• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, jcjames said:

It's so fun when that happens!

I found a Goon #1 Dark Horse '03 at HPB for $0.50. It came back a 9.6

That was at the same same store that I found a Y The Last Man #1 for $1.50. That one came back 9.8 after a joey-press.

The young girl at the counter ringing it up did the same thing - she paused for a good long time looking at that YTLM B|

That particular HPB store is no longer in business though. :sorry:

I found a couple good treasures in the dollar box. We all win some and lose some. I found a Rick & Morty #1 first print at a record store, I didn't even really know what it was but had a vague idea from the spec sites so I got it. Found one of the rarest comics in my collection at a comic store $1 sale about a decade ago, but I think saying what that is would just sound ostentatious and like bragging. They didn't do a double take because it was mixed in with the regular covers of that issue, which has popped on its own now.

It's so funny to me to hear about Marvel Point One (Kamala) and Cap 25 being over 100-300 raw- heed my advice, buy it as soon as the announcement hits. I've had great luck getting both of those and Inhumans 5 by doing it the same weekend, even if I was somewhat of a Johnny-come-lately. Better to pay 25-30 for a copy then, the Marvel ones have had a small lull after announcements before skyrocketing.

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

It's so fun when that happens!

I found a Goon #1 Dark Horse '03 at HPB for $0.50. It came back a 9.6

That was at the same same store that I found a Y The Last Man #1 for $1.50. That one came back 9.8 after a joey-press.

The young girl at the counter ringing it up did the same thing - she paused for a good long time looking at that YTLM B|

That particular HPB store is no longer in business though. :sorry:

$1.50 for Y #1.  That's just awesome. 

Patrick

3 hours ago, gradejunky said:

Yep, the location by the Millennia Mall; that is their main store.  Couldn't believe it either as I just looked at it in the bin with my hand on it thinking it was a prank. Whoever priced that from a collection and put it in the bin had no idea what it was, and either did the cashier girl, though she did give a quick pause like she kind of knew it was older and much more obscure looking for a $4 price tag.  That is the exception, though.  Most of the time you'd be lucky to stealth buy a $15 book for cover before they find out about it, and that was pre-Key Collector etc.

At that store or in general? I find that right now the market moves so fast that there are deals hanging out all over the place, especially online but in local shops too. I don't believe the hype around X-Men #161 will last fwiw but I have already bought five or six copies under $10 in the last week and I've already sold two for $30 each. Stuff like that is not getting repriced at the rate the market is moving if you're quick. Secret Wars #3 heating up out of nowhere is another example, though yeah some shops do stay more on top of their moderns at least.

I found a copy of Mortal Kombat II Collector's Edition in decent FN+ shape for $2.99 just a week or so ago. I may've missed the boat to sell that for max profits but I think I can get maybe $150 for it? And that was in a local shop so there's still plenty of stuff lurking out there with how fast random stuff has been heating up. IMO video game comics continue to be an area of opportunity if you can find them in high grade. They're almost always low print.

6 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

At that store or in general? I find that right now the market moves so fast that there are deals hanging out all over the place, especially online but in local shops too. I don't believe the hype around X-Men #161 will last fwiw but I have already bought five or six copies under $10 in the last week and I've already sold two for $30 each. Stuff like that is not getting repriced at the rate the market is moving if you're quick. Secret Wars #3 heating up out of nowhere is another example, though yeah some shops do stay more on top of their moderns at least.

I found a copy of Mortal Kombat II Collector's Edition in decent FN+ shape for $2.99 just a week or so ago. I may've missed the boat to sell that for max profits but I think I can get maybe $150 for it? And that was in a local shop so there's still plenty of stuff lurking out there with how fast random stuff has been heating up. IMO video game comics continue to be an area of opportunity if you can find them in high grade. They're almost always low print.

In Orlando in general getting good books for cheap is very hard.  Coliseum is way overpriced and they only bag most back-issues with no backing board (90% of the books in the bins).  When a book gets hot they go grab the copy from the bin that has been getting beat to mess with no backing board, and plop it on the wall for ebay NM prices + 20%.  I have seen 7.0 looking books on the wall for those NM ebay prices. It is insanity.  Don't even get me started on Acme comics in Longwood with their $1 room where you'll never get good stuff from as they will tell you " that is not supposed to be in there" etc.  This is a pretty tough city to be in as a comic buyer.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

They cast the leads. I checked the census and there's a staggering 1400 copies in CGC 9.8. That seems like a lot for a very recent book.

Yup, and there are a ton of raw copies in good shape for ~$25. I sold my 9.8 for triple what I had into it, and grabbed a high grade raw for my PC. Love the book, but there's so many out there my confidence on it is low.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

They cast the leads. I checked the census and there's a staggering 1400 copies in CGC 9.8. That seems like a lot for a very recent book.

I purchased a 9.8 three months ago for $90 CAD because my kids and I read the books and I thought it would be a cool piece to have in the collection for them to look back on.  I saw the large number of 9.8 on the CGC registry and didn't think the book would climb much as a result.  I had no clue about the TV show.  I am blown away how the market moves now with the mere mention of further developing a book into another property.

I casually observe this thread in the background and it honestly feels like the comic version of Wolf of Wall Street at times.

1.jpg

2 hours ago, gradejunky said:

In Orlando in general getting good books for cheap is very hard.  Coliseum is way overpriced and they only bag most back-issues with no backing board (90% of the books in the bins).  When a book gets hot they go grab the copy from the bin that has been getting beat to mess with no backing board, and plop it on the wall for ebay NM prices + 20%.  I have seen 7.0 looking books on the wall for those NM ebay prices. It is insanity.  Don't even get me started on Acme comics in Longwood with their $1 room where you'll never get good stuff from as they will tell you " that is not supposed to be in there" etc.  This is a pretty tough city to be in as a comic buyer.

I agree call completely been there twice on vacation. If it wasn't for gods and monsters in the old mall there I wouldn't have found much of anything 

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree call completely been there twice on vacation. If it wasn't for gods and monsters in the old mall there I wouldn't have found much of anything 

Still never been to that store.

7 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

Still never been to that store.

It looks like it has changed dramatically now from the latest pictures I see of it. Looks like the bar is gone now and it 
has a ton of trades, but I didnt see any long boxes in there so I am not sure it carries back issues anymore.

36 minutes ago, BishopT said:

I hit up a Coliseum location when I was in Orlando last year, and yeah, not a fan. I did find some cool Dan Parent Betty and Veronicas but that was the extent of it. Everything was overpriced.

Yep, that about sums it up.

2 hours ago, LudaToke said:

I purchased a 9.8 three months ago for $90 CAD because my kids and I read the books and I thought it would be a cool piece to have in the collection for them to look back on.  I saw the large number of 9.8 on the CGC registry and didn't think the book would climb much as a result.  I had no clue about the TV show.  I am blown away how the market moves now with the mere mention of further developing a book into another property.

I casually observe this thread in the background and it honestly feels like the comic version of Wolf of Wall Street at times.

this is more apt for some of the speculation facebook groups. 

Edited by NWOslave

Eternals are moving again. Very nice sales last few days. Need to put up my last copies this next week.
Best speculation book ever for me probably sold an entire long box the last 2+ years. 

My Future State Wonder Woman stash is going to pay off like that for me in another couple years. I hope lol 

4 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

DM7 looks clearer to me, you?

And while I like both of those I do think FFWW1 will be the book for Yara. At least that's the one I bet on biggest :wishluck:

ill go with FFWW1 as the key book. all things considered i would say DM7 would be the cameo. and we all know how cameo's are viewed.

I personally really like that Jenny Frison cover B on issue 2 not for spec purposes just taste. 

1 minute ago, NWOslave said:

ill go with FFWW1 as the key book. all things considered i would say DM7 would be the cameo. and we all know how cameo's are viewed.

I personally really like that Jenny Frison cover B on issue 2 not for spec purposes just taste. 

I think both of the Frison covers are great and I have I think 3 copies of each for issues 1 and 2... but I have... substantially more copies of Cover A, 2nd print Cover A, and I ordered 15 copies of Wonder Girl 1 Cover A to go along with a couple copies of the spot foil variant. Think that spot foil variant could be the big Yara book but we'll see.

I'm genuinely excited about the story too. I hope Joelle Jones can give Yara a compelling rogues gallery during her run.