• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

Book has been out for three years. It was a 20 dollar book a month ago, why would it have staying power?

Because people know about it and the artist now and it features a bad-azz rendition of a character with surging popularity.

Why wouldn't it?

Don't like it, don't buy it. But your irrelevant opinions don't change the fact that it is hot and merits mention in this thread.

-J.

questioning a book's staying power isn't an irrelevant opinion.

Book has been out for three years. It was a 20 dollar book a month ago, why would it have staying power?

Because people know about it and the artist now and it features a bad-azz rendition of a character with surging popularity.

Why wouldn't it?

Don't like it, don't buy it. But your irrelevant opinions don't change the fact that it is hot and merits mention in this thread.

-J.

I still don't understand this 'know about it' reason that gets referenced so often with such certainty. This isn't a 25 year old book, variants were a 'thing' 3 years ago. Was this some super secret under the radar unannounced cover? I could see it if you were talking about a surge of new variant collectors that entered the market in the gap between it's release and now, but otherwise, this reasoning is always suspect to me.

I don't know a single comic book hound, let alone a variant hunter, that isn't camped out online and reading solicitations.

I don't get it. You gripe when a new book comes out (or is "pre-sold") and goes up in value. And you gripe when an older book is discovered by the masses and goes up.

Some books are released with little fanfare. And the spec game even three years ago was nothing like it is now. It happens. It obviously happened here.

If it all baffles and befuddles you to such an extent, maybe you should just consider quitting this thread altogether.

-J.

You either are confusing me for someone else, or you're making things up.

Also, nice way to totally drop and run from your "they know about it now" statement without defending it at all with any... I don't know... rationality.

Sufficeth to say, that, in debuting at #34 on the sales charts with barely 48,000 copies of the regular covers sold, the title didn't exactly set the world alight.

And it's also getting tiresome hearing from the peanut gallery whenever someone deigns to point out a book that is heating up. THAT'S WHAT THIS THREAD IS FOR. if you don't like it, take your petty snark to another thread. Or try contributing positively to it for once with some of your own observations. But for god's sake, whatever you do, change the channel man.

-J.

I don't have a problem with "books heating up" - I have a problem when the reason given for it is a tissue paper thin one that is dropped like it's a fact. I'm going to question those reasons. It isn't personal, it's about the information being presented as if it were some sort of fact.

Also, I don't appreciate your tone, perhaps you should be more considerate to people, this is after all a discussion forum, not your own personal area on the internet to navel gaze.

You're in no position to tell me or anyone else to leave a thread, certainly not when you're the one that appears to have a problem being civil in this particular instance.

I'm not "telling" anyone to leave the thread.

Simply pointing out that this thread has slowed down to a crawl thanks to a small cabal of self-appointed comic book police who seem to believe they should have some kind of advance approval on what books are or are not pointed out here. No, no one has come right out and said that, but the constant peanut gallery snark that is tossed about like so much cow dung at a county fair whenever someone does point out a book heating up should stop (unless of course you really do just want the thread to die for some reason).

And see my edited post above for "why" the book I mentioned likely did fly under a lot of people's radars. And guess what ? I am alerted to older books all the time that I missed. There are a lot of books that come out every week and even a savvy collector can miss books sometimes (particularly a variant hunter, like me). I didn't even know about ASM 667 D'O until nearly a year after it came out. So yeah, this thread, and other sites can be useful for showing collectors (like me!) books they have missed, books they would have liked had they seen them when they first came out, and can make them want to seek them out. Is this rocket science? I think not. This is a board for talking about comics. So can we talk about comics , dammit?

Please, all you guys that used to post in this thread, don't let this little clique of party poopers stop you from showing guys like me what books we should be taking a look at or might have missed. That includes you divad! lol

-J.

Going forward, I will try to hold my tongue when people sagely state that a particular book is heating up because it's becoming popular. Sorry for any confusion.

And it's also getting tiresome hearing from the peanut gallery whenever someone deigns to point out a book that is heating up. THAT'S WHAT THIS THREAD IS FOR. if you don't like it, take your petty snark to another thread. Or try contributing positively to it for once with some of your own observations. But for god's sake, whatever you do, change the channel man.

Perhaps it is you who should find a home elsewhere, or just stop mentioning books in this thread, if you are going to get upset every time a book mentioned in this thread is criticized. This really isn't that hard to figure out and you've been told how it works countless times.

When a book is mentioned in this thread, a handful of people are going to chime in asking why. Since you don't sell books, allegedly, perhaps it is lost on you that the reason why a book is heating up is a very very important thing to consider.

Checchetto is the latest name pushed aboard the speculator hype train.

Vince McMahon would be proud.

Yeah I would agree, but I have to admit I admire the complexity of that cover.

The only variant that should be getting any hype currently is the Jones variant of GSC1 that's a perfect storm.

Perhaps it is you who should find a home elsewhere, or just stop mentioning books in this thread, if you are going to get upset every time a book mentioned in this thread is criticized. This really isn't that hard to figure out and you've been told how it works countless times.

When a book is mentioned in this thread, a handful of people are going to chime in asking why. Since you don't sell books, allegedly, perhaps it is lost on you that the reason why a book is heating up is a very very important thing to consider.

I agree you seem to belittle everyone with a counter opinion of yours. This thread has survived for years by having some acceptance of others views no matter how counter they are to your own.(And yes even if they are wrong which some are.)

Edited by Fastballspecial

The only variant that should be getting any hype currently is the Jones variant of GSC1 that's a perfect storm.

What's GSC? Gunsmith Cats is the only thing coming to my mind and that's manga.

Edited by aerischan

Please, all you guys that used to post in this thread, don't let this little clique of party poopers stop you from showing guys like me what books we should be taking a look at or might have missed. That includes you divad! lol

-J.

:acclaim:

Comin' right up! :grin:

What's GSC? Gunsmith Cats is the only thing coming to my mind and that's manga.

Sorry Gotham City Sirens.

So a few new discussion books.

Deadpool 27 Wedding Issue seems stable at $15-20 currently raw. Variants arent pullnig much more then normal issue which is suprising. About 1.5 to 2x value.

Daredevil 183 - Not rising but consistent seller at $15-20

Swamp Thing 50 - Wish I would have kept my 10 copies I had. Book is selling raw for $50-80 in high grade, but has alot of swings. Not a book to put at auction.

Flash 197 - Another consistent seller high grade raw pulls $50-80+ depending on grade. $40-70 is common. Not sure if it will rise more.

Gotham City Sirens 20-26 - Watch these books continue to rise.

Catwoman 51 - how long before raw starts pulling $100 in high grade?

Power Girl 4 Variant - Consistent $20-30 book.

Hulk 7 Variant - Whats not to love here. Book continues to climb every auction, but BIN sellers are too greedy or they would all be gone.

Planet of Symbiotes Set - $45-70 for sets.

Edited by Fastballspecial

-J.

:acclaim:

Comin' right up! :grin:

I'm glad that this has been spoken about.

Honestly it is one of the big reasons I do not like to post sometimes...and I'm new.

Can there be a separate thread where people can argue about staying power? I think heating up doesn't have to mean that its going to stay hot.

I only rarely come look at this thread where I used to look regularly. It is so much fighting that the thread is near useless

So a few new discussion books.

Deadpool 27 Wedding Issue seems stable at $15-20 currently raw. Variants arent pullnig much more then normal issue which is suprising. About 1.5 to 2x value.

Daredevil 183 - Not rising but consistent seller at $15-20

Swamp Thing 50 - Wish I would have kept my 10 copies I had. Book is selling raw for $50-80 in high grade, but has alot of swings. Not a book to put at auction.

Flash 197 - Another consistent seller high grade raw pulls $50-80+ depending on grade. $40-70 is common. Not sure if it will rise more.

Gotham City Sirens 20-26 - Watch these books continue to rise.

Catwoman 51 - how long before raw starts pulling $100 in high grade?

Power Girl 4 Variant - Consistent $20-30 book.

Hulk 7 Variant - Whats not to love here. Book continues to climb every auction, but BIN sellers are too greedy or they would all be gone.

Planet of Symbiotes Set - $45-70 for sets.

Thanks! :headbang:

Can there be a separate thread where people can argue about staying power? I think heating up doesn't have to mean that its going to stay hot.

I only rarely come look at this thread where I used to look regularly. It is so much fighting that the thread is near useless

Depending on one's reasons for reading this thread, I think whether a book will keep its value (and for how long) can be relevant to the discussion.

If you only want to know what books to buy from your LCS for a quick flip on ebay, then yeah not so much. However, if someone is buying a hot $500+ book on ebay for investment, I'm sure they wouldn't want to see it going for $100 just a few months down the line.

You could try to contribute instead

Just a thought

You could try to contribute instead

Just a thought

No...he's right.

Just a thought ;)