• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Action 1 is probably secure throughout future generations. Not as niche as a popeye or gene autry. But they're doing their best to change Superman into something I don't recognize.

You might not recognize Superman from Action Comics 1 either, as his strength was naturally derived from the much advanced Kryptonian muscles. He could LEAP great distances (not fly), and he didn't have super breath or heat vision or x-ray vision, etc. Completely different than today. I think. Wait a minute...no... it would actually be CLOSER to what it is today. Hmm. How about that.

Anyway, the story was different then, as it's continued to change and revert and change again throughout the course of the 75+ years and over 5000 Superman stories that have been written.

Even Kryptonite wouldn't be introduced until almost 10 years after the creation of Superman.** Someone reading it in 1949 might say, "they're doing their best to change Superman into something I don't recognize!"

The Silver Age gave us Super speed, Super freezing breath, Super x-ray vision, going so far as to give him super-memory, super-mathematics, super-hearing, super-HEALING...

That's the Superman we all know, right?

Well, not to someone who grew up with Supers in the Golden Age. They would say "they're doing their best to change Superman into something I don't recognize!"

Yes, Superman was evolving and changing over the course of his history, the same as he is now.

In the 70's they eliminated Kryptonite***. and started to give him a little more personality... and someone who read Supes all through the 60's might think "they're doing their best to change Superman into something I don't recognize!"

In the 80's John Byrne stripped Superman of many of his powers...his ability to lift heavy objects and fly were explained as 'tactile telekinesis' - a field that all Kryptonians could generate around an object and move with their mind.

Someone was REALLY doing their best turning Superman into something others didn't recognize!

His powers increased in the 90's (who's didn't?), until he was once again one of the most powerful characters, and one that more people might recognize, though I'm not sure who, as his print numbers plummeted to all time lows.

In other words: For the love of God in heaven, do you not realize it's the same thing they've been doing for 75+ years?

** Superman #61 (though it was first used in the Superman radio show in 1943) reet!

*** Superman #233 natch!

Action 1 is probably secure throughout future generations. Not as niche as a popeye or gene autry. But they're doing their best to change Superman into something I don't recognize.

You might not recognize Superman from Action Comics 1 either, as his strength was naturally derived from the much advanced Kryptonian muscles. He could LEAP great distances (not fly), and he didn't have super breath or heat vision or x-ray vision, etc. Completely different than today.

Plus... the original Superman killed bad guys. lol

In terms of 'does it really effect the value of the book'... Has their EVER really been a modern comic in the last 20 years, who's real value has increased strictly because a movie or tv show was made about it?

I realize their are plenty of little temporary spikes that happen so that the people who are ashamed to be a part of this hobby can sell off all the previously useless copies they'd hoarded, but those aren't real increases in value, if the book just returns to being a $4 book a few months later.

When has a movie, tv show, or cartoon, REALLY increased the value of a modern comic, in the last 20 or so years?

Walking Dead was already on it's way up, but the tv show, certainly has to be seen as taking a part in it's rise.

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

What movie or tv show started that rise?

Kids growing up on Batman TAS becoming adults. It sure as shoot wasn't a result of how DC screwed up the character with the new 52.

So you're saying, 17 years after the show was on, those who grew up watching it decided to suddenly hunt down the comic with her first appearance?

No it must have been the 30k readers of her first solo series and Gotham City Sirens that led to the demand for that book. Surely it had nothing to do with all those kids that grew up watching that show at any point during the decade plus it was airing on television. Harley wasn't introduced to most comic readers/collectors through comics.

She wasn't? I was watching Batman Adventures with my son back in those days AND collecting comics, and Mad Love was a pretty popular book when it first came out (much more so than BA12), and would over the course of the first year go to 3 printings.

I have no doubt, a lot of people may have been introduced to the character through the TV show, but she sold a lot of comics before BA12 took off.

I'd think it was more a combination of all of her appearances that slowly led to a slow building interest, especially from a new generation of fans...

Which isn't a far stretch to believe, as the same thing happened with Deadpool, without even having a cartoon.

BA 12 is a bad example because no one knew about it being her first. I remember Mad Love being a wildly popular book and one that people would pay a premium for.

I thought I was the only one who remembered Mad Love being the book to have for this character.

In terms of 'does it really effect the value of the book'... Has their EVER really been a modern comic in the last 20 years, who's real value has increased strictly because a movie or tv show was made about it?

I realize their are plenty of little temporary spikes that happen so that the people who are ashamed to be a part of this hobby can sell off all the previously useless copies they'd hoarded, but those aren't real increases in value, if the book just returns to being a $4 book a few months later.

When has a movie, tv show, or cartoon, REALLY increased the value of a modern comic, in the last 20 or so years?

Walking Dead was already on it's way up, but the tv show, certainly has to be seen as taking a part in it's rise.

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

Kids growing up on Batman TAS becoming adults. It sure as shoot wasn't a result of how DC screwed up the character with the new 52.

So you're saying, 17 years after the show was on, those who grew up watching it decided to suddenly hunt down the comic with her first appearance?

No it must have been the 30k readers of her first solo series and Gotham City Sirens that led to the demand for that book. Surely it had nothing to do with all those kids that grew up watching that show at any point during the decade plus it was airing on television. Harley wasn't introduced to most comic readers/collectors through comics.

She wasn't? I was watching Batman Adventures with my son back in those days AND collecting comics, and Mad Love was a pretty popular book when it first came out (much more so than BA12), and would over the course of the first year go to 3 printings.

I have no doubt, a lot of people may have been introduced to the character through the TV show, but she sold a lot of comics before BA12 took off.

I'd think it was more a combination of all of her appearances that slowly led to a slow building interest, especially from a new generation of fans...

Which isn't a far stretch to believe, as the same thing happened with Deadpool, without even having a cartoon.

BA 12 is a bad example because no one knew about it being her first. I remember Mad Love being a wildly popular book and one that people would pay a premium for.

I thought I was the only one who remembered Mad Love being the book to have for this character.

It is still a book to have for the character. Top HQ

1. BA 12

2. HQ 1 AH variant (it pains me to put this second)

3. Batman HQ

4. Mad Love

big drop off and these in no real order

5. Batman 570

6. HQ 1 (2000)

7. Suicide Squad (2011)

I am personally surprised that the Harley and Ivy Timm books are not higher, along with Batman: Harley and Ivy because they establish HQ's most important friendship.

Edited by drotto

You might not recognize Superman from Action Comics 1 either, as his strength was naturally derived from the much advanced Kryptonian muscles. He could LEAP great distances (not fly), and he didn't have super breath or heat vision or x-ray vision, etc. Completely different than today. I think. Wait a minute...no... it would actually be CLOSER to what it is today. Hmm. How about that.

Anyway, the story was different then, as it's continued to change and revert and change again throughout the course of the 75+ years and over 5000 Superman stories that have been written.

Even Kryptonite wouldn't be introduced until almost 10 years after the creation of Superman.** Someone reading it in 1949 might say, "they're doing their best to change Superman into something I don't recognize!"

The Silver Age gave us Super speed, Super freezing breath, Super x-ray vision, going so far as to give him super-memory, super-mathematics, super-hearing, super-HEALING...

That's the Superman we all know, right?

Well, not to someone who grew up with Supers in the Golden Age. They would say "they're doing their best to change Superman into something I don't recognize!"

Yes, Superman was evolving and changing over the course of his history, the same as he is now.

In the 70's they eliminated Kryptonite***. and started to give him a little more personality... and someone who read Supes all through the 60's might think "they're doing their best to change Superman into something I don't recognize!"

In the 80's John Byrne stripped Superman of many of his powers...his ability to lift heavy objects and fly were explained as 'tactile telekinesis' - a field that all Kryptonians could generate around an object and move with their mind.

Someone was REALLY doing their best turning Superman into something others didn't recognize!

His powers increased in the 90's (who's didn't?), until he was once again one of the most powerful characters, and one that more people might recognize, though I'm not sure who, as his print numbers plummeted to all time lows.

In other words: For the love of God in heaven, do you not realize it's the same thing they've been doing for 75+ years?

** Superman #61 (though it was first used in the Superman radio show in 1943) reet!

*** Superman #233 natch!

YOUR breath is "super."

Uncanny Xforce #20 Venom Variant at $300 for a VF raw with 1 day left. :ohnoez: Watching this one closely. :popcorn:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Force-20-Venom-Symbiote-Variant-Wolverine-Deadpool-Psylocke-/222016228328?hash=item33b132cbe8:g:1bsAAOSwpzdWtTz0

Holy Shyt! I think I have that book at home.

lol always good to find a book that you didnt know is actually worth something.

Uncanny Xforce #20 Venom Variant at $300 for a VF raw with 1 day left. :ohnoez: Watching this one closely. :popcorn:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Force-20-Venom-Symbiote-Variant-Wolverine-Deadpool-Psylocke-/222016228328?hash=item33b132cbe8:g:1bsAAOSwpzdWtTz0

But it sucks to be on the other side & know that that's a book that you don't have but needed for a collection that you weren't really focusing on at the moment. Now knowing that when you do get over to working on THAT run, at least one of the books is going to be unnecessarily expensive all of a sudden.

But it sucks to be on the other side & know that that's a book that you don't have but needed for a collection that you weren't really focusing on at the moment. Now knowing that when you do get over to working on THAT run, at least one of the books is going to be unnecessarily expensive all of a sudden.

Yeah, totally works both ways. I said the same thing about Showcase 4 for years. Instead of paying $1,500 years ago, i am pretty much priced out now.lol

What else?

Batman Adventures 12.

It is still a book to have for the character. Top HQ

1. BA 12

2. HQ 1 AH variant (it pains me to put this second)

3. Batman HQ

4. Mad Love

big drop off and these in no real order

5. Batman 570

6. HQ 1 (2000)

7. Suicide Squad (2011)

I am personally surprised that the Harley and Ivy Timm books are not higher, along with Batman: Harley and Ivy because they establish HQ's most important friendship.

I picked up Mad Love at Bmore Con last year (I already had BA12 and the AH #1). I was surprised at how "good" it was. Even though it's a "Batman Adventures" book (and "out of DCU proper) she still has the same origin, right? And it's definitely not a "kids book".

Wow dude, just wow!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=16&_nkw=Uncanny%20X%20Force%20%2320&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I'm getting in on that action.

xf20_zpsx4bs99h7.jpg

Lest we forget MetroSuperMan

123-1.jpg

That lasted for what? An hour maybe.

That was one of the first comics I ever bought! That was awesome when I was 14. I was chasing the red cover but never got it.

:jokealert:

:foryou:

JK!

lol

Hulk also has Super Breath. Who knew?

3684091-3079385-1700736628-h286_.jpg

AND, Super GIRL has super breath, but I'm not touching that joke with a... ten... foot... oh never mind...

freezebreath.jpg

That's OK, I got this.

Man, she must give super bjs'! I bet she could blow all day and night! Man I need to get laid... :sorry:

Wow dude, just wow!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=16&_nkw=Uncanny%20X%20Force%20%2320&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I'm getting in on that action.

xf20_zpsx4bs99h7.jpg

^ ^ ^ ^ Hey I just bought that from you! ^ ^ ^ ^

lol

Thanks Carter!

-J.

:jokealert:

:foryou:

JK!

lol

Hulk also has Super Breath. Who knew?

3684091-3079385-1700736628-h286_.jpg

AND, Super GIRL has super breath, but I'm not touching that joke with a... ten... foot... oh never mind...

freezebreath.jpg

That's OK, I got this.

Man, she must give super bjs'! I bet she could blow all day and night! Man I need to get laid... :sorry:

giphy.gif