• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, littledoom said:

As mentioned in Copper, ASM 365 & Spider-Man 2099 1 slew of sales. 

hmm 365 was maybe a $15 book a few weeks ago, now a ton sold for $25-30. interesting.

25 minutes ago, the blob said:

how many of those ever got slabbed? was there a real reason to before a week ago? this was a $5-$10 book in january.

It was a hot book around the year of release.. fell off.. became a $20 seller last year.. glad to see 2015-18 hot books become hot again

21 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

On a side note one of my LCSs just got into slabs the past few months. They started with 5 or 10 nice slabs well  graded then all of sudden they have 200. Dozens of poor grades of 8.5 to 9.0 on modern books Their semi keys in the 70s/80s are all 6 to 8.0s. I keep asking myself who are they going to sell these too?

Same with one of mine. He had subbed 25 books (through me) in his 16 years as a retailer until the beginning of this year. He expressed interest in sending in 25 and I had no interest in doing this for him so I showed him how to do it on his own. He subbed those 25 moderns and another 175 various ages in the 2 months since that. He doesn't sell raw books valued at over $30 or so anymore as he subs them all now. 

1 hour ago, MrWeen said:

No.  You are thinking of Superboy not Superman.

I'm just mentioning what is selling.. I don't have any copies so I don't have any gain in this. I forgot Convergence 2 even had a variant. reminds me of Ellis and Val-Zod.. multiple books heating up..

6 hours ago, RJ MacReady said:

This just wasn’t the case. Everyone and their mother cared about Punchline, at least those who spec. People lined up outside shops all over the place to try and get that book. Tynion didn’t announce it in his newsletter until after FOC and it caused a straight up craze. You’re either new to the hobby or you weren’t paying attention in February of last year. This was all widely circulated information.

You are right I am new to the hobby you got me. 

6 hours ago, RJ MacReady said:

This just wasn’t the case. Everyone and their mother cared about Punchline, at least those who spec. People lined up outside shops all over the place to try and get that book. Tynion didn’t announce it in his newsletter until after FOC and it caused a straight up craze. You’re either new to the hobby or you weren’t paying attention in February of last year. This was all widely circulated information.

Exactly.

9 hours ago, RJ MacReady said:

Batman 89 was heavily ordered. Not talking about the Punchline one shot. I’m referring to her first full appearance: Hell Arisen #3. 35k print run, most of the run damaged with dull knife, and every shop under ordered or didn’t order at all because Tynion didn’t drop the news about her being in that book until after FOC for Hell Arisen #3. People lined up outside shops trying to get a copy. It was a spec wet dream, really. WB picked up the rights to use her on tv and film and she’s a really hot char for DC. But the buy in on a 9.8 is around 400 now and it’s only going up so I’m not sure it’s worth it to get in now unless you have the cash. Her book will only increase though. Hottest new char of the last couple years 

Not to be contrary but it was announced before FOC, people just didn't think the character was going to be what it became. I know for sure because I got it before FOC based on a Bleeding Cool article, which was reporting Tynion's newsletter. Of course, that was when DCBS was a little nicer so they may have just done a re-order for me; they seem to have changed management and gotten super anal/snotty about that thing, not willing to even try for a re-order with a week in between email replies now.

2 hours ago, brentdevil said:

Not to be contrary but it was announced before FOC, people just didn't think the character was going to be what it became. I know for sure because I got it before FOC based on a Bleeding Cool article, which was reporting Tynion's newsletter. Of course, that was when DCBS was a little nicer so they may have just done a re-order for me; they seem to have changed management and gotten super anal/snotty about that thing, not willing to even try for a re-order with a week in between email replies now.

Actually youre both right and wrong. I did some digging. Here’s what actually happened. Tynion dropped his news letter on January 20th, 2020. If you go read that letter, he says the first full appearance is going to be Batman #92 and that Hell Arisen 3 is Punchlines second cameo. On February 7th, 2020, DC officially puts out a press release saying Hell Arisen 3 is a “First Full Appearance”. This press release that disputes Tynion’s claim of Hell Arisen 3 being another cameo came out AFTER FOC for the book. So I mixed up Tynion’s Letter with DC’s official correction of the info within his blog. This led to mass confusion and people freaking out due to FOC for the book already having passed, driving the book to reach sales on EBay prior to release that we’re pretty nutty. The reason it was under ordered is because everyone was going by Tynions news letter and thought Hell Arisen 3 was just another cameo, and no one was buying the first two issues of Hell Arisen on top of that as it was a low print, fart in the wind mini series so barely any of #3 were ordered and THIS is what caused the shortage. It was so bad that many believed Tynion intentionally lied about Hell Arisen 3 being her first full in order to create More Hype for a book that he knew would have a quarter of the print run of Batman TOPS, if that. So I was wrong in that Tynions letter DID come out prior to that FOC, you are absolutely correct on this and thank you for correcting me on this as it drove me to go back over it all. he simply gave inaccurate info within it that everyone took at face value. But you are incorrect in that it had anything to do with people thinking she wouldn’t be worth it. Batman 89’s insane sales prove exactly the opposite. It was all about Tynions news letter and the info within that caused the mass under ordering of the book. I mean Hell Arisen 3 has been the hottest single book of both 2020 and 2021. Nothing has come out since that generated that kind of hype and I don’t know that you’ll see something so similar anytime soon as with Tynion giving bad info, it was the perfect storm. It’s more likely that Tynion thought Hell Arisen 3 actually would end up being considered a cameo. He simply was mistaken in that regard as the market and CGC said otherwise.

Edited by RJ MacReady

3 hours ago, RJ MacReady said:

But you are incorrect in that it had anything to do with people thinking she wouldn’t be worth it.

I can literally point out dozens of people on different forums that thought Punchline would go nowhere. That a few months after she first appeared it’d be worthless. Obviously we were wrong but it’s definitely part of the equation. 

5 hours ago, RJ MacReady said:

Actually youre both right and wrong. I did some digging. Here’s what actually happened. Tynion dropped his news letter on January 20th, 2020. If you go read that letter, he says the first full appearance is going to be Batman #92 and that Hell Arisen 3 is Punchlines second cameo. On February 7th, 2020, DC officially puts out a press release saying Hell Arisen 3 is a “First Full Appearance”. This press release that disputes Tynion’s claim of Hell Arisen 3 being another cameo came out AFTER FOC for the book. So I mixed up Tynion’s Letter with DC’s official correction of the info within his blog. This led to mass confusion and people freaking out due to FOC for the book already having passed, driving the book to reach sales on EBay prior to release that we’re pretty nutty. The reason it was under ordered is because everyone was going by Tynions news letter and thought Hell Arisen 3 was just another cameo, and no one was buying the first two issues of Hell Arisen on top of that as it was a low print, fart in the wind mini series so barely any of #3 were ordered and THIS is what caused the shortage. It was so bad that many believed Tynion intentionally lied about Hell Arisen 3 being her first full in order to create More Hype for a book that he knew would have a quarter of the print run of Batman TOPS, if that. So I was wrong in that Tynions letter DID come out prior to that FOC, you are absolutely correct on this and thank you for correcting me on this as it drove me to go back over it all. he simply gave inaccurate info within it that everyone took at face value. But you are incorrect in that it had anything to do with people thinking she wouldn’t be worth it. Batman 89’s insane sales prove exactly the opposite. It was all about Tynions news letter and the info within that caused the mass under ordering of the book. I mean Hell Arisen 3 has been the hottest single book of both 2020 and 2021. Nothing has come out since that generated that kind of hype and I don’t know that you’ll see something so similar anytime soon as with Tynion giving bad info, it was the perfect storm. It’s more likely that Tynion thought Hell Arisen 3 actually would end up being considered a cameo. He simply was mistaken in that regard as the market and CGC said otherwise.

I get what you're saying, I meant that people were unprepared to spec on Punchline even with advance knowledge. I mean, *I* snapped them up before FOC based on the rumor just in case, but I'm sure it wasn't the home run to other people the 'warnings' seemed to indicate it would be. They learned their lesson and now even the slightest whisper of something makes it sold out before the on sale date.

I do recall the Hell Arisen 3/Batman 89 thing was about equal as I tried to get both at the same time; I don't think it was a matter of everyone went all in on Bats 89, and were caught with their pants down on HA 3. Matter of fact, I think I thought 89 was the 'rare' one and HA 3 was an also-ran dud until you said something just now.

Edited by brentdevil