

Ummm, there was a media option on The Maxx who first appears in Darker Image #1. They were selling regularly for those prices and higher grades and newsstands were fetching much more after the announcement which was sometime last year. So someone asking those prices isn’t  crazy. 

24 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

Ummm, there was a media option on The Maxx who first appears in Darker Image #1. They were selling regularly for those prices and higher grades and newsstands were fetching much more after the announcement which was sometime last year. So someone asking those prices isn’t  crazy. 

At the time I looked it up because I was excited that my 3 million copies were worth $15 or $20 each, but alas, they were still selling for $5 and under. Pretty much like now. Newsstands were another issue. This may be a like X-Force 1 deadpool "rookie" cards that got stupid money for 5 days until folks dug up their long boxes of them. 11 copies for $19 best offer in January?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Darker-Image-1-There-Are-Eleven-Copies-In-Polybags-In-Mint-/254837672751?hash=item3b55824b2f%3Ag%3AsqoAAOSwqJtgBQyT&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557    10 for $15:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Darker-Image-1-Mar-1993-Image-bulk-lot-of-10-Still-in-polybag-With-Cards/393088269733?epid=85414076&hash=item5b85e2fda5:g:snAAAOSwj4Vf-JWY      When was this drek supposedly selling for $15-20 a copy? 2 or 3 fake sales? Let's bring in Yogolak to analyze this for fraud and hijinx! I assume we are only talking about the maxx card ones?

Edited by the blob

10 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Funny; I've seen this gif plenty of times but never had any idea where it was from. My guess was that it was from some relatively recent comedy that was parodying a Grizzly Adams-type character

10 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Zach Galifianakis from the One-Man Wolf Pack.

Patrick

If you had given me the choices of a '70s movie or a Zach Galifianakis movie, I would have guessed the latter.

1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

In the modern comics heating up on eBay thread I believe we’re talking about these hot books to capitalize and make money. Or are we supposed to pull that hot book out of a dusty long box, look at it longingly and put it back? To further my point limiting yourself to just what you like is shortsighted. That $4 book that sold for $130 went into buying books I actually like and want. 

I only illustrated what I did as I'm not a fan of the company/practices.  

But definitely not recommending others to not buy (or buy).  

If people want to buy and re-sell or even support the company, I understand.

Patrick

4 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Surely this can’t be real...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144000139410

But I sure hope it is since this arrived from CGC on Friday

F021741A-8010-4346-B34D-2D9733410870.jpeg

That's crazy (and don't call me Shirley)! I lucked out and picked this issue up a few months ago right before it started to pop, as well as issue 46, for $3 each. Mine's likely not a 9.8, but a rising tide lifts all boats... Congrats on a nice-looking book!

Edited by Jesse-Lee

12 hours ago, the blob said:

I get annoyed not because i don't want Spawn 53 to be worth something (and not with you)... I own a couple of copies, i have a horse in the race ... but I don't want people feeling duped. Believe me, I am happy the market is hot, I need the money. But if people feel duped and scammed they leave the hobby, may never come back, or maybe it takes decades, and I'd rather have these people buying my comics in the coming years. I think folks can accept that books get hot and cold and today's hot book might not be hot next year, but it may be worth more, we don't know. If they don't feel scammed I think they take it better. But apps giving people wildly inaccurate information is going to burn some people and they may drop the hobby as a result. A lot of stuff happened in the 90s to mess stuff up, but I think magazines like Wizard overhyping stuff as investment material probably burned a bunch of folks and they felt scammed. Nobody at Wizard ever wrote an article saying "2 million copy print run... it might take decades before this is worth cover price..."

Might your best post I have read in a long time.  (worship)

9 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

That's crazy (and don't call me Shirley)! I lucked out and picked this issue up a few months ago right before it started to pop, as well as issue 46, for $3 each. Mine's likely not a 9.8, but a rising tide lifts all boats... Congrats on a nice-looking book!

I believe it, with the information out there that it is the first Space Usagi story. 

11 hours ago, the blob said:

It is important not to pay a huge inflated price on a raw book hoping it turns into a 9.8. 9.8 prices are what they are and it is nuts to pay 9.8 price minus slabbing costs for a book when there is no guarantee what its grade will be. Honestly, the raw market for high grade newer books should be its own universe separate from cgc prices. Heck, even folks here are so dead certain x, y, z is a 9.8... we've got folks who do 25 or 50 submissions a month who sometimes don't get them half right and acknowledge it. I will not longer say anything is better than NM and most of my ebay listings just say "high grade" (if I think the book is)... if I leave money on the table, then so be it, I don't need the hassle of a return. If someone wants to ask me what I think the grade is, then fine.

That's reasonable. I will use NM+ when I think a book is perfect and that's about it.
But I think the important part and honestly sometimes why a book sells is putting a grade on it.
Otherwise how do you achieve the price you are asking? Because you graded it.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Invincible is really starting to kick it up a notch.  I sold a nice #2 & #5 for what I bought a complete set (missing #1) a few years ago.  I'm still listing up some sub #20 issues so I'm not sure how the rest of the set will do in bulk batches.

There are several books in there that will still sell well. 

From memory 44, 50 variants , 81, 110 are some that come to mind. 

That being said sets of Invincible are selling well because people are buying
them to read as well.

Edited by fastballspecial

Just now, fastballspecial said:

That's reasonable. I will use NM+ when I think a book is perfect and that's about it.
But I think the important part and honestly sometimes why a book sells is putting a grade on it.
Otherwise how do you achieve the price you are asking? Because you graded it.

sometimes, sure, but if folks here who do it for a living (practically) miss a 9.8 half or more of the time on submissions, I'm not going to try. I feel much more comfortable 9.4 and below. I base my prices on raw sales, not slabs, anyway.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

At the time I looked it up because I was excited that my 3 million copies were worth $15 or $20 each, but alas, they were still selling for $5 and under. Pretty much like now. Newsstands were another issue. This may be a like X-Force 1 deadpool "rookie" cards that got stupid money for 5 days until folks dug up their long boxes of them. 11 copies for $19 best offer in January?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Darker-Image-1-There-Are-Eleven-Copies-In-Polybags-In-Mint-/254837672751?hash=item3b55824b2f%3Ag%3AsqoAAOSwqJtgBQyT&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557    10 for $15:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Darker-Image-1-Mar-1993-Image-bulk-lot-of-10-Still-in-polybag-With-Cards/393088269733?epid=85414076&hash=item5b85e2fda5:g:snAAAOSwj4Vf-JWY      When was this drek supposedly selling for $15-20 a copy? 2 or 3 fake sales? Let's bring in Yogolak to analyze this for fraud and hijinx! I assume we are only talking about the maxx card ones?

People pay good prices for SS copies. It's the first appearance of Maxx