• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

yeah, these books just keep going up.

Interesting side note. Wantedcomix seems to have a near endless supply of these venom variants

I remember them selling the venom variants grouped with a TPB in 2013, 2014 and 2015 , they were ending in the $5 - 30 range. over and over again. They are prolly kicking themselves now. They have sold Dozens and Dozens of each individual book. It seems to me they must have somehow acquired some, or all, of the remaining undistributed copies. Go look at their feedback, if you feel like digging and adding them up.

This is what always scares me about these modern 1: variants. The print run numbers are complete guesses based on ratios and there is no guarantee how many were actually printed, and where the undistributed copies end up.

Here is an old sale from page #200 of their feedback:

More than a year ago

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #633 1:50 VENOM VARIANT COVER SCARCE & FREE THOR HERUCLES 1 (#400550069813) US $22.50

22 bucks and a free TPB lol They have sold dozens of this book, and it seems they still have more.

I notice wantedcomix has auctioned off a few of the JIM 633 Venom as well. They seem to be the only one that has auctioned any off. The last one, they said was in raw 7.0 condition and it still went strong.

With only a ~23,000 copies of the regular cover distributed and it being a 1:50, it's hard to fathom any scenario where very many more than ~400 copies of the variant being distributed, let alone printed.

-J.

Your math is off buddy lol.

Interesting side note. Wantedcomix seems to have a near endless supply of these venom variants

I remember them selling the venom variants grouped with a TPB in 2013, 2014 and 2015 , they were ending in the $5 - 30 range. over and over again. They are prolly kicking themselves now. They have sold Dozens and Dozens of each individual book. It seems to me they must have somehow acquired some, or all, of the remaining undistributed copies. Go look at their feedback, if you feel like digging and adding them up.

This is what always scares me about these modern 1: variants. The print run numbers are complete guesses based on ratios and there is no guarantee how many were actually printed, and where the undistributed copies end up.

More than a year ago

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #633 1:50 VENOM VARIANT COVER SCARCE & FREE THOR HERUCLES 1 (#400550069813) US $22.50

22 bucks and a free TPB lol They have sold dozens of this book, and it seems they still have more.

I notice wantedcomix has auctioned off a few of the JIM 633 Venom as well. They seem to be the only one that has auctioned any off. The last one, they said was in raw 7.0 condition and it still went strong.

With only a ~23,000 copies of the regular cover distributed and it being a 1:50, it's hard to fathom any scenario where very many more than ~400 copies of the variant being distributed, let alone printed.

-J.

Wait, you cant fathom a scenario where a Venom variant cover might be over produced? I can think of a decades worth of scenarios... (especially after seeing the demand for other venom variant covers....) hm

Originally posted by ygogolak in the comics you cannot find at your LCS thread.

Static 45 final issue sporting cool cover art by Mobius is moving and selling strong since his post. It's had a solid value of 50-100 bucks for a while now but looks like interest has picked up.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=static+45+comic&isNewKw=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Edited by FrankWhite

More than a year ago

-J.

:eyeroll: Care to explain how?

-J.

More than a year ago

-J.

-J.

Because you didn't do exact math and get 460. (tsk):slapfight:

More than a year ago

-J.

-J.

lol I hope that's a joke. Either that or that people didn't know what I meant with a "~" in front of the numbers.

Also, 460 would assume all shops' orders were in quantities of 50+ to qualify- an unlikely scenario, and particularly since JIM was a title on its last legs at the time.

-J.

Static 45 final issue sporting cool cover art by Mobius is moving and selling strong since his post. It's had a solid value of 50-100 bucks for a while now but looks like interest has picked up.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=static+45+comic&isNewKw=1&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Is there any way to find out what the seller accepted as the best offer price? That is without contacting the seller directly?

Is there any way to find out what the seller accepted as the best offer price? That is without contacting the seller directly?

$124.00 watchount.com

$124.00 watchount.com

Yet there's one up with a $50 BIN

More than a year ago

-J.

-J.

I'm not humoring foolishness. Enjoy your day sir ;)

Edited by FrankWhite

$124.00 watchount.com

Yet there's one up with a $50 BIN

Should take a better look at the details. Read the discription on that 50.00 BIN "Damage to lower left corner".

You can clearly see the damage from the black on back cover. It's not even close to a high NM.

Would you pay more than 50.00 for that copy???

I would not. Considering there is only 1 9.8 and 1 9.6 graded I would say 124.00 for a potential 9.6 is a good buy. Personally I am done taking risks on raw books for over 100.00 on eBay.

If anyone has a high grade copy NM-M please let me know.

I'm sure we can work something out.

Edited by FrankWhite

$124.00 watchcount.com

Thanks (thumbs u

More than a year ago

-J.

-J.

lol I hope that's a joke. Either that or that people didn't know what I meant with a "~" in front of the numbers.

Also, 460 would assume all shops' orders were in quantities of 50+ to qualify- an unlikely scenario, and particularly since JIM was a title on its last legs at the time.

-J.

This is why I said its curious wantedcomix had so many copies. Ive counted using sold sales from their feedback and im at 28 separate copies of JIM 633 venom variant. There is no way they ordered 1,400 copies of the regular issue to qualify for all of these. Thor # 10 as well, im at 35 separate copies of that venom variant that they have sold in the past 3 years.

They somehow got a hold of the undistributed, non-qualified for, venom variants back 3 years ago. Probably from Diamond.

That's the fallacy with these LOW print run " guesses"

So you are at 460 copies based on diamond orders of the regular issue, and stress that obviously not all shops qualified to get this issue. So its even lower?

Sorry that's not how it works. They don't wait until diamond gets its orders from the stores and then go back and print and second batch of these books with the variant cover based on those orders. It would be severely cost inefficient to do so. They print them all at the same time. They would typically use previous sales numbers to get a base number to print for the variant like the 460 you came up with, knowing that not all retailers would qualify. Round numbers make sense. It would make much more sense that they printed 500 copies, not worrying about how many retailers qualified, just being happy that they made enough to cover that offer.

Remember that artists usually get a few copies of the covers they do, some books are given away in house as well. What happens to the balance that isn't distributed? They are surely are not used as firewood. It would be easier for diamond to just sell them a few months or a year later at cover price or lower, which is probably how WantedComix managed to get so many.

So for Journey into Mystery # 633 1:50 variant. We have to assume a scenario like this. 500 printed. A reasonable guess of about 300 copies distributed to stores that qualified for the variant. 50 copies going to artists and In house. 150 copies leftover, which are later distributed by diamond, probably offered to their largest account holders first at low prices.

More than a year ago

-J.

-J.

-J.

This is why I said its curious wantedcomix had so many copies. Ive counted using sold sales from their feedback and im at 28 separate copies of JIM 633 venom variant. There is no way they ordered 1,400 copies of the regular issue to qualify for all of these. Thor # 10 as well, im at 35 separate copies of that venom variant that they have sold in the past 3 years.

They somehow got a hold of the undistributed, non-qualified for, venom variants back 3 years ago. Probably from Diamond.

So you are at 460 copies based on diamond orders of the regular issue, and stress that obviously not all shops qualified to get this issue. So its even lower?

Sorry that's not how it works. They don't wait until diamond gets its orders from the stores and then go back and print and second batch of these books with the variant cover based on those orders. It would be severely cost inefficient to do so. They print them all at the same time. They would typically use previous sales numbers to get a base number to print for the variant like the 460 you came up with, knowing that not all retailers would qualify. Round numbers make sense. It would make much more sense that they printed 500 copies, not worrying about how many retailers qualified, just being happy that they made enough to cover that offer.

Remember that artists usually get a few copies of the covers they do, some books are given away in house as well. What happens to the balance that isn't distributed? They are surely are not used as firewood. It would be easier for diamond to just sell them a few months or a year later at cover price or lower, which is probably how WantedComix managed to get so many.

So for Journey into Mystery # 633 1:50 variant. We have to assume a scenario like this. 500 printed. A reasonable guess of about 300 copies distributed to stores that qualified for the variant. 50 copies going to artists and In house. 150 copies leftover, which are later distributed by diamond, probably offered to their largest account holders first at low prices.

Thank you...someone that has a realistic sense of print numbers!

More than a year ago

-J.

-J.

-J.

Even on the outside of both extremes, our estimated numbers are not very far apart. In fact, we are probably quibbling over a less than 100 copies difference. (thumbs u

Either way, the JIM 633 Venom is easily going to be the scarcest Venom variant of the group given the title's sales figures, regardless of which single comic shop managed to get their hands on whatever scant copies were leftover.

-J.

More than a year ago

-J.

-J.

-J.

Even on the outside of both extremes, our estimated numbers are not very far apart. In fact, we are probably quibbling over a less than 100 copies difference. (thumbs u

Either way, the JIM 633 Venom is easily going to be the scarcest Venom variant of the group given the title's sales figures, regardless of which single comic shop managed to get their hands on whatever scant copies were leftover.

-J.

I agree with you. Its not far apart. What has always concerned me however, is a book exploding to 2-3k because only a small amount were distributed via the 1: programs. Then collectors losing their tails off when another few hundred copies come into the market in a small period of time, by someone who managed to get a ton of the undistributed copies. This will hurt the hobby. People will be angry and quit, and that hurts us all.

I wish they ( marvel and DC and others) would see what's happening in the market with these variants and try to legitimize these variants more. I.E. Stating a true print run, possibly pulping the non- qualifying books.

Its not their responsibility , but it would help everyone IMO.