• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, williamblood said:
9 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I see a lot of people complaining that print run of the Something is Killing the Children 1 8th print is "super high" at 75,000 - maybe it's because I was initially into comics in the 80s/90s and seeing astronomical print runs, but is that really that high? Aside from the fact that it's an 8th printing, there are plenty of other books that had similar print runs that went on to be valuable; Ultimate Fallout 4 had a print run of 74,000 for example.

I'm not trying to compare an 8th printing of a book to the first appearance of a major, major character, I'm just trying to understand why people think $20-25 on a hot book with a print run of 75K is so overinflated - surely the demand must still outstrip the supply even at that print range, right?

this is one of the main thing that brought me back into comics 4 years ago, not just as a collector but as an investor, imagine the price of asm300 or IH181 if they had print runs that we see today. take Last of us #1 for example it had 6,032 ordered. HBO is throwing everything hey have at it to give themselves another GoT level hit. if they succeed what is the price ceiling on a book with such a low print.

That argument rings true with many books in this current age. LoU is a good example.

The book in question above however is a little different the print run for the 8th books is more then all the other 7 prints put together. Now if Boom continues to do this with other titles then it will be less impactful. 

Edited by fastballspecial

9 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Leaving aside the monetary value, can someone tell me whether SIKTC is worthwhile buying from a comics point of view? As someone coming back to collecting, it's hard for me to find something worthwhile (art and story wise) in moderns. I do like We Only Find Them When They're Dead, but that doesn't seem to have much traction here.

You have to like that style of book. Keep in mind many pushing this book are hard speculators. If you dont like then you need to buy cheap. Buying in on the high end on a book that you don't like sucks. That being said Dept of Truth, Once and Future and looks like SIKTC will continue to see good appreciation, but SIKTC currently is pushed much harder currently and a lot of store and variants are coming with each issue now. The prices some are paying are stunning I must admit.

Edited by fastballspecial

I also bought the 1st TPB of SIKTC and was not impressed.  That said, I had at least 6-8 in my cart for pre-order at DCBS, and like a lot of other times, my order was already getting too pricey and I start dumping indies especially for whatever reason (no track record etc.?).  Kudos to those that did buy in as even if you don't like the book it is liked by many in the market, speculator or otherwise, as seen by the prices for #1A especially.

The problem with all of these books is are they going to stick with them?

I've been plowing through my non-Marvel/DCs boxes to make sure I have all my Invincibles handy (and to see if here's anything else cool in there) and they are just filled with so many books that started out with promise and hype and the creator moved on to the next thing after 10 or 20 or 30 issues or whatever. Yes, this seems bigger than many of those, and a book like Chew 1 is still worth a nice chunk and Saga is fine, but Thief of Thieves? Morning Glories? Some of them lasted a while, but just lost steam (Chew, Skullkickers..) Marvel might cancel a book after 6 issues, but they're still subject to revival.

53 minutes ago, the blob said:

The problem with all of these books is are they going to stick with them?

I try not to really think too much about that part of it. You’ll lose more money sitting on moderns hoping to cash out at their ceiling than if you sell and make a decent profit and move on to the next. 

If one of those books does take off then buy back in at the dip. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Anyone else as surprised as me about this recent sale and the reason stated about TMNT? I have about 20 of these in a box somewhere...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Age-Comics-1-CGC-9-8-1st-Color-Image-Of-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-HTF-1-/333887899548?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

11 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Anyone else as surprised as me about this recent sale and the reason stated about TMNT? I have about 20 of these in a box somewhere...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Age-Comics-1-CGC-9-8-1st-Color-Image-Of-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-HTF-1-/333887899548?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I don't think it's real.  Keep 1, send the other 19 to my address. 

Patrick 

15 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Aren't the covers of 1, 2, etc in color?

I hadn't noticed that Sentry 1 was crazy again.  Prob for a bit. 

Surprising part for me is the flip flop of interest for Cover B over the San Diego Comic Con version.  Anyone know what's driving that? 

One of the 1st books that I enjoyed so much I bought quite a few copies when it came out (was still buying via mail service!). 

I love all of the covers, so no real horse in the game. 

Patrick 

28 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Not really modern, but I just bought one for $1.50 moments ago. I was shocked to see it in the BIBs. Great book to hold onto. Awesome cover

950875C4-A868-4922-8571-42808566BDCF.thumb.jpeg.8cc0a6961a638db03e0bdc2725f39ca9.jpeg

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

I try not to really think too much about that part of it. You’ll lose more money sitting on moderns hoping to cash out at their ceiling than if you sell and make a decent profit and move on to the next. 

If one of those books does take off then buy back in at the dip. 

well, that's what I'm saying , the OP sounded like he was interested in long term prospects and such.

32 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Not really modern, but I just bought one for $1.50 moments ago. I was shocked to see it in the BIBs. Great book to hold onto. Awesome cover

950875C4-A868-4922-8571-42808566BDCF.thumb.jpeg.8cc0a6961a638db03e0bdc2725f39ca9.jpeg

Nice copy! I just did some quick digging online but yet to find any actual verification of this truly being a first full color TMNT ad in a comic. The same seller (who has high ratings) also has a 9.6 up for $500. hm

The $1.50 you paid is a steal. Raw online they have been selling for quite a bit more: new age comics 1 fantagraphics in Collectible Comics | eBay

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

You have to like that style of book. Keep in mind many pushing this book are hard speculators. If you dont like then you need to buy cheap. Buying in on the high end on a book that you don't like sucks. That being said Dept of Truth, Once and Future and looks like SIKTC will continue to see good appreciation, but SIKTC currently is pushed much harder currently and a lot of store and variants are coming with each issue now. The prices some are paying are stunning I must admit.

Honestly, I read it and I don't get the appeal. I remember I bought two of the Frison variant #1 when it came out cause she was the hot artist at the time. I never bought anymore SIKTC and I don't intend to. A $1K for a 9.8, this absolutely absurd for something that wasn't even hard to find when it came out. 

On 4/27/2021 at 10:34 AM, the blob said:

hmm 365 was maybe a $15 book a few weeks ago, now a ton sold for $25-30. interesting.

this is pretty funny. I sold a few of 365 when he cameo'd in ESV for $15, but it's been crickets since then. So bad that I pulled all my listings and just didn't bother. But you're right there's a ton of sales $25-30. Odd, especially with no news. 

On 4/28/2021 at 7:35 AM, PeterPark said:

I know Y: the Last Man jumped a while back, but I still think it is undervalued in this market. 

#1 is still undervalued IMO. I'm pretty certain FX is going to do a bang up job on the show. I buy any and all Y I see in the dollar boxes. If it blows up even halfway like WD, I think this series will draw in the casual viewer who'll go looking for the back issues, like WD. I remember when you could sell any WD back issues below #100 easily.