• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

Have a good weekend at Tidewater Comicon, bro ? ...each time I passed your booth seemed crowded (thumbs u GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

Saturday was non-stop...had bigger sales on Sunday...that show kicked !

DSCF10051.jpg

:whistle:

What's your point? That wasn't an incentive variant.

I believe the point is that diamond sits on a lot of books and blows them out cheap

No.

Publishers have to pay Diamond to store their overstock after a certain period of time.

When that time arrives, the PUBLISHER blows them out cheap via Diamond.

Believe what makes you feel better about yourself.

Edited by LarrysComics

I would suspect that SOMETIMES, maybe even MOST of the time, the publishers print in numbers that we would 'expect' based on sales numbers, and what we can loosely ESTIMATE based on WHAT WE THINK the distribution is for a given comic, based on the ratio. But is most 50% of time? 70%? Who knows?

Already, we've made a lot of general assumptions there, and that's just to get a very general range.

The problem is we've already seen MANY situations where not even those very general assumptions hold up.

So to make a guesstimate about any specific comic and its actual print run given the factors already mentioned - actual order number including international, extra printing upwards because of future potential shortages, printing to meet a specific discount threshold, printing to the nearest complete palette or case, extra printing for artists, execs, writers, investors, extra printing for other special occasions or promos....there's simply too many variables to even make a reasonable estimate with any VALUE.

There's just not enough KNOWN, verifiable, relevant data points to make any useful claims or estimates about specific comics. Anyone can of course, believe what they want based on the limited information they have, with whatever level of certainty they're comfortable with. But to disseminate that information with any level of useful certainty can really only be either disingenuous or ignorant, unless you're tossing in a whole boatload of disclaimers which would nearly render the statement useless to begin with.

I would suspect that SOMETIMES, maybe even MOST of the time, the publishers print in numbers that we would 'expect' based on sales numbers, and what we can loosely ESTIMATE based on WHAT WE THINK the distribution is for a given comic, based on the ratio. But is most 50% of time? 70%? Who knows?

Already, we've made a lot of general assumptions there, and that's just to get a very general range.

The problem is we've already seen MANY situations where not even those very general assumptions hold up.

So to make a guesstimate about any specific comic and its actual print run given the factors already mentioned - actual order number including international, extra printing upwards because of future potential shortages, printing to meet a specific discount threshold, printing to the nearest complete palette or case, extra printing for artists, execs, writers, investors, extra printing for other special occasions or promos....there's simply too many variables to even make a reasonable estimate with any VALUE.

There's just not enough KNOWN, verifiable, relevant data points to make any useful claims or estimates about specific comics. Anyone can of course, believe what they want based on the limited information they have, with whatever level of certainty they're comfortable with. But to disseminate that information with any level of useful certainty can really only be either disingenuous or ignorant, unless you're tossing in a whole boatload of disclaimers which would nearly render the statement useless to begin with.

There's nothing wrong with people making good faith estimates based on the data that we do have. And yes, some people on these boards are privy to more data than others.

It's only when the same two or three "print run estimate police" feel the constant need to vomit their repetitive opinions over and over and over again that the conversation goes sideways.

-J.

There's nothing wrong with people making good faith estimates based on the data that we do have. And yes, some people on these boards are privy to more data than others.

It's only when the same two or three "print run estimate police" feel the constant need to vomit their repetitive opinions over and over and over again that the conversation goes sideways.

-J.

The reason they do so is because some people would twist this information to make something seem rarer than it really is in order to flip the books. The fact that these numbers can be used improperly is why they continue to address the issue.

For the record. I am not accusing you of this. I don't know you and I'm just trying to give an impartial opinion. (thumbs u

-J.

As predicted, this is an example of those people who will report their opinion as fact, and then accuse others of doing the same when challenged.

Note the use of (actually) condescending, dismissive language, such as "print run estimate police" and "vomit their repetitive opinions."

If someone was sure of their position, they probably wouldn't need to resort to this type of language to make their point, would they...?

I invite everyone to carefully consider the evidence, and come to your own conclusions. Don't listen to any one voice, or even group of voices. Carefully consider the evidence for yourself, and see what you come up with.

As has been said, it is not possible to make "good faith estimates" with the information that is available. As for some people being "more privy to data" than others, I invite anyone with such "access" to share that data. Otherwise, it's just another way of saying "I don't have to prove what I'm saying; I know people who know things. Things!"

Don't tolerate that, for a second. Hold everyone up to higher standards.

-J.

As predicted, this is an example of those people who will report their opinion as fact, and then accuse others of doing the same when challenged.

Note the use of (actually) condescending, dismissive language, such as "print run estimate police" and "vomit their repetitive opinions."

If someone was sure of their position, they probably wouldn't need to resort to this type of language to make their point, would they...?

I invite everyone to carefully consider the evidence, and come to your own conclusions. Don't listen to any one voice, or even group of voices. Carefully consider the evidence for yourself, and see what you come up with.

As has been said, it is not possible to make "good faith estimates" with the information that is available. As for some people being "more privy to data" than others, I invite anyone with such "access" to share that data. Otherwise, it's just another way of saying "I don't have to prove what I'm saying; I know people who know things. Things!"

Those 3 certain people are correct in pointing out your folly.

Maybe if you did not foolishly imply a print run of 400 on that Venom cover? Hmmmmm

It's the blatant dishonesty and misinformation that caught my attention.

Yea you can try your nonsensical banter about me being a "newb" but that will not validate your purposeful lies.

I'm sorry but I'm compelled to call you on your bs because I think you know better. That actually makes you a lier. NOT CALLING NAMES...JUST AN EDUCATED ASSUMPTION USING THE FACTS ON HAND.

Edited by FrankWhite

-J.

Those 3 certain people are correct in pointing out your folly.

Maybe if you did not foolishly imply a print run of 400 on that Venom cover? Hmmmmm

It's the blatant dishonesty and misinformation that caught my attention.

Yea you can try your nonsensical banter about me being a "newb" but that will not validate your purposeful lies.

I'm sorry but I'm compelled to call you on your bs because I think you know better. That actually makes you a lier. NOT CALLING NAMES...JUST AN EDUCATED ASSUMPTION USING THE FACTS ON HAND.

I assume you're replying to Jaydog and not me, correct? ;)

Has he accused you of being a shill for another, more established poster yet? He does that. :(

Ah! The good old monthly print run argument. Hey next month you guys should argue who is better Kirk vs Picard for a bit of variety. :jokealert:

Maybe there should be a sticky-ed thread with print run information, that way we don't have to this dance every month. I think at this point nobody is changing anybodies opinions on the matter.

Edited by FutureFlash

Ah! The good old monthly print run argument. Hey next month you guys should argue who is better Kirk vs Picard for a bit of variety. :jokealert:

Maybe there should be a sticky-ed thread with print run information, that way we don't have to this dance every month. I think at this point nobody is changing anybodies opinions on the matter.

Without Kirk there'd be no Picard.

Without Kirk there'd be no Picard.

hm Good point!

If it bothers you, you ought to not tolerate the spread of misinformation. If you want to boil it down to "he said, she said", then you're giving tacit approval to it.

There is no "argument", because there's nothing to argue. This isn't "opinion" being argued. This is cold, hard fact against misinformation. So pick a side, FutureFlash: the side of sober, critical analysis, or the side of "let's make stuff up because it sounds good, for whatever reason."

And if you think it's just one "valid opinion" vs. another equally "valid opinion", you're not paying attention.

To those who have a problem with the "argument"

If you wouldn't tolerate the misinformation when it's posted, others of us wouldn't need to correct that misinformation.

If you tolerate it, and look at it as nothing more than "just different opinions", then, yes, people are going to correct it when it comes up.

You ought to notice the pattern by now: someone posts the same erroneous information, which is where it always "starts."

If someone kept posting "2 + 2 = 5" would you get annoyed with people who came along and said "no, 2 + 2 = 4"....?

I suspect some of you probably would.

-J.

Do you include yourself in this "vomit" cause it sure smells that way