• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

It is amazing I was only able to extract about 20 $10 books (maybe) out of my 50 cent box diving taking home a shortie worth after sorting through about 10,000 comics. I'm sure I missed some, of course, but if I had paid $10 a pop per magazine box I am not sure I could make my money back on the good stuff. And, of course, it was picked through, but not THAT picked through as there were 10 pristine copies of the 52 week whatever first batwoman in there. Just goes to show that 99+% of the moderns out there are still only worth $1-2 a pop... Their value as reading material.

Edited by the blob

26 minutes ago, littledoom said:

#2 also. Bananas!

Awesome. I found a sealed pack with Agents of Atlas 2-5 or 2-6 for half off cover price(the pack was put together by the LCS, not a distribution sealed pack to be clear) and I picked it up. Might go back to see if they have any more sets... found 6 copies of X-Force 2 at my LCS for $5 each today, those looked pretty nice. And a 1st app of Franken-Castle for cover, quiet day but a good one.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

It is amazing I was only able to extract about 20 $10 books (maybe) out of my 50 cent box diving taking home a shortie worth after sorting through about 10,000 comics. I'm sure I missed some, of course, but if I had paid $10 a pop per magazine box I am not sure I could make my money back on the good stuff. And, of course, it was picked through, but not THAT picked through as there were 10 pristine copies of the 52 week whatever first batwoman in there. Just goes to show that 99+% of the moderns out there are still only worth $1-2 a pop... Their value as reading material.

There is an LCS maybe 90 minutes away that is the most disorganized I've ever seen... but everything that isn't a wall book is cover price, even if they've been marked up. They had a few copies of Amazing Spider-Man #1(first Cindy Moon) that I'm going to go back for this weekend or next. If someone was willing to spend a day going through their stacks - they have probably 12 longboxes of just unsorted stuff too... there's sure to be treasure in there it's just do you want to burn an afternoon and how well do you know moderns to actually catch all of the good stuff you flip past? Total honeypot though, most customers are just there for pops and the comics section is such a mess I'm sure it discourages browsing...

2 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

There is an LCS maybe 90 minutes away that is the most disorganized I've ever seen... but everything that isn't a wall book is cover price, even if they've been marked up. They had a few copies of Amazing Spider-Man #1(first Cindy Moon) that I'm going to go back for this weekend or next. If someone was willing to spend a day going through their stacks - they have probably 12 longboxes of just unsorted stuff too... there's sure to be treasure in there it's just do you want to burn an afternoon and how well do you know moderns to actually catch all of the good stuff you flip past? Total honeypot though, most customers are just there for pops and the comics section is such a mess I'm sure it discourages browsing...

I went to an LCS today that had most of the floor space reserved for stacks and stacks of figures/statues along with tables for Magic playing. The back issues drawers wouldn't even open all the way because of it. Very frustrating. I wont go back there.

10 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I went to an LCS today that had most of the floor space reserved for stacks and stacks of figures/statues along with tables for Magic playing. The back issues drawers wouldn't even open all the way because of it. Very frustrating. I wont go back there.

This place is similarly a nightmare. But I feel like I could go in there with a list and pull a bunch of 2015/2016 Marvel Now #1's and pay cover price for them... if I'm right it'll be worth an afternoon for a bunch of Silk #1's and Ms. Marvel #1's and I'm probably dreaming... If I'm wrong well I've wasted Saturdays before lol 

But I'm planning on really spending a good 4 or 5 hours looking through almost everything and never going back. It's 90 minutes away on top of being a wreck. That's the plan anyway lol 

1 minute ago, BoogieWoogie said:

This place is similarly a nightmare. But I feel like I could go in there with a list and pull a bunch of 2015/2016 Marvel Now #1's and pay cover price for them... if I'm right it'll be worth an afternoon for a bunch of Silk #1's and Ms. Marvel #1's and I'm probably dreaming... If I'm wrong well I've wasted Saturdays before lol 

But I'm planning on really spending a good 4 or 5 hours looking through almost everything and never going back. It's 90 minutes away on top of being a wreck. That's the plan anyway lol 

Yeah, I went to 5 shops today. A couple that Ive been to many times, but decided to drive to some more to check them out. One had a bunch of long boxes for "back issues", but it was mostly unbagged/boarded and not in any order whatsoever. I had a bunch more stops so didnt have the strength to go through them all. What I did go through, I didnt really find anything. It does make me appreciate the shops that have everything organized.

18 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I am a digger as well. I have driven that far on the smell of blood like that. Get you some lunch and have a good time. 

33 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I don't know moderns well enough for the $8-10 books that might not be discussed here. And if I sat there looking things up on my phone the store owner would get curious. As it is it mixed the batwoman and black/Adam isis books up so he wouldn't see i was buying 10 copies. I didn't want to invest the time and have him decide to limit me to one copy each. It is a shop I have not been to an years. And probably won't be back for 2 more.

26 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

As we all know, just getting at least one win makes it all worth it!

I looked up a lot of books yesterday. It is amazing how many folks list common modern books for $12-20 (getting me a little happy at first glance) that others are listing for under $5 and selling for under $5 (excitement goes away.  ). It is like they list hoping a book will get hot.

22 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I'm on the search 4 that one. I think I saw the three part story sold for $30

I've got to thank @maidenmate91 for putting me onto this cover. My LCS had just gotten in a box of goodies that had been priced but not shelved and the owner let me have a look before he sorted it into the general wares. Pulled the Franken-Castle for cover and a copy of Thing #1 that I think will press into 9.2+ territory for $5. Had a few other things I liked in there but then I found all the X-Factor #2's and decided to call it a night. Gotta leave some stuff for the other collectors (:

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

Yeah, I went to 5 shops today. A couple that Ive been to many times, but decided to drive to some more to check them out. One had a bunch of long boxes for "back issues", but it was mostly unbagged/boarded and not in any order whatsoever. I had a bunch more stops so didnt have the strength to go through them all. What I did go through, I didnt really find anything. It does make me appreciate the shops that have everything organized.

I went by duncanville bookstore and they have it done right, they did an ok offer on 12 books of mine. I got a $100 and I have peace,there are times when LCS can be stressful, but they were cool. Had a decent back issue bin too. Kind of squared off and hard to get to if you've never been there before. The place is clean and it was fun!

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I went by duncanville bookstore and they have it done right, they did an ok offer on 12 books of mine. I got a $100 and I have peace,there are times when LCS can be stressful, but they were cool. Had a decent back issue bin too. Kind of squared off and hard to get to if you've never been there before. The place is clean and it was fun!

Yeah, I like Duncanville Been there a couple times. Its just a drive for me. Ive seen them at more cons than actually been to their store. haha.

19 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Yeah, I like Duncanville Been there a couple times. Its just a drive for me. Ive seen them at more cons than actually been to their store. haha.

Same here lol

They do live Facebook videos where you can claim and pay via PayPal.  I watch some nights while the TV is on  :)

Monday has some $5 and priced, Thursdays the same but also has slabs, sometimes cgc sometimes other

4 hours ago, Plantman said:

Near mint copies of War of the Realms: New Agents of Atlas #1 were sold for over $50 each this weekend on eBay. My local shops had plenty of supply when the book was released. So far that has not held it back.

Not only that, but Marvel double shipped the book.  I was mad at the time - thought for sure they’d killed it.

53 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Not only that, but Marvel double shipped the book.  I was mad at the time - thought for sure they’d killed it.

;luckily they only doubled the cover A's, the incentives didnt get doubled

Edited by williamblood

Time to post some recent Modern Age sales (mostly thanks to the information received on these boards.) Hats-off to all of you! :bigsmile:

•  
  •  
  •  

•  
  •  
  •  

6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I havent looked, but I would think the print run would only be around 35K or so? Anyone?

What are your thoughts (or anyone else who has any additional insight) going forward on the 2nd print by Jeehyung Lee Luna - Snow Variant?

Edited by CHASEnBLUE