• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

Use a softer business card or something similar to always slide under the spine side of book to prop it up enough to grab and flip over/remove from the scanner bed.  This mitigates handling stress when dealing with higher priced books.  I wear gloves when handling most books as well because many modern comics are very susceptible to finger printing/smudging, especially.  Have the backing board for the book at the ready when you remove comic from the bed so you immediately have it on a sturdy base to transport away from the scanner and into the bag.  I also suggest using some darker piece of construction paper or the like to place on top of the book when scanning.  This gives the book a better contrast versus the white scanner lid background, and keeps the lid from making direct contact with the book.  

Thank you! I don't think I would have been able to intuit all that. I imagine you also scan with the spine away from the hinge or closer to where the clamshell opens?

3 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Thank you! I don't think I would have been able to intuit all that. I imagine you also scan with the spine away from the hinge or closer to where the clamshell opens?

doesn't matter which way it is oriented on the bed as far as the removal.  Still, always use something to slide under the spine side to lift the book gently.  If you don't you risk trying to grab the book straight from the bed with your hand and you could cause a cover rumple/indents/edge bend etc.  Again, with higher priced moderns especially Marvel books with their rice paper thin covers, trying to take book in and out by grabbing without something to prop it up first, or just sliding it over the edge, is going to cause damage that I can guarantee.  I sweat a little every time I'm handling 9.6+ raw moderns with higher values as I have damaged some books in my day even using these techniques.  At the end of the day it is a learning process, and mistakes probably will happen.

10 hours ago, siro123 said:

Captain America #25 Is popping and will probably go nuclear Friday.

Cap 25 Fleabay

Department of Truth #1 is selling well.

Department #1 Fleabay

Uncanny X-men #282 

Uncanny Fleabay

I think I sold my 25s too early. I had no idea this is how it would play out. 

But you really cant complain when you buy a book for $1 or 3 and sell it for $30.

6 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

The shows are HUGE. FATWS is said to have an audience of 2 million people per week. If 1% of 1% of that audience decides to look for key issues related to episodes as they run... that's a lot of new buys suddenly looking for an issue all at once Friday night/Saturday morning and a bit beyond. But the thing is these story beats are somewhat predictable for comics fans. Not totally, see Mephisto, but we all saw ASM Annual 16 before it really blew up, same with Cap 25, and if Bishop is doing this with no news then yeah X-Men 282 will only get bigger. 

All you have to do is follow these threads. Truthfully I picked up Disney+ but I haven't checked out Wandavision or FATWS yet. But I have been picking up copies of Truth #1 for like a year so I made out okay all the same. Not sure if I'll hit on anything for Loki but there is still plenty of time to pick up TVA books...

Yes anymore I just follow the shows. My sales show it as well, not all, but probably 30% of my sales are now related to shows as they are playing.

9 minutes ago, HighRadArt said:

I try to stay away from confrontation here because it never ends well but in this case I will second this.

good lord, you asked if this was "old news" and all I said is that it was "ancient news".. in this market, old news is about a week old and ancient is more than 3 weeks

4 hours ago, iggy said:

Shang-Chi Super Issue #1 (2009 One-Shot) seems to be gaining interest.

In a market where US Agent #1 can sell for $15, it may be worth keeping an eye out for the Moon Knight Special from 1992 when you're digging through dollar bins. Features a team-up with Shang-Chi. With both being featured in other media soon, it might be worth snagging for $1-2.  

27864F13-C682-449F-88CD-8D4640DE9BB3.thumb.jpeg.ff302a90eaa6baa0c171d00b3a7bd7e1.jpeg

Edited by awakeintheashes

33 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

In a market where US Agent #1 can sell for $15, it may be worth keeping an eye out for the Moon Knight Special from 1992 when you're digging through dollar bins. Features a team-up with Shang-Chi. With both being featured in other media soon, it might be worth snagging for $1-2.  

300?cb=20110812193331

the moon knight special editions are all of a sudden expensive already, shang chi or not. its almost like folks don't realize they are reprints and they are ignoring the original source material in the hulk mag

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

the moon knight special editions are all of a sudden expensive already, shang chi or not. its almost like folks don't realize they are reprints and they are ignoring the original source material in the hulk mag

The one I think you are referring to has increased in price. The one I posted can still be found for $1-2 online and in dollar bins. 

4 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

The one I think you are referring to has increased in price. The one I posted can still be found for $1-2 online and in dollar bins. 

the shang chi is 10 years kater, right

39 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

One local shop owner is already limiting his copies to one per person. He usually doesn't care but the FOMO crowd have been calling him all day to see if he has a copy. He doesn't put out his DC comics until Wednesday but more than likely he won't put them on the shelf. He'll just put them under the counter and he will sell them to file customers who want a copy first.

1 minute ago, kairos70 said:

One local shop owner is already limiting his copies to one per person. He usually doesn't care but the FOMO crowd have been calling him all day to see if he has a copy. He doesn't put out his DC comics until Wednesday but more than likely he won't put them on the shelf. He'll just put them under the counter and he will sell them to file customers who want a copy first.

Midtown had them 1 per all week and look to be sold out today and TFAW had been sold out for a while.  I pre-ordered some because I figured this would happen and to make sets. I guess if you redeem the codes for each issue it unlocks a special Batman skin in addition to the skins and items unlocked with each code. 

Batman/Fortnite!?!

I literally figured absolutely no one was going to care about this book and ordered 0.  MM comics had great bundle deals and I just figured it would be super over-ordered or like I said first, no one would care.  You can't ever figure out this market!

Edited by gradejunky