• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

I see a lot of people complaining that print run of the Something is Killing the Children 1 8th print is "super high" at 75,000 - maybe it's because I was initially into comics in the 80s/90s and seeing astronomical print runs, but is that really that high? Aside from the fact that it's an 8th printing, there are plenty of other books that had similar print runs that went on to be valuable; Ultimate Fallout 4 had a print run of 74,000 for example.

I'm not trying to compare an 8th printing of a book to the first appearance of a major, major character, I'm just trying to understand why people think $20-25 on a hot book with a print run of 75K is so overinflated - surely the demand must still outstrip the supply even at that print range, right?

Edited by Jesse-Lee

16 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I see a lot of people complaining that print run of the Something is Killing the Children 1 8th print is "super high" at 75,000 - maybe it's because I was initially into comics in the 80s/90s and seeing astronomical print runs, but is that really that high? Aside from the fact that it's an 8th printing, there are plenty of other books that had similar print runs that went on to be valuable; Ultimate Fallout 4 had a print run of 74,000 for example.

I'm not trying to compare an 8th printing of a book to the first appearance of a major, major character, I'm just trying to understand why people think $20-25 on a hot book with a print run of 75K is so overinflated - surely the demand must still outstrip the supply even at that print range, right?

Last part holds true.  High demand will sell books with a larger supply.  We've seen it with a ton of books. 

Main key is how long will there be a higher demand for the 8th print.   This print run is similar to Outcast 1.  Demand was pretty solid, but then drastically dropped off.   A CGC SS by Kirkman in 9.8 sold 2 days ago for $54.   Yikes.  

Patrick

1 minute ago, followtheleader said:

Main key is how long will there be a higher demand for the 8th print.

That's probably the key point I'm missing as I think about this - I suppose there are a lot of flippers fueling the market right now, so a better indicator will be what it's doing in 6 months. Probably similar for the Batman Fortnite stuff. FWIW, I grabbed a SIKTC at "cover price" - found a store that was selling it for $3.99, and they still had cover B of the Batman Fortnite for $5.99 so I grabbed that too for the heck of it. Even if they tank, I dig the covers, and my kid loves Fortnite.

1 hour ago, Jesse-Lee said:

this is one of the main thing that brought me back into comics 4 years ago, not just as a collector but as an investor, imagine the price of asm300 or IH181 if they had print runs that we see today. take Last of us #1 for example it had 6,032 ordered. HBO is throwing everything hey have at it to give themselves another GoT level hit. if they succeed what is the price ceiling on a book with such a low print.

Leaving aside the monetary value, can someone tell me whether SIKTC is worthwhile buying from a comics point of view? As someone coming back to collecting, it's hard for me to find something worthwhile (art and story wise) in moderns. I do like We Only Find Them When They're Dead, but that doesn't seem to have much traction here.

Edited by Albert Thurgood
corrected typo

5 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Leaving aside the monetary value, can someone tell me whether SIKTC is worthwhile buying from a comics point of view? As someone coming back to collecting, it's hard for me to find something worthwhile (art and story wise) in moderns. I do like We Only Find Them When They're Dead, but that doesn't seem to have much traction here.

It's a good story, but it's hard not to believe it's just being pumped and pumped by people who own copies. There is spec it's going to be picked up by Netflix though.

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

Except the 5th print was under 50K, so why would folks care about an 8th print with a significantly larger one? 75K is yuuuuuuge for a late print like this. between all the different prints there are a lot of #1s floating around. that this 

Sure, late prints of TNMT 1 and Bone 1 are now worth something, but it took a loooong time and those titles have some staying power. Why is the 8th print selling for $15-20? Save your money and buy the first print. the frison variant is gorgeous and is still often under $150. 

I paid double cover for the Frison variant when release week because I thought it would be worth more and passed on the regular, still salty at the store for doing that when they were in equal ratios. Is the regular that much more valuable and desirable? Don't know why this one is left in the dust since it's technically a first print.

21 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

It’s not worthwhile as far as reading goes. 

15 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

It's a good story, but it's hard not to believe it's just being pumped and pumped by people who own copies. There is spec it's going to be picked up by Netflix though.

Netflix has a first look deal with all Boom books. I read the first volume and I hated it. Boring dragged out nonsense that has been done much better before. 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:25 AM, awakeintheashes said:

On 4/21/2021 at 10:41 AM, the blob said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133735650439?hash=item1f23441487:g:6R4AAOSwzFVgf3S-

So what is the rule here, when the last $2 copy of a book gets sold off of mycomicshop (like this one and the $2.10 copy of secret warriors 2 sold on 4/16), the book immediately jumps to $10-15?

On 4/21/2021 at 10:55 AM, awakeintheashes said:

The book was released today, so whatever stock they had is what they ordered before FOC. 

It was announced back in August that it was being adapted as a movie. Similar situation to Shadecraft announcement being announced before FOC, but with much longer notice. 

Link

FWIW, I bought from Scouts Comics for the first time (25 copies at $1.99) and was pleasantly surprised today when the shipment came in. They even threw in two of the VHS editions which show sold out on the website. In a quick pre-screen, roughly 22 are 9.8 - and two of those could be a 9.9 candidate.

That being said, I ordered 25 more. Spec I know, but may be worth it down the road.

1 hour ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

FWIW, I bought from Scouts Comics for the first time (25 copies at $1.99) and was pleasantly surprised today when the shipment came in. They even threw in two of the VHS editions which show sold out on the website. In a quick pre-screen, roughly 22 are 9.8 - and two of those could be a 9.9 candidate.

That being said, I ordered 25 more. Spec I know, but may be worth it down the road.

If it is still a. $15 book in 3 months you will be a genius

2 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I paid double cover for the Frison variant when release week because I thought it would be worth more and passed on the regular, still salty at the store for doing that when they were in equal ratios. Is the regular that much more valuable and desirable? Don't know why this one is left in the dust since it's technically a first print.

I think the regular is a little more, not sure why if equal ratios. Frison cover was cooler 

18 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I found some nice newsstand of Thunderbolts 1 to 9 a few weeks back
I snagged them up for $1 piece until then I had never seen a copy.

It’s been years since I read it but I recall enjoying it when it came out. Wasn’t there a twist where Zemo actually turned out to be Hawkeye? Would be a heckuva reveal if they run that play down the road. Seems like something Feige would enjoy, even though it seems like USAgent will be their good guy leader. 

3 hours ago, the blob said:

I think the regular is a little more, not sure why if equal ratios. Frison cover was cooler 

no, regular is a lot more in 9.8. not gonna bother looking at census, maybe frison comes back as 9.8 more easily, dunno. i feel like when i sold my frison "nice" raws of the regular were maybe $50 more, but I might be misremembering

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

It’s been years since I read it but I recall enjoying it when it came out. Wasn’t there a twist where Zemo actually turned out to be Hawkeye? Would be a heckuva reveal if they run that play down the road. Seems like something Feige would enjoy, even though it seems like USAgent will be their good guy leader. 

Oh I know I was shocked at the time it was brilliant. Then later in Old Man Hawkeye when they 
reveal they betrayed the Avengers and had them killed.