• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

If anyone is in the Charleston, SC, area, Soundwave Comics in Summerville has a lot of the Wonder Woman and Flash rebirths. I picked up a regular and variant cover today. It's limited to one per customer, but there was a large stack remaining.

Dragon's Lair in Fayetteville still has some of both as well Chase (thumbs u

At least they did yesterday. They've also got copies of Batman, Superman, and Green Arrow too.

Does anyone know if there are newsstand versions of Rebirth 0 or any of the #1s?

Haven't seen Rebirths but I did see newsstand WW #1 and Aquaman #1 at Books-a-Million today.

I was wondering this too... looks like I'm going to have to make a quick run across the dam tomorrow before work and check BaM.

Also, did you notice if they were price variants?

Edited by BishopT

So yeah... That cbsi unpressable defects podcast on iTunes is so good...

I'm on vacation but will catch up next week. What were the main topics of discussion?

Hey man enjoy your vacation. Podcast was good mostly rebirth talk, 2nd printings and problems with new cgc cases.

So yeah... That cbsi unpressable defects podcast on iTunes is so good...

I'm on vacation but will catch up next week. What were the main topics of discussion?

Hey man enjoy your vacation. Podcast was good mostly rebirth talk, 2nd printings and problems with new cgc cases.

(thumbs u

They were $2.99. I don't know if people made runs on them or not but there were only those 2 there. It's not a location that gets picked, either.

They JUST got Superman 52, which is weird.

I was in PA earlier today and stopped by the Books A Million in Springfield.

Saw no newsstands, nor virtually any direct market Rebirth books, either.

Either that shop is hit by some hardcore pickers, or their orders are very low.Probably a combination of the two.

Judging by their back issue boxes....the complete lack of titles like Harley, SS, Deadpool etc with picked over runs of Detective (literally no Jock covers, early Damian app's....anything that was worth buying was missing) I would say it's nothing but commons.

On my vacation so far I have been to 4 shops in 4 states.(Its all my wife has let me so far.) So far here is what I have seen. I will detail this later in Comics General next week in a larger write up.

I can tell you Rebirth is doing well. Its not the sell out yet at shops. It is selling well, but Ive still been to shops with 20+ copies of Batman and 50+ copies of Superman.

Where some of these shops are making a mistake is not limiting buyers in how many they can get. I know this brings up all types of whining here about restriction, but opportunities like this for shops don't come too often I hope they are making the most of it.

I watched one shop owner take new customers thru all the new books on the rack explaining which would be good reads for his younger kids. I watched another give me a tour of his shop and both new and back issues.(I was impressed with this.)

Some shops are very well proud of their variants and hot back issues. So much so they ask 25-40% above eBay's ending prices. I am not sure where they correct balance is, but man to see a book that routinely sells for $30-40 and the shop has it for $50-60 is pretty staggering.

I had a shop take a book out of my hand for the first time and re-price it right in front of me. That's a first for me in many years.

Another shop gave me a discount for paying cash while another gave me a card as I spend X amount of dollars I will get a discount as well. I was happy with both these approaches and will definitely go back to both shops next time I am in that area.

What I really liked best was people are still actively reading and searching for back issues in all shops. When I stop seeing that then I will worry since the latest Yahoo article has invited a lot of new money into our hobby over the next year.

I'm on vacation too. Not stepping in a comic shop while I'm here. I have been reading a lot of stuff. I will say this. I visited the same lcs for over 15 years, though not exclusively, and quit going over limits. I literally spent over $500 a month on a bad month, and $1000+ most months until the day he limited my purchase. Haven't been back since. I'm sure he is doing fine with current market conditions but I was buying the same when he was barely keeping his doors open. I think when all of the johnny come latelys head to the NBT and comics aren't in tge sane demand, he will regret losing a lot of regular customers to Midtown, MCS, and TFAW.

These people didn't learn anything in the 90's, and most of them weren't around to experience the bloodbath.

There were some 8,000-10,000 unique Diamond accounts in 1993...and that was when there were multiple distributors.

Now, there are...2,000? 1,500? And that's UP.

No.

2,000+ b&m unique diamond accounts. ( most shops have multiples as do I )

example: If I have a shop, mail order & show account.

I count as one.

at ComicsPro meeting this year Diamond announced that B&M accounts broke 2,000.

Triple that for total Diamond accounts.

Minimum.

( Any shop in business since the 90's really, REALLY appreciates your concern O learned one....)

Well, you totally butchered that quote, so I'll try and piece together what you actually said.

First, I'm not counting your multiple accounts AS multiple accounts.

Notice the number: "At ComicsPro meeting this year Diamond announced that B&M accounts broke 2,000."

Notice what I said: "...unique Diamond accounts...Now, there are...2,000?"

Give or take a few hundred here and there. Your "three" Diamond accounts aren't all unique DIamond accounts. That's ONE unique Diamond account. You.

Suffice it to say, there were 3-5 times that amount at the height of the early 90's.

As far as making it through the 90's, I still scratch my head as to how you managed. Trust fund...? Sugar mama...?

lol...

Ok, Yes.

My shop counts as one.

I REALLY tried to use my words.....

My point:

#1-The number of brick & mortar shops is up. And growing.

#2- The number of Diamond accounts is up. And growing.

That is all.

( As far as making it through the 90's, I still scratch my head as to how I managed after my dancing career fell apart )

Which is still extremely down from the early 90's, which was the point. But it's nice to hear that accounts are growing, though..... Larry, do you believe there's still room for much more growth? With digital comics, online discounted new comic sales, most areas having at least one big store.... can it grow more?

I hope so.

Diamond's minimums are as low as they've ever been, which is good.... it certainly helped a smaller shop like mine get started and grow over the year and a half I've been open. And the Publisher's have slowly eased their policies on things... DC's return policy on Rebirth, I think could be the start of something interesting for the Big Two....

With digital comics, online discounted new comic sales, most areas having at least one big store.... can it grow more?

And the 90's were down from the 40's

*shrug*

Most fans want to visit a LCS for the spectacle, community & service, the skinflint here are the minority & ultimately they will nit pick online discounters out of business. ( All my books were not 9.8 refund me, wahhhh )

Digital has been monstrous for my shop.

Huge.

Free advertising. More eyes on comics are a good thing.

Example: New guy in shop yesterday was a lapsed fan from the 80's...

His wife bought him Marvel sub for his I-Pud

Spent $700 on books he wanted to own after perusing online.

We gave him concierge level service too, a kid walked him through everything he needed to know. He is an art director & was blown away by shops drink & draw that was underway & is supposed to attend next week.

Digital rules!

It's the spinner rack du jour.

This is the future I dreamt of as a kid.

Comic book tv shows, comic book movies, Comics accepted by mainstream public.

I love this business....

Fans consider comics art / comfort. They want to possess them.

Tiny tactile treasures.

Big future.

BIG.

Yeah, my shop is in an area that didn't have one for almost 10 years, so most of my customers were familiar with digital and yet still delighted to have an actual comic book store in the area to buy the real thing.... The spinner rack for a new generation indeed...

Diamond's minimums are as low as they've ever been, which is good.... it certainly helped a smaller shop like mine get started and grow over the year and a half I've been open. And the Publisher's have slowly eased their policies on things... DC's return policy on Rebirth, I think could be the start of something interesting for the Big Two....

Chuck can you explain this new return policy on Rebirth? I heard a shop owner reference it yesterday and I just didn't get it. Was there a minimum or maximum amount that could be returned before Rebirth?

And I can tell that the number of B&M shops is growing. In 2007, there were two shops in a 50 mile radius from my home. Now, there are 6. One just opened and is just 10 minutes away from me.

But the newer shops are scary for me. The people running them aren't comic people. I think they see a business opportunity. They don't know how to run a comics shop. I asked about starting a pullbox at the newest shop and I got this blank stare. The other thing is shops around here have done well when they do comics AND something else, usually used games and DVDs.

DC made the Rebirth books 100% returnable for retailers, which is a very rare thing for Marvel OR DC to do....

It was smart, because even WITH that, many retailers under ordered on Rebirth because they kept thinking of Convergence and how slow the DC line has been. I got 6X the number of request for AQUAMAN than I normally do.

And yeah... I actually can;t see having anything left to return to them... it's been a major hit so far.

Does anybody have an Ollie's store nearby? I stopped by one in North Charleston, SC, yesterday, and they had bundles of old comics. It was one of those "$20 worth of comics for only $5.99!" deals. They all had a mix of Marvel, DC, and other publishers. I haven't bought any but didn't know if it might be worth it to try.

Does anybody have an Ollie's store nearby? I stopped by one in North Charleston, SC, yesterday, and they had bundles of old comics. It was one of those "$20 worth of comics for only $5.99!" deals. They all had a mix of Marvel, DC, and other publishers. I haven't bought any but didn't know if it might be worth it to try.

Seems like a lot of places are trying this now. One of the dollar stores has two packs as well.